Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:29 pm
Any thoughts on who he may nominate for the Carney 2d cir seat? Seems to me that should be in the works soon…
I know as little as you do, but I would guess Raheem Mullins on SCOCT. He's young (43) and diverse, and Carney's seat (unlike Cabranes's) is definitely a CT seat. I'd personally prefer they pick someone with a more progressive background since Mullins was a prosecutor before becoming a judge (especially Omar Williams on D. Conn.), but I'd be surprised if they elevated any of the recent district court appointees so soon.
I was thinking a YLS prof, like Heather Gerken or Cristina Rodriguez. Both brilliant, and while I am thoroughly pleased with the Biden COA noms, we need some profs in the mix. Also fits the trend with Cabranes, Carney, Calabresi with YLS ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:04 pm
Clyburn got Childs a DC Circuit spot, wow. Wouldn't be surprised to see her get Breyer's seat now.
Any info on what Childs is like as a judge? Just seems like a favor to Clyburn (albeit well-deserved).

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any thoughts on who he may nominate for the Carney 2d cir seat? Seems to me that should be in the works soon…
I know as little as you do, but I would guess Raheem Mullins on SCOCT. He's young (43) and diverse, and Carney's seat (unlike Cabranes's) is definitely a CT seat. I'd personally prefer they pick someone with a more progressive background since Mullins was a prosecutor before becoming a judge (especially Omar Williams on D. Conn.), but I'd be surprised if they elevated any of the recent district court appointees so soon.
I was thinking a YLS prof, like Heather Gerken or Cristina Rodriguez. Both brilliant, and while I am thoroughly pleased with the Biden COA noms, we need some profs in the mix. Also fits the trend with Cabranes, Carney, Calabresi with YLS ties.
This is the kind of thing that only a law student would post. Yes, the federal judiciary “NEEDS” the lady who can’t control the tiger mom and her husband.

Who gives a shit about “brilliant.” Being brilliant is neither necessary nor sufficient for good judging. Would much rather have people like Nathan and Robinson who have a lot of experience with what can go right and what can go wrong litigating a case from soup to nuts in a federal trial court. Just look at Judge Nathan’s experience this week in the Maxwell case. Granting a new trial in a matter like that is very, very tricky, and needs to consider not just abstract concepts rooted in the 6th Amendment, but also the realities of trying a long delayed high profile matter in year 2-3 of a global pandemic. Would love to see more trial judges and trial lawyers elevated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Gerken's senate hearing would literally be must must television. The downside is that I would have to hear about Yale drama more than i already do on Twitter.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:18 am

Skool wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:26 pm
This is the kind of thing that only a law student would post. Yes, the federal judiciary “NEEDS” the lady who can’t control the tiger mom and her husband.

Who gives a shit about “brilliant.” Being brilliant is neither necessary nor sufficient for good judging. Would much rather have people like Nathan and Robinson who have a lot of experience with what can go right and what can go wrong litigating a case from soup to nuts in a federal trial court. Just look at Judge Nathan’s experience this week in the Maxwell case. Granting a new trial in a matter like that is very, very tricky, and needs to consider not just abstract concepts rooted in the 6th Amendment, but also the realities of trying a long delayed high profile matter in year 2-3 of a global pandemic. Would love to see more trial judges and trial lawyers elevated.
Controlling egotistical law professors isn't exactly part of the job description of a COA judge. And I definitely give a shit about "brilliant." Having academics on the COA isn't an issue. I think we all benefit from a diversity of experiences there. I like that Biden is nominating a lot more people with civil rights and criminal defense backgrounds. There are far too many former prosecutors on the bench, and it has led to some massive blind spots.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 am

Skool wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dude. Chill. Do you even go to YLS?

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:01 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:18 am
Skool wrote:

Controlling egotistical law professors isn't exactly part of the job description of a COA judge. And I definitely give a shit about "brilliant." Having academics on the COA isn't an issue. I think we all benefit from a diversity of experiences there. I like that Biden is nominating a lot more people with civil rights and criminal defense backgrounds. There are far too many former prosecutors on the bench, and it has led to some massive blind spots.
I don’t disagree with that. I just genuinely don’t quite get why Law professors need to be “in the mix” to tackle this problem. Especially if their professional experience doesn’t involve representing clients, and having to make tough practical decisions about how to keep litigation on the rails as a lawyer or judge. It’s not necessarily my first choice to have such people review the decisions of trial lawyers and trial judges when they’ve never really walked in their shoes. Putting aside prosecution experience, would much rather have experienced people like Brodie and Furman elevated, or more innocence project lawyers like Morrison or CJA lawyers like Hecker.

I’m really trying to imagine if Judge Nathan denied Maxwell’s motion for a new trial. The panel that I would like to hear they appeal would have some experience actually picking a jury, for instance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:27 am

Gerken's close to a non-starter, not because of the recent drama, but because of her views on federalism.

