Effects of Partisan/Polarizing Judges on Clerkship Apps Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Effects of Partisan/Polarizing Judges on Clerkship Apps

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 am

Is interning for a hyper-partisan/polarizing judge a negative on your resume when subsequently applying for clerkships to judges with opposite ideologies?

Anonymous User

Re: Effects of Partisan/Polarizing Judges on Clerkship Apps

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 am
Is interning for a hyper-partisan/polarizing judge a negative on your resume when subsequently applying for clerkships to judges with opposite ideologies?
You're going to have to be more specific about "hyper-partisan". Yes, clerking for Bill Pryor will be a negative if you want to apply to Robert Katzmann or vice-versa. But that's the extreme case. Most judges won't care.

Anonymous User

Re: Effects of Partisan/Polarizing Judges on Clerkship Apps

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 pm

I don't think there are many judges liberal enough that conservatives would care. A Katzmann internship would definitely be a plus for my judges, who are quite conservative Fed Soc star types.

Vice versa I think there's a short list of conservative judges who would raise eyebrows among most liberals. Justin Walker, Naomi Rao, Lawrence VanDyke, and Jim Ho are the four who come to mind. But like I imagine most liberal judges would view working for e.g. Thapar or Willett as fine. At the end of the day I doubt many people really care about your 1L summer internship, especially if it's e.g. in your home state and just a convenient gig.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”