SA Offer and Multiple Clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cambriabold

New

SA Offer and Multiple Clerkships

Post by cambriabold » Wed May 05, 2021 6:18 pm

I'll be an SA at a V5 firm in the northeast this summer, and I'm trying to figure out what happens if I get an offer but then want to clerk more than once. Is it standard for firms to hold the offer open for maybe 2 years while you clerk? Or are they usually only okay with giving you 1 year? And do you have to officially accept the offer 3L fall for them to keep it open, or can you not accept/decline until the year before you'd actually start?

Anonymous User

Re: SA Offer and Multiple Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 1:14 pm

cambriabold wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:18 pm
I'll be an SA at a V5 firm in the northeast this summer, and I'm trying to figure out what happens if I get an offer but then want to clerk more than once. Is it standard for firms to hold the offer open for maybe 2 years while you clerk? Or are they usually only okay with giving you 1 year? And do you have to officially accept the offer 3L fall for them to keep it open, or can you not accept/decline until the year before you'd actually start?
My firm, a V10 most known for litigation, has no problem with holding offers open for multiple years throughout clerkships. I'm clerking for two years immediately following graduation and had no problem at all getting them to just leave my offer open throughout my entire time clerking. I did not need to formally accept or decline. I can't direct bill my bar expenses, but they will reimburse me for them when I eventually join the firm.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Whether you accept an offer or not often depends on the judge as well - some judges don't let their clerks to accept an offer until after they're done clerking, so you'd have to work that out on an case by case basis.

abc12xq

New

Post by abc12xq » Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:14 pm
cambriabold wrote:
My firm, a V10 most known for litigation, has no problem with holding offers open for multiple years throughout clerkships. I'm clerking for two years immediately following graduation and had no problem at all getting them to just leave my offer open throughout my entire time clerking. I did not need to formally accept or decline. I can't direct bill my bar expenses, but they will reimburse me for them when I eventually join the firm.
Above is true for me also.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 09, 2021 11:50 pm

abc12xq wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:14 pm
cambriabold wrote:
Above is true for me also.
Thirding. It didn't seem to be a big deal to them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”