Best and Worst Courthouse (buildings) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and Worst Courthouse (buildings)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm

anyone have insight on the parking situation at the courthouse in dallas for clerks?

Contango

New

Post by Contango » Thu May 06, 2021 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm
anyone have insight on the parking situation at the courthouse in dallas for clerks?

I'll be clerking in Dallas this coming year. Parking at the courthouse is quite limited. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that clerks don't get free parking in the little lot behind the building. There are garages nearby where you can get a spot for a monthly rate, typically an exorbitant one. I'm planning to use DART rail. From Akard you can go right into Renaissance Tower. There's a tunnel under Elm St to the Westin and you can come out at street level on Main right across the park from the federal building. Honestly can't be too much further than you would have to walk from one of the available garages anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Contango wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm

I'll be clerking in Dallas this coming year. Parking at the courthouse is quite limited. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that clerks don't get free parking in the little lot behind the building. There are garages nearby where you can get a spot for a monthly rate, typically an exorbitant one. I'm planning to use DART rail. From Akard you can go right into Renaissance Tower. There's a tunnel under Elm St to the Westin and you can come out at street level on Main right across the park from the federal building. Honestly can't be too much further than you would have to walk from one of the available garages anyway.
I have a friend who clerks there, and they told me that term clerks do not get parking spots at the courthouse.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:02 pm
The James Byrne Courthouse in Philly is shabby and very dated, inside and out. Some of the chambers have incredible views of Independence Hall, though.
This is the worst federal courthouse I've been to by far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:04 pm

Bridgeport, CT courthouse is the worst I've ever seen.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:18 pm

The Richard B. Russell in Atlanta is horrible. Ugly, boring, bad cafeteria generally. Not a fan.

The federal courthouse in Detroit is super cool, if you are in to that old school heavy art deco federal building style, and it was recently rehabbed a bit. Also has a couple of very nice ceremonial courtrooms (unlike Atlanta, whose ceremonial courtroom is just a giant boring room). Downside to Detroit is just no cafeteria at all, only a small break room place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 pm
What’s the Thurgood Marshall Courthouse like? Seems beautiful but is it functional/nice chambers/offices?
I like it. It feels very austere and formal. You feel like a real, fancy lawyer when you walk into one of the courtrooms. It's a sharp contrast to the EDNY courthouse, which is much more modern and I think boring.
I like it as well. Fancy in an old-school way. Big marble columns and floors, rich deep dark carpets, chambers have sturdy old mahogany desks, etc. The windows from clerk offices for CA2 judges are near the top of the building and have great views of Manhattan. It's also nicely located near some old-school Italian restaurants on one side and authentic dumpling spots on the other.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:24 pm

How is the John Minor Wisdom Courthouse in NOLA? Seems beautiful but very, very dark to me from photos

Also, what's everyone's favorite?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:13 pm
Will be clerking in flyover, in what appears to be a rather ordinary building. Oh well. But it got me thinking, what are the beautiful/interesting/best courthouses in the land? From modern and sleek to classic and somber to office park or bland dystopia from the regrettable post-war era, tell us about yours!
Northern District in Cleveland is really nice, newly renovated building w/ a great cafeteria.
TCR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”