But I've heard rumors that Rodriguez was being considered (and maybe still is) for a judgeship, and I would absolutely trust her to be a great judge.
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Gerken's senate hearing would literally be must must television. The downside is that I would have to hear about Yale drama more than i already do on Twitter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:27 am
Gerken's close to a non-starter, not because of the recent drama, but because of her views on federalism.

What about her views on federalism do you think makes her close to a non-starter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:

What about her views on federalism do you think makes her close to a non-starter?
Partly joking, but her view that federalism is an important part of our government structure is probably close to a non-starter for some democratic senators.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Partly joking, but her view that federalism is an important part of our government structure is probably close to a non-starter for some democratic senators.
I'm not sure that's even an accurate rendering of Gerken's take on federalism. She's very much a nationalist, which, point taken, likely wouldn't play well to Republican senators. But I doubt they'll get that in the weeds...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:58 pm

I think Victor Bolden would be a very strong candidate for that seat, though he's a bit old, and maybe the favorite. There may also be 2 CT seats depending on what happens with the Cabranes one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:44 am

Bolden would be fantastic. Have heard only great things. Whats the holdup on nominations? Political concerns?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm

mediocre district court nominations are to some degree just part of the deal, tbh - favors to senators. Trump had plenty of blah ones. you're usually following blue slip process. consequential stuff gets appealed. ideally everyone is amazing but you can live with a dud.

I don't really get some of these COA nominations though

Childs for example - I'm sure she's like fine, but it's the D.C. Circuit. why not someone ex-OSG, or young liberal administrative law professor, or w/e? you want someone who's (a) trying to craft favorable precedent, (b) that can survive a cert petition, (c) that (ideally) you might get past an unfavorable panel. quality of theory/lawyering really does "matter." you can lose panels 2-1, write decisions that other judges don't respect/rely on, etc.

no doubt she would/will be an adequate DC Cir judge, but WH has this opportunity to pick literally anyone in the country to shape administrative law in a life-tenured role. don't get it.

it's 2022, there's no Pillard/Millett 2.0?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm
mediocre district court nominations are to some degree just part of the deal, tbh - favors to senators. Trump had plenty of blah ones. you're usually following blue slip process. consequential stuff gets appealed. ideally everyone is amazing but you can live with a dud.

Childs for example - I'm sure she's like fine, but it's the D.C. Circuit. why not someone ex-OSG, or young liberal administrative law professor? you want someone who's (a) trying to craft favorable precedent, (b) that can survive a cert petition, (c) that (ideally) you might get past an unfavorable panel. quality of theory/lawyering really does "matter." you can lose panels 2-1, write decisions that other judges don't respect/rely on, etc.

WH has this opportunity to pick literally anyone in the country to shape administrative law in a life-tenured role. I don't really get it
One word: Clyburn. (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/us/p ... woman.html)

If only we all had somebody who supported us like Jim Clyburn supports Childs...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Childs for example - I'm sure she's like fine, but it's the D.C. Circuit. why not someone ex-OSG, or young liberal administrative law professor? you want someone who's (a) trying to craft favorable precedent, (b) that can survive a cert petition, (c) that (ideally) you might get past an unfavorable panel. quality of theory/lawyering really does "matter." you can lose panels 2-1, write decisions that other judges don't respect/rely on, etc.

WH has this opportunity to pick literally anyone in the country to shape administrative law in a life-tenured role. I don't really get it
She is Jim Clyburn's protege and pretty sure Biden wants to keep him happy as he is on House leadership + pretty much the main reason Biden came back and won the Dem primary.

Kinda same thing that happened in 2020 with McConnell and Justin Walker

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

She is Jim Clyburn's protege and pretty sure Biden wants to keep him happy as he is on House leadership + pretty much the main reason Biden came back and won the Dem primary.

Kinda same thing that happened in 2020 with McConnell and Justin Walker
unfortunate. most not-completely-insane FedSoc folks think Walker was a terrible pick

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 pm

I realize this may end up sounding naive, but I think the really ferocious sort of thinking about long-term placement and shaping of the law (which I tend to associate with FedSoc and the promotion of various FedSoc judges under Trump) is a little more recent than the generic "use judgeships to keep members of my party happy/for political deals" approach, and that Biden is going back to that more traditional model. I don't mean this is necessarily conscious planning on his part, or on Trump's; I think Trump had a lot of advisors who were really invested in this kind of FedSoc promotion model and he went along with it, and Biden probably doesn't, in part b/c I don't think there's as clear a consensus on the left as on the right. That is, I think the focus on the left has historically been more "let's appoint not FedSoc/conservative judges" than "let's promote a very specific kind leftist/liberal jurisprudence."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 pm
I realize this may end up sounding naive, but I think the really ferocious sort of thinking about long-term placement and shaping of the law (which I tend to associate with FedSoc and the promotion of various FedSoc judges under Trump) is a little more recent than the generic "use judgeships to keep members of my party happy/for political deals" approach, and that Biden is going back to that more traditional model. I don't mean this is necessarily conscious planning on his part, or on Trump's; I think Trump had a lot of advisors who were really invested in this kind of FedSoc promotion model and he went along with it, and Biden probably doesn't, in part b/c I don't think there's as clear a consensus on the left as on the right. That is, I think the focus on the left has historically been more "let's appoint not FedSoc/conservative judges" than "let's promote a very specific kind leftist/liberal jurisprudence."
I mean, it seems pretty clear from the #s that the people driving Biden's judicial nominations process are have a clear vision of what they want, and it's some mix of: (a) young, (b) women, (c) people of color, (d) people from advocacy backgrounds

