Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:02 am

Two official noms today—Nathan plus Andre Mathis to CA6 (to what I assume has to be a Memphis seat). Pooler to Nathan will be a significant step up in quality tbh.

Unrelatedly, am I counting right that Biden has only nominated three white men of 60+ nominees (Stark, Heytens, Nachmanoff)? That’ll die down when they start needing GOP blue slips, but I feel like it’s gonna be a bit weird to have one admin nominate almost exclusively white men and then the next nominate almost none

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:02 am
Two official noms today—Nathan plus Andre Mathis to CA6 (to what I assume has to be a Memphis seat). Pooler to Nathan will be a significant step up in quality tbh.

Unrelatedly, am I counting right that Biden has only nominated three white men of 60+ nominees (Stark, Heytens, Nachmanoff)? That’ll die down when they start needing GOP blue slips, but I feel like it’s gonna be a bit weird to have one admin nominate almost exclusively white men and then the next nominate almost none
Stark is just over 50, Heytens is just under 50. And I, for one, am down for having a more diverse and representative judiciary.

Reese1

New

Post by Reese1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Stark is just over 50, Heytens is just under 50. And I, for one, am down for having a more diverse and representative judiciary.
I don't think he meant their age. I think he was referencing that Biden has appointed over 60 judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Reese1 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think he meant their age. I think he was referencing that Biden has appointed over 60 judges.
Quoted OP: That… makes more sense. My bad!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:45 pm

Reese1 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Quoted OP: That… makes more sense. My bad!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:49 am

Andre Mathis is 40 years old, graduated law school in 2007! Not out of line with some Trump nominees but still kind of remarkable to see COA judges being nominated so young and relatively inexperienced to jobs they could realistically hold for 40+ years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:49 am
Andre Mathis is 40 years old, graduated law school in 2007! Not out of line with some Trump nominees but still kind of remarkable to see COA judges being nominated so young and relatively inexperienced to jobs they could realistically hold for 40+ years.
I don't mind seeing CoA judges being appointed that young. The job is super academic, so I can see why experience matters less. However, district court judges are a different story.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:10 pm

Wild stuff from David Lat:
Judge Robert King made waves this week after rescinding his decision to take senior status, which would have given President Joe Biden another seat to fill on the Fourth Circuit. The 81-year-old jurist has served on the court since his appointment in 1998 by President Bill Clinton.

What happened? Professor John Collins, an expert on President Biden’s approach to judicial nominations, suggested to Nate Raymond of Reuters that Judge King’s decision might have had something to do with an issue regarding his replacement. I have reason to believe this is correct; sources tell me that Judge King was less than thrilled with the White House’s pick for his seat.

For quite some time, the frontrunner appeared to be the well-credentialed and well-connected Carte Goodwin, a partner at Frost Brown Todd, where he serves as vice chair of the appellate practice and leads the firm’s office in Charleston, West Virginia’s capital. A graduate of Emory Law (Order of the Coif), Goodwin previously served as general counsel to then-Governor Joe Manchin (D-W. Va.), who appointed Goodwin to fill the vacancy in the U.S. Senate caused by the passing of Robert C. Byrd. The Goodwins are something of a legal and political dynasty in West Virginia: Carte’s uncle is Judge Joseph Goodwin (S.D. W. Va.); Judge Goodwin’s son (and Carte’s cousin), Booth Goodwin, served as U.S. Attorney from 2010 until 2015; and Booth’s wife, Amy Shuler Goodwin, is the current mayor of Charleston.

Oh, and Carte Goodwin also served as a federal law clerk. To none other than… Judge Robert King.

But being a white male Biglaw partner from a dynastic family is not the preferred profile of a judicial nominee in the Biden Administration. The White House instead went with J. Jeaneen Legato, a personal-injury lawyer in Charleston with close ties to West Virginia’s powerful senior senator, Joe Manchin.

