Finding the Balance of Humble and Confident for Interviews Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Finding the Balance of Humble and Confident for Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Hello. I have an interview coming up that I am really hoping to land. One of my biggest fears is that I will come off either too shy/passive or too cocky. I really struggle with reading a room and have a hard time finding the right balance. Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Finding the Balance of Humble and Confident for Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 pm
Hello. I have an interview coming up that I am really hoping to land. One of my biggest fears is that I will come off either too shy/passive or too cocky. I really struggle with reading a room and have a hard time finding the right balance. Does anyone have any advice?
I think it is a good idea to err on the side of confidence rather than humility. When you are asked questions, be sure to take a moment, gather your thoughts, then answer. When the clerks push back against you, acknowledge their counterarguments, then respond. Don't give in unless you truly think that you are incorrect. I think it is a good idea to keep in the back of your head that the clerks are probably going to disagree with you just to see how you react.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat.

Reese1

New

Post by Reese1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I think it is a good idea to err on the side of confidence rather than humility. When you are asked questions, be sure to take a moment, gather your thoughts, then answer. When the clerks push back against you, acknowledge their counterarguments, then respond. Don't give in unless you truly think that you are incorrect. I think it is a good idea to keep in the back of your head that the clerks are probably going to disagree with you just to see how you react.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat.
This was me. Accidental Anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Humble and confident are not opposites. Be firm in your convictions, but stay friendly and non-combative. "That's a powerful objection to my position. The reason I don't find it persuasive is..."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”