List of non-compensated federal clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
charlesliu

New

List of non-compensated federal clerkships

Post by charlesliu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:16 pm

Hello Everyone

Is there a list of article III judges who offer volunteer positions?

hernani

New

Re: List of non-compensated federal clerkships

Post by hernani » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm

Are you talking about judicial internships/externships for students? I don't know how compensation works for those...but a "clerkship" is a full-time, JD-required job that pays according to the federal salary scale (based on experience and cost of living). Definitely not a volunteer-type position.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:40 pm

If you're talking about doing an actual clerkship but not getting because you're not eligible to be paid for one in the continental US, I don't think there's any list - I think people just reach out to judges they're interested in clerking for to see if they're interested, because it's not usually a formal thing that's advertised, just something that people arrange less formally. (I know of one judge who would formally advertise for an unpaid position, but this was pretty uncommon and I don't think there's as centralized list because it's uncommon.)

If you're talking about an intern/externship, most judges will do these - your school should have a list of where people have interned/externed.

theneuro

New

Post by theneuro » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:41 pm

hernani wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm
Are you talking about judicial internships/externships for students? I don't know how compensation works for those...but a "clerkship" is a full-time, JD-required job that pays according to the federal salary scale (based on experience and cost of living). Definitely not a volunteer-type position.
I think the poster means volunteer clerkships--i.e. those positions where judges hire clerks but do not pay them. Judge Kozinski always had a volunteer clerk, sometimes someone who was not eligible to work for the federal government in the United States because of immigration issues but wanted a clerkship.

To answer OP's question, sometimes judges will advertise a 'volunteer clerk' position. That's what you'd be looking for, but I'm not sure of any judges hiring for any of those positions right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:37 am

theneuro wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:41 pm
hernani wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm
I think the poster means volunteer clerkships--i.e. those positions where judges hire clerks but do not pay them. Judge Kozinski always had a volunteer clerk, sometimes someone who was not eligible to work for the federal government in the United States because of immigration issues but wanted a clerkship.

To answer OP's question, sometimes judges will advertise a 'volunteer clerk' position. That's what you'd be looking for, but I'm not sure of any judges hiring for any of those positions right now.
There are a few positions in SDNY right now listed as "unpaid."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hernani

New

Post by hernani » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:43 am

Huh, then I stand corrected. I (obviously) had no idea that volunteer clerkships were a thing. OP, if that's the position you're in wrt immigration stuff, then best of luck figuring things out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 am

Bacharach on CA10 posted about a volunteer clerkship. He's supposed to be excellent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”