Chance Me: high GPA, low school rank Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chance Me: high GPA, low school rank

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:25 am

- 6+ years of non-legal work experience before law school, in an interesting field that people always want to talk about.
- 2L @ school ranked in the 60s
- 4.0 and board position on secondary journal
- Internships w/ DOJ & Federal MJ
- Have been applying mainly to DJs and MJs in SDNY/EDNY, but throughout the mid-atlantic/northeast as well. Want to practice in NYC, and my wife's career will be taking here there as well.

I think I've done a good job presenting a cohesive narrative in my cover letter—I am planning on working in government/public interest and this ties in with my former work experience. Mostly I'm concerned that my application will simply not be looked at because of my school.

Anonymous User

Re: Chance Me: high GPA, low school rank

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:09 pm

In a somewhat similar boat. I go to an even lower ranked school and have a similar GPA. I have a D. Ct. clerkship lined up though not in a district as competitive as SDNY. I think people like us face an uphill climb simply because of our school rank. The best to get over this is to network like crazy and get people to call on your behalf. I had to claw tooth and nail to get the D. Ct. clerkship on my own. But through a lot of networking and calls made to chambers, I may now have an interview lined up for a COA clerkship in 2/9/DC.

In short, it appears that you're qualified, but you're correct that your school rank likely won't get you pulled from the stack. If possible, have someone call on your behalf. This will get your packet looked at and increase your chances of getting an interview. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:10 pm

In a somewhat similar boat. I go to an even lower ranked school and have a similar GPA. I have a D. Ct. clerkship lined up though not in a district as competitive as SDNY. I think people like us face an uphill climb simply because of our school rank. The best to get over this is to network like crazy and get people to call on your behalf. I had to claw tooth and nail to get the D. Ct. clerkship on my own. But through a lot of networking and calls made to chambers, I may now have an interview lined up for a COA clerkship in 2/9/DC.

In short, it appears that you're qualified, but you're correct that your school rank likely won't get you pulled from the stack. If possible, have someone call on your behalf. This will get your packet looked at and increase your chances of getting an interview. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:25 am

I think I've done a good job presenting a cohesive narrative in my cover letter—I am planning on working in government/public interest and this ties in with my former work experience. Mostly I'm concerned that my application will simply not be looked at because of my school.
I would be bullish about your chances if you weren't so geographically limited.

I agree that your biggest problem will be getting your application off the stack -- the solution to your problem would be to get professors in your corner to make calls, and to network with any and all alumni from your school that clerked in your target markets. Those kind of things lead to getting a second-look from a judge when your application otherwise wouldn't have gotten past the first or second cut.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:12 pm

You have the credentials. The lack of geographic flexibility is what could hurt you. Like others said, use professors and network. Try to reach out to former clerks from your school who worked in districts you are targeting. I think you'll end up with something. It'll just take patience. Apply as broadly as you can (within your geographic limitations). Look for judges who aren't on OSCAR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”