Notifying Judge of Interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Notifying Judge of Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi, all.

I scheduled an interview with Judge X, and later received an interview invite with Judge Y. I will interview with Judge Y after Judge X. Should I let either judge know about the interview? District court. Thanks!

objctnyrhnr

Re: Notifying Judge of Interview

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:49 pm
Hi, all.

I scheduled an interview with Judge X, and later received an interview invite with Judge Y. I will interview with Judge Y after Judge X. Should I let either judge know about the interview? District court. Thanks!
I don’t think so. They might talk, they might not. You should just take the offer that you receive right when you receive it, and then immediately withdraw from consideration with the other judge (and say why) before you even call your parents.

With this said, I think reasonable minds could differ on how to navigate this. If you are t14, your CSO might have some experience in this situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Hi, all.

I don’t think so. They might talk, they might not. You should just take the offer that you receive right when you receive it, and then immediately withdraw from consideration with the other judge (and say why) before you even call your parents.

With this said, I think reasonable minds could differ on how to navigate this. If you are t14, your CSO might have some experience in this situation.
Other take: I wouldn't tell either judge ahead of time, but at the interview either Judge X or Judge Y may ask if you have interviews with anybody else - feel free to answer that.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Hi, all.

This is very odd advice. I don't think there is any need to tell either judge about the interview or accept which ever gives you an offer first. If a judge finds out that someone they're interviewing has an interview with another judge, I highly doubt they would be upset about it.
If you've been given an offer before you interview with Judge Y, I think at that point it is fair to say to judge X that you will need some time to consider and that you are also interviewing with another judge (no need to say who or even which court unless the judge asks).
If you've interviewed with both and given an offer from one judge but would prefer to work for the other, ask for some time to consider the offer, then reach out to the other judge saying you received an offer and tell them what your timeline is.
I don't see any need to rush to accept an offer. Judges will give you at least a day or two to decide, and if in that time they discover from another judge that you're interviewing with another judge, I can't imagine any would rescind the offer. If they would, they may not be the kind of judge that would be good to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:14 pm

On accepting offers: Some judges will invite you to complete the second interview and choose between the judges if you get both offers. Other judges will extend an offer with the expectation you'll immediately accept. Do your best to find some former clerks to ask about which camp the judges fall into.

On notifying judges: Some judges won't hesitate to "poach" a clerk who's interviewing with another judge and would get it if other judges reciprocated. Other judges think that's bad etiquette, would be upset to learn they poached an interviewee from another judge, and similarly would be offended if you accepted another judge's offer before your interview. My advice is again to consult former clerks, and barring that to err on the side of keeping all the judges in the loop about your other interviews as the lower-risk strategy. It's unlikely to hurt your candidacy; in fact, having multiple interviews could make you look more desirable to both judges.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”