JSP Rates for Multi-Year Clerk Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

JSP Rates for Multi-Year Clerk

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:36 pm

If I've entered a two-year clerkship after 10 months of post-graduation legal work, do I move from JSP-11, step 1, to JSP-12, step 1, after my first two months of the clerkship? And then, after one year (when I'm through 14 months of the clerkship), will I then be able to move to JSP-13, step 1?

I'm trying to understand what the salary raise process looks like, as I've seen some people say that, depending on the court, their salaries have been set at what they started at, or they only saw increases by step (not grade) after each year.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Re: JSP Rates for Multi-Year Clerk

Post by Fireworks2016 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:26 pm

The answers to your questions are both yes in the vast majority of courts. For budget reasons, and at the judge’s discretion, they can keep you at one level, but it seems pretty rare/unusual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:50 pm

My clerkship is 13 months (judge has us stay on a month to train our replacements) and I was just informed that I'd move from 11/1 to 12/1 for the final month. I started right out of law school. As mentioned above the judge had to approve the promotion once the district deemed me eligible.

j01

New

Post by j01 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:18 pm

My impression is that the HR department prompts the judge to approve a pay raise, rather than letting them drive, so it's sort of unusual for them to decide against it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”