Applying for 2nd Clerkship After Accepted Offer Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying for 2nd Clerkship After Accepted Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:36 pm

I have a two-year gig in a district court after graduation. My firm is aware of this and wants me back after. I’d like to come back too.

But I may have a shot at a COA, which is the kind of opportunity that I’d go for over anything else. This is all hypothetical, but how would that look if I end up applying and getting a COA clerkship? Aside from clawing back whatever bar stipend I get, is it a career mistake to shoot for a COA after accepting their offer with the intent to return after the 2 years with the district court? I don’t want to burn bridges or get a reputation for being a flake in my admittedly smaller, collegial home market.

Anonymous User

Re: Applying for 2nd Clerkship After Accepted Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:36 pm
I have a two-year gig in a district court after graduation. My firm is aware of this and wants me back after. I’d like to come back too.

But I may have a shot at a COA, which is the kind of opportunity that I’d go for over anything else. This is all hypothetical, but how would that look if I end up applying and getting a COA clerkship? Aside from clawing back whatever bar stipend I get, is it a career mistake to shoot for a COA after accepting their offer with the intent to return after the 2 years with the district court? I don’t want to burn bridges or get a reputation for being a flake in my admittedly smaller, collegial home market.
I did basically exactly this (down to the two-year d. ct. clerkship), and when I accepted the COA offer, I called my contact at the firm and told them I'd still like to come back when I finished clerking, but I understood if they couldn't "guarantee" a spot for me. They seemed happy for me and told me to stay in touch and keep them posted when I was looking for post-clerkship employment.

The post-script is that I ultimately went to a firm that offered me an above-market bonus, and not my summer firm, but I still keep in touch with people there and there is no ill-will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:14 am

In a small market, I imagine you would be a pretty hot commodity with a COA even if your firm no-offered you. In the one I'm from top candidates often get offers from every major firm in the market because firms don't have a hundred COA clerks to pick from applying to them.

If you're close with a partner or senior associate at your firm, especially one who clerked, you might float it to them, though it will probably get back to the firm's hiring people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:36 pm

I did basically exactly this (down to the two-year d. ct. clerkship), and when I accepted the COA offer, I called my contact at the firm and told them I'd still like to come back when I finished clerking, but I understood if they couldn't "guarantee" a spot for me. They seemed happy for me and told me to stay in touch and keep them posted when I was looking for post-clerkship employment.

The post-script is that I ultimately went to a firm that offered me an above-market bonus, and not my summer firm, but I still keep in touch with people there and there is no ill-will.
That’s good to know. I imagine they will have a similar response, since they were very much in favor of my first clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:14 am
In a small market, I imagine you would be a pretty hot commodity with a COA even if your firm no-offered you. In the one I'm from top candidates often get offers from every major firm in the market because firms don't have a hundred COA clerks to pick from applying to them.

If you're close with a partner or senior associate at your firm, especially one who clerked, you might float it to them, though it will probably get back to the firm's hiring people.
I guess I didn’t really consider that. There certainly aren’t a ton of clerks around here period, so I imagine that will weigh in my favor. I can reach out to someone too, just in case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”