Worth it to clerk again? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Worth it to clerk again?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:52 pm

YSH grad with a non-flashy district ct clerkship lined up a year after graduation as well as a job that seems like it could be a good long term fit (and is flexible with respect to me clerking again if I do it immediately after the d ct). FWIW, when I originally applied I got an interview with a pretty competitive circuit judge (think Manhattan 2d cir, SF/LA 9th cir, chicago 7th cir).

Anonymous User

Re: Worth it to clerk again?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:41 pm

Seems like this would be hard to answer without knowing more about your career goals and what you think about clerking. Are you interested in doing appellate work generally or in other prestigious opportunities where a COA clerkship could open doors? How do you feel about clerking a second year? Etc etc. The job flexibility + interest from some good courts last cycle is promising but it’s hard to answer this question without knowing more IMO.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Yeah this is an incredibly general question. For a lot of people, yes, it is worth it to double clerk. But the benefit of clerking depends on what your career goals are/what judge you'll be clerking for/how interested you are in clerking and the cost depends on what you'd be doing otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Sorry to derail, but this seems a suitable forum for my question. Is it with it to clerk a third time at COA (again, but different circuit) if you have already clerked at D CT and COA? I know in many cases the answer is no, but I’m wondering what career paths would like seeing a third clerkship (ie 1 D Ct. and 2 COAs).

(As to OP’s question I agree it is generally worth it to shoot for COA; seems to make you substantially more marketable.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:10 pm

I don't know any career paths that would *like* to see three clerkships, unless the third is SCOTUS. That doesn't mean a third clerkship will hurt you (it can suggest that you don't want to practice, though I think you can overcome this assumption), but I don't think it adds anything as a general proposition.

A specific third clerkship might, depending on the judge and location and your goals - if it's local to where you want to practice and the others aren't, if the judge is particularly connected in a way that the other two weren't, if there's something distinctive about that circuit's docket that matches your goals that isn't the case with the other two.

And if you just want to do it because you like clerking or the judge is supposed to be especially great or something, I think you can justify it on that basis. I think you can address concerns about not wanting to practice by spinning it as an opportunity that arose that was too good to pass up.

So I don't think there are really any career paths that want to see or prefer three clerkships, though I think you could do a third clerkship if you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:52 pm
YSH grad with a non-flashy district ct clerkship lined up a year after graduation as well as a job that seems like it could be a good long term fit (and is flexible with respect to me clerking again if I do it immediately after the d ct). FWIW, when I originally applied I got an interview with a pretty competitive circuit judge (think Manhattan 2d cir, SF/LA 9th cir, chicago 7th cir).
As others noted, I'd need to know more about your goals.
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:37 pm
Sorry to derail, but this seems a suitable forum for my question. Is it with it to clerk a third time at COA (again, but different circuit) if you have already clerked at D CT and COA? I know in many cases the answer is no, but I’m wondering what career paths would like seeing a third clerkship (ie 1 D Ct. and 2 COAs).

(As to OP’s question I agree it is generally worth it to shoot for COA; seems to make you substantially more marketable.)
Generally, it's a bad idea. I'd avoid doing it unless you have a very good reason. As for career paths, it's probably least likely to hurt you with government jobs. Obviously, it won't kill your career. But firms likely aren't going to love it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:07 pm

I would say one of the few good reasons to do D Ct-CoA-CoA would be if the second COA is with a feeder, which is very uncommon and still not an obvious choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:06 pm

OP here.

Not sure what goals are yet. Good chance I will want to stay at the pre clerkship job VERY long term since many folks there do so, in which case I feel like the second clerkship could be a waste? I’d probably like to become a local judge long, long term

If I don’t like that job I’d probably shoot for AUSA or a bigfed agency perhaps after a stint in private practice. Don’t necessarily view myself doing appellate since it’s so damn competitive to get into

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”