https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... 021-12-28/

we can put to one side whether this is a good or bad development, or whether this will be effective, but I do not think a year into the nominations process it's correct to say that Biden has returned to a sort of 90s/early-2000s-era approach to judicial nominations where Dems are asking traditional power state power brokers who they want and the White House is signing off

they're not putting in lots of connected law firm partners, or Den-affiliated ex-AUSAs, etc, or bumping up tons of district court judges (Nathan and Koh, sure, but they're liberal, check two diversity boxes, have national reputations)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 pm
they're not putting in lots of connected law firm partners, or Den-affiliated ex-AUSAs, etc, or bumping up tons of district court judges (Nathan and Koh, sure, but they're liberal, check two diversity boxes, have national reputations)
the NJ nominees have been almost exclusively this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:49 pm

I agree that the Biden admin has a relatively clear vision of who they want, but the point I think I was trying to make (inartfully) was that people are being appointed more for who they are than for a specific ideology (beyond generally liberal). So I agree it’s not about just nominating *whoever* the local Dem wants and it was incorrect if I suggested that; there is a type. But I think the type is more about who a person is/their background than a super focused ideology.

Like, those things are obviously connected, especially with the advocacy backgrounds. But it seems to me the Biden priority is to diversify the judiciary, both in terms of race/gender and in terms of background (advocacy/defense minded), rather than promote a really specific jurisprudence. Whereas I felt that Trump’s judicial team was focused much more on getting the right ideology. (Given that ideology, it’s not shocking that there were a lot of white corporate dudes appointed, but I think the goal was to promote the ideology rather than to make the judiciary look a particular way and the white dude-ness was a little bit of a side effect.)

Again, I get that those things - ideology and identity - are connected, but it feels like the priorities were slightly different.

This was largely in response to the point about not appointing ex-OSG or young admin law profs. I just think Biden’s team isn’t drilling down that far into potential jurisprudence. And I said this may be naive because I know that people spend a lot of time on this and you could probably find both (diversity/experience and jurisprudence). But I think Trump’s
team was trying to mold the judiciary in a narrower/stricter way than Biden’s team is (probably in part because it seems a lot harder to get the left to unite about something like this than the right).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm

...it seems a lot harder to get the left to unite about something like this than the right
The left is united on the principle that the judiciary should be more representative of America. The correct policies then flow from that representativeness. I think Biden has been very effective at pursuing this goal so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm
...it seems a lot harder to get the left to unite about something like this than the right
The left is united on the principle that the judiciary should be more representative of America. The correct policies then flow from that representativeness. I think Biden has been very effective at pursuing this goal so far.
The Judiciary will never represent America because almost everyone nominated for a federal judgeship is undoubtedly much wealthier than the vast majority of this country. It's not very avoidable; just the nature of the profession. But don't be fooled into thinking that a more diverse group of identities will be enough for "correct policies" to come out of the Judiciary. There's a reason why wealth is not considered a suspect classification.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm
The Judiciary will never represent America because almost everyone nominated for a federal judgeship is undoubtedly much wealthier than the vast majority of this country. It's not very avoidable; just the nature of the profession. But don't be fooled into thinking that a more diverse group of identities will be enough for "correct policies" to come out of the Judiciary. There's a reason why wealth is not considered a suspect classification.
I think that's the point of what the WH is doing though, right? Whereas in the Obama admin it was your standard Biglaw partner defending large corporations or prosecutor, the Biden team seems to largely be going for people from PD/Issue advocacy backgrounds. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't have a class bias but I think it definitely helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:23 pm
I think that's the point of what the WH is doing though, right? Whereas in the Obama admin it was your standard Biglaw partner defending large corporations or prosecutor, the Biden team seems to largely be going for people from PD/Issue advocacy backgrounds. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't have a class bias but I think it definitely helps.
You're very correct. At the very least, we'll be seeing less multimillionaires on the bench. I didn't mean to sound too pessimistic, and largely I think Biden's been appointing better judges than most recent Presidents. I am just skeptical that a more "representative" Judiciary will do more than simply be slightly better than it currently is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”