Unsuccessful OSCAR Season (At Least So Far), Now What? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Unsuccessful OSCAR Season (At Least So Far), Now What?

Post by purplegoldtornado » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:22 pm

Rising 3L here at a TT in the top 5%. I had an unsuccessful OSCAR season up to this point. What should my next steps be for a federal clerkship? I am amenable to clerking after practicing for a little bit, but I'd really like to go immediately after graduation. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Unsuccessful OSCAR Season (At Least So Far), Now What?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Nothing you can do besides keep applying. You can expand the range of who you applied to. Some judges move really slow. Make sure also to apply to new appointees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:01 pm

No next steps, but to keep applying...I just graduated top 20% at a T3 and have been applying to clerkships for about 14 months. Did not get my first interview until January. Still do not have a clerkship. Still continuing to apply weekly.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:05 pm

Honestly, I would extend your search to state clerkships as well. Doing a decent state clerkship can definitely be a help in getting a subsequent federal clerkship, especially when you’re at a school that presumably doesn’t have a strong federal clerkship pipeline (no disrespect meant, just an observation for most schools outside the T14).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:14 pm

nixy wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:05 pm
Honestly, I would extend your search to state clerkships as well. Doing a decent state clerkship can definitely be a help in getting a subsequent federal clerkship, especially when you’re at a school that presumably doesn’t have a strong federal clerkship pipeline (no disrespect meant, just an observation for most schools outside the T14).
This is spot on. I applied to several dozen judges as a 2L at a TTT and heard nothing. Absolute radio silence. Then I landed a clerkship with SSC gig going into 3L and was able to add that to my resume. I've gotten some bites since then and am interviewing next week with a D. Ct. judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:29 am

nixy wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:05 pm
Consider applying to magistrate judges, too. I was a district clerk in a division where most magistrate clerks went on to get district clerkships. Also, now that I’m at a firm, I find that former magistrate clerks are way more knowledgeable about pretrial than I am.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”