Reaching out to Chambers for Update Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Reaching out to Chambers for Update

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:55 am

Is it acceptable to reach out to chambers, or a JA, for an update? If so, how does one go about it?

Had my interview nearly two months ago but haven’t heard back, so I thought I would try getting an update.

theneuro

New

Re: Reaching out to Chambers for Update

Post by theneuro » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:16 pm

You can ask the JA or have your professors reach out to chambers to ask on your behalf, but I would say it is not looking good. And if you haven’t heard back by next week, now that the Plan is opening, it’s almost certainly a no.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:45 pm

No, it's generally not acceptable. If you had a substantial change to your application, or if you have another interview scheduled but would prefer this first interview, then you could reach out, but those are basically the only appropriate situations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:17 pm

theneuro wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:16 pm
You can ask the JA or have your professors reach out to chambers to ask on your behalf, but I would say it is not looking good. And if you haven’t heard back by next week, now that the Plan is opening, it’s almost certainly a no.
Thanks! At this stage, is there any benefit to having a reference or a professor call chambers to vouch? Holding onto some slimmer of hope that the judge is waiting to interview all prospective candidates who are on-plan before making any decisions, but maybe im being too optimistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 pm

My career office told me I could reach out if I had an update (ie. have my final transcript to submit). I had a first round screener interview with a career clerk and term clerk for a COA judge in April following by a timed writing assignment. I didn't hear anything for five weeks and assumed I wasn't being considered. Then I got another interview request from a different COA judge. I called the first judge's chambers to let them know I was interviewing with another judge and to ask if I was still being considered. I was told they were moving exceptionally slow in their process and that I was still being considered. Just goes to show- it's always worth it to ask.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 pm
My career office told me I could reach out if I had an update (ie. have my final transcript to submit). I had a first round screener interview with a career clerk and term clerk for a COA judge in April following by a timed writing assignment. I didn't hear anything for five weeks and assumed I wasn't being considered. Then I got another interview request from a different COA judge. I called the first judge's chambers to let them know I was interviewing with another judge and to ask if I was still being considered. I was told they were moving exceptionally slow in their process and that I was still being considered. Just goes to show- it's always worth it to ask.
How was it worth it to ask? What did you gain by knowing that you were still being considered? I assume you still took the interview with the other judge since you didn’t have an offer in hand?

My view is that you have very little to gain by reaching out to chambers. It’s not like it’s going to make the judge suddenly remember that he/she wanted to give you an offer. And if you are still under consideration, there is a substantial chance you could hurt your chances by rubbing someone in chambers the wrong way.

I would reach out only if (1) you receive an offer from another judge and want to ask if they can give you a decision before you have to accept or (2) you have an update that would materially affect the strength of your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”