“Diversity” Question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

“Diversity” Question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:31 pm

I’m a first gen high school graduate, so obviously that means I’m a first gen college and law school graduate. Is this information something that judges would generally want to know? If so, should I include this info in my cover letter?

Basically I have no idea if this information is relevant or how to bring it up without it coming across as a weird non-sequitur, but if it helps me get a clerkship (or just pushes my application to the front by any margin) I’d like to include something. Any general advice (especially from former clerks who’ve reviewed applications) is welcome.

Anonymous User

Re: “Diversity” Question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:31 pm
I’m a first gen high school graduate, so obviously that means I’m a first gen college and law school graduate. Is this information something that judges would generally want to know? If so, should I include this info in my cover letter?

Basically I have no idea if this information is relevant or how to bring it up without it coming across as a weird non-sequitur, but if it helps me get a clerkship (or just pushes my application to the front by any margin) I’d like to include something. Any general advice (especially from former clerks who’ve reviewed applications) is welcome.
I am certain that would pique the interest of some judges. I would research judges who are first-gen students and mention it as a reason why you are specifically applying to their chambers. For everyone else, you could potentially sneak it into a cover letter by mentioning it in the context of career goals or volunteer work (if you volunteer with any first-gen groups). If it is too awkward to fit into a cover letter (which it may be), you should 100% let your recommenders know and they can slip it into your letters of rec.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: “Diversity” Question

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:31 pm

I'd see if you could work it into a cover letter without it coming off as awkward or forced. That sort of narrative would matter to me (and did when I reviewed applications). If you can't, as the other poster recommended, see if a professor can talk about it in a LOR.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”