Multiple terms? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tulip718

New

Multiple terms?

Post by tulip718 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 pm

Has anyone applied to more than one term for the same judge? As in a judge has an opening for 2 or more terms on OSCAR and you are flexible about when you want to clerk so you apply to more than one opening with the judge. Is this allowed? Frowned upon?

Anonymous User

Re: Multiple terms?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 am

Normally you apply to one term but then you just indicate on your cover letter that you’re open to other terms as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 am
Normally you apply to one term but then you just indicate on your cover letter that you’re open to other terms as well.
Absolutely allowed.

I'm sure some chambers prefer what previous anon recommended so they don't get inundated, but there's also a risk that chambers will only review applicants who applied to a particular OSCAR post when hiring for that year. For me the second risk (of my application never getting seen) really outweighed the first (of mildly irking a clerk who remembers my application from the hundreds they received for another year/somehow confusing their sorting system), so I usually applied to multiple OSCAR posts unless the judge requested otherwise.

I actually got a clerkship where I had applied to multiple postings that way and nobody said a thing about it being annoying. But your sense of the risks involved may differ. It really depends on how they screen applications and time their hiring, which you could research but is probably not worth looking into for every single judge you apply to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 am
Absolutely allowed.

I'm sure some chambers prefer what previous anon recommended so they don't get inundated, but there's also a risk that chambers will only review applicants who applied to a particular OSCAR post when hiring for that year. For me the second risk (of my application never getting seen) really outweighed the first (of mildly irking a clerk who remembers my application from the hundreds they received for another year/somehow confusing their sorting system), so I usually applied to multiple OSCAR posts unless the judge requested otherwise.

I actually got a clerkship where I had applied to multiple postings that way and nobody said a thing about it being annoying. But your sense of the risks involved may differ. It really depends on how they screen applications and time their hiring, which you could research but is probably not worth looking into for every single judge you apply to.
As someone recently reviewing apps on OSCAR, I think this is great advice. The risk of only reviewing applicants who applied for a particular year is a real one, and the risk of being annoyed about seeing applications in consecutive years seems to me to be quite low.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”