Delaware chancery clerkship after a few years at biglaw worth it? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Delaware chancery clerkship after a few years at biglaw worth it?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:04 am

Recent graduate at lower T14, heading to biglaw for transactional work this fall. Missed the boat for 21-22/22-23 terms but wondering if a 1-year clerkship at Delaware chancery makes sense after 2-3 years at the firm?

Thanks!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: Delaware chancery clerkship after a few years at biglaw worth it?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm

If you want to go M&A transactional --> DE M&A litigation (for whatever reason), sure. If you want to keep doing transactional work after the clerkship, absolutely not

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:53 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm
If you want to go M&A transactional --> DE M&A litigation (for whatever reason), sure. If you want to keep doing transactional work after the clerkship, absolutely not
Thanks so much for your reply! Would you mind explaining a bit more? I do wanna continue transactional work but thought a chancery clerkship would be a great/helpful experience. Any difference between a clerkship straight after law school vs one after a couple years at a firm in terms of its value for a career in transactions?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:53 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm
Thanks so much for your reply! Would you mind explaining a bit more? I do wanna continue transactional work but thought a chancery clerkship would be a great/helpful experience. Any difference between a clerkship straight after law school vs one after a couple years at a firm in terms of its value for a career in transactions?
IMO, if you want to get better at transactional work--or any work, really--the best way to do it is to just do more of that work. DE chancery = spending a year not doing transactional work. Yeah you'll probably learn some useful deal litigation stuff, but for a transactional lawyer that's not as useful as just doing the deals themselves.

Plus, gotta factor in the loss of momentum at the firm you'll have by leaving/coming back in, definitely not worth it. The firms usually won't say it, but they hate it when people leave and come back. Super annoying for everyone--you de-staff, they replace you, you return, they have to start finding you work again.

I'm sure you'd learn interesting stuff at DE chancery, and it's a well-regarded clerkship, but if you're transactional I don't really see the professional benefit vis-a-vis another year of experience at your firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:36 pm

I actually think it could be okay. My old boss at the SEC did:
law school -> V5 M&A -> DE (Supreme Court, not CC) -> same V5 M&A -> SEC (not ENF)

He highly recommended it to me when I expressed interest in M&A. Said it was a great experience, great mentorship, and the substantive law actually came up at the cutting edge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”