Biggest Turn Off for Judges? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Biggest Turn Off for Judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Hello. I have an interview next week with a COA judge. I got this interview with him through a connection, and it’s been highly suggested to me that the offer is mine to lose. That being said, are there any major turn offs for judges in interviews? Really just wanna coast through it.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Biggest Turn Off for Judges?

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 am

I might be reading too much into "coast through it." But I'd recommend preparing for and treating the interview like you would any other. Don't treat it like it's in the bag. It could backfire. As for turn offs, judges are idiosyncratic. Talking to former clerks about the interview process will net you the best advice and insight you can get.

But I'll offer a few (obvious) things. Treat everybody you encounter with respect, gratitude, and kindness. That includes the CSOs when you go through security (if you interview in person). Be confident, but don't be arrogant. Be appreciative of the judge's and law clerks' time. Come up with some good questions that show you put some thought into the interview. Read one of the judge's opinions and be able to speak intelligently about it, just in case. Don't force things. Just try to have a pleasant conversation.

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 am

This is just my interview experience, but I was asked what I would do if I disagreed with the judge's ruling or thought he was wrong on a point of law, and what I would do if I realized I made a mistake in my analysis afterward. He also emphasized the gravity of the position a lot-- you're impacting people's lives and even the law as a whole (albeit in a small way) every time you put out an opinion. If your judge is a kind of serious person, similar questions may come up.

You can ask how cases are assigned and what the judge's drafting process is, and whether any types of cases are particularly prevalent on their docket.

Be authentic as best you can. The judge knows you're smart and capable. They want to know if they can stand to work with you for a year.

And echoing the earlier advice, be gracious and friendly to everyone. People in chambers are close and they talk.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:44 am

COA judge I interviewed with due to a connection didn't even interview me. He just started the conversation by asking when I'd be available; so, maybe you'll get the sweet relief of needing to do nothing but be cordial and polite.

That being said, definitely prepare for it like you would any other interview. Did you send the judge anything (e.g., writing sample, resume, cover letter)? Be prepared to talk about that. If you got it through a connection, maybe you know something about the judge. Find out as much as you can about the judge so you can ask questions if need be. Ask about the kinds of matters the judge usually deals with; other attorneys and staff in chambers if the opportunity comes up. Stuff like that. Be yourself (your best, most presentable self).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 am

I agree with the others that you need to prepare for it like you would any other interview.

That means reaching out to any alumni or people in your network who clerked for the judge to do general diligence and ask about the judge's interviewing habits. You also should read at least a few of the judge's recent published opinions. Finally, have ready answers for the 'why' questions -- why COA, why this geographic area, why this judge.

As far as the biggest "turn-off" for judges, I've seen well-connected people like yourself take themselves out of contention by not letting their personality show through at all in the interview and seeming generally timid. Afterward, the judge remarked that the applicant didn't seem like they'd be able to stand up for themselves and push back against the judge if they disagreed about a case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”