Legato’s selection didn’t sit well with Judge King. He’s not a Manchin fan, and he didn’t love his former clerk being passed over for—and “his” seat being filled by—a nominee he sees as, well, less than distinguished. So he “took back” his going senior.
https://davidlat.substack.com/p/judicia ... ource=copy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:47 am

Definitely not short-sighted. I'm sure he'll love his seat getting reassigned to northern Virginia and being filled by Judge Kushner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 pm

To be fair to King it's kinda wild that Biden would consider appointing a random personal injury lawyer to a federal COA, no matter how much Manchin loves them. Is there nobody good in the WV FPD office or something even if they don't like the biglaw guy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 pm
To be fair to King it's kinda wild that Biden would consider appointing a random personal injury lawyer to a federal COA, no matter how much Manchin loves them. Is there nobody good in the WV FPD office or something even if they don't like the biglaw guy?
It's weird because Carte Goodwin is basically royalty in WV and very respected - he got the gig to be Senator from Manchin, which makes me wonder why Manchin would be that opposed to him.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
It's weird because Carte Goodwin is basically royalty in WV and very respected - he got the gig to be Senator from Manchin, which makes me wonder why Manchin would be that opposed to him.
Manchin wasn't opposed to him. The Biden admin didn't want to nominate him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:07 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:42 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If King Joe wanted Goodwin, he could easily get Goodwin the nomination.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:07 am
lavarman84 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:42 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If King Joe wanted Goodwin, he could easily get Goodwin the nomination.
That assumes that Manchin wasn't ambivalent about it. He might have been happy with either one. Frankly, Biden should just cut a deal with King and give him Goodwin.

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Post by Quichelorraine » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Gotta say, I do not like the idea of judges withdrawing their intention to go on senior status because a specific person isn't nominated to replace them. You occupy a seat, but it isn't yours, and you shouldn't have veto power over exactly who holds it next.

(Yes, yes, I know they can, but it rubs me the wrong way.)

Reese1

New

Post by Reese1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Quichelorraine wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm
Gotta say, I do not like the idea of judges withdrawing their intention to go on senior status because a specific person isn't nominated to replace them. You occupy a seat, but it isn't yours, and you shouldn't have veto power over exactly who holds it next.

Total agreement. I really hope this doesn't become a thing. The last thing the judiciary needs is judges selecting their replacements.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Quichelorraine wrote:

Yet another reason for some kind of term limit (25 years, say, or forced retirement at 75).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:37 am

With the Dems extremely likely to lose the Senate in 2022, we're about halfway though the first Biden admin's period for nominating seriously liberal judges. Entirely possible the filibuster and/or blue slip rule ends up enforced with a GOP Senate--we'll be in uncharted waters. And norms around district court noms seem to have broken down as well, just a couple of years ago a nominee like Nachmanoff would have been confirmed 100-0 or with nominal opposition.

Reese1

New

Post by Reese1 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:22 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm
Quichelorraine wrote:

Yet another reason for some kind of term limit (25 years, say, or forced retirement at 75).
I'd say term limits are better than a mandatory retirement age. If we force them to retire at 75, we will start to see 3Ls appointed to the bench.

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:27 pm

It will be interesting to see who they nominate for the N.D. Cal judgeships. I haven't seen any names floated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Clyburn got Childs a DC Circuit spot, wow. Wouldn't be surprised to see her get Breyer's seat now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:38 pm

And Leslie Abrams Gardner didn’t get the CA11 seat. Both super surprising I think, especially as there’s a CA4 SC seat open as well for Childs.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:38 pm
And Leslie Abrams Gardner didn’t get the CA11 seat. Both super surprising I think, especially as there’s a CA4 SC seat open as well for Childs.
That's very interesting that Nancy Abudu got it. I'm not complaining, though. Love the civil rights background.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:29 pm

Any thoughts on who he may nominate for the Carney 2d cir seat? Seems to me that should be in the works soon…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:29 pm
Any thoughts on who he may nominate for the Carney 2d cir seat? Seems to me that should be in the works soon…
I know as little as you do, but I would guess Raheem Mullins on SCOCT. He's young (43) and diverse, and Carney's seat (unlike Cabranes's) is definitely a CT seat. I'd personally prefer they pick someone with a more progressive background since Mullins was a prosecutor before becoming a judge (especially Omar Williams on D. Conn.), but I'd be surprised if they elevated any of the recent district court appointees so soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”