Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:45 pm

Two more reported to be rec'd by Schumer. Myrna Perez to CA2, Dale Ho to SDNY, both from nonprofit voting rights practices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:45 pm
Two more reported to be rec'd by Schumer. Myrna Perez to CA2, Dale Ho to SDNY, both from nonprofit voting rights practices.
I have heard substantial scuttlebutt about tension re. these particular choices, with the smart set saying that Schumer leaked and then announced his recommendations to strong-arm the White House into nominating them. But who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I have heard substantial scuttlebutt about tension re. these particular choices, with the smart set saying that Schumer leaked and then announced his recommendations to strong-arm the White House into nominating them. But who knows.
Aren't senators' recs almost always made public? I know the VA and CO senators' were and IIRC the same was true for NJ. Also, Schumer is majority leader and controls the floor calendar so it would be sort of stunning if Biden wanted to pick a fight with him on this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aren't senators' recs almost always made public? I know the VA and CO senators' were and IIRC the same was true for NJ. Also, Schumer is majority leader and controls the floor calendar so it would be sort of stunning if Biden wanted to pick a fight with him on this.
The VA and CO recs are noncontroversial, like elevating well-respected district judges to the COA. Dale Ho is an ACLU attorney who's been litigating politically divisive issues and would be a very controversial nominee. Zero republicans are going to vote for him. Biden's not going to be eager to spend the political capital needed to twist Manchin's arm on a district judge confirmation without a strong push from Schumer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The VA and CO recs are noncontroversial, like elevating well-respected district judges to the COA. Dale Ho is an ACLU attorney who's been litigating politically divisive issues and would be a very controversial nominee. Zero republicans are going to vote for him. Biden's not going to be eager to spend the political capital needed to twist Manchin's arm on a district judge confirmation without a strong push from Schumer.
I think what's most surprising isn't that Dale Ho got a nod--he was widely expected to get CA2 or SDNY--but that Furman, Nathan, and Oetken have now been passed over twice for CA2 seats, with no guarantees more will open in the Biden admin, contrary to other wide expectations

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good on Schumer, if so. Dale Ho deserves a spot in the judiciary. And I know he wants it. If the Democrats aren't willing to fight for a guy who has fought as hard for civil rights as Dale, the party doesn't deserve the support it has.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good on Schumer, if so. Dale Ho deserves a spot in the judiciary. And I know he wants it. If the Democrats aren't willing to fight for a guy who has fought as hard for civil rights as Dale, the party doesn't deserve the support it has.
Myrna Perez was nominated in today's batch and Dale Ho was not, so clearly the "pressure" from Schumer hasn't worked so far.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 pm
Myrna Perez was nominated in today's batch and Dale Ho was not, so clearly the "pressure" from Schumer hasn't worked so far.
My point remains.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 pm

'twas a very interesting split.

I'm surprised we have no EDNY/SDNY noms so far. Schumer's team moved very quickly (they were interviewing people very early on) and it isn't like there's a lack of interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 pm

New round of nominees out. Toby Heytens got the CA4 nod, as many anticipated, he's definitely a potential feeder. Sung to one of CA9's Oregon seats also looks very impressive. A bunch of district court nominees, none of whom look particularly controversial, including a couple to EDVA. Still no Dale Ho interestingly, I wonder if something came up in his background check or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:08 am

I have to wonder why people keep pushing for Dale Ho on CA2. He did an excellent job before SCOTUS but he's said multiple times in interviews that he sees himself as a trial lawyer and that he prefers the trial process to the appellate process. He should be on SDNY if anything.

But he's also controversial and potentially too public a figure. It seems like Biden's early COA nominees have been incredibly impressive but "quiet" nominees, in the sense that they're likely unknown outside of the legal world. KBJ is an exception but even then not outside of Beltway types. Dale Ho has done public interviews and there's a documentary in which he prominently features. And of course, he may not actually want to be a judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:08 am
I have to wonder why people keep pushing for Dale Ho on CA2. He did an excellent job before SCOTUS but he's said multiple times in interviews that he sees himself as a trial lawyer and that he prefers the trial process to the appellate process. He should be on SDNY if anything.

But he's also controversial and potentially too public a figure. It seems like Biden's early COA nominees have been incredibly impressive but "quiet" nominees, in the sense that they're likely unknown outside of the legal world. KBJ is an exception but even then not outside of Beltway types. Dale Ho has done public interviews and there's a documentary in which he prominently features. And of course, he may not actually want to be a judge.
Schumer recommended Ho for SDNY, not CA2, and he's the only public Schumer pick who hasn't been nominated yet I think. Presumably if he interviewed for SDNY--and he has a large chorus of well-connected legal elites calling for his nom--he wants the job.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:08 am

Schumer recommended Ho for SDNY, not CA2, and he's the only public Schumer pick who hasn't been nominated yet I think. Presumably if he interviewed for SDNY--and he has a large chorus of well-connected legal elites calling for his nom--he wants the job.
I have it on good authority that Dale Ho wants the job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:18 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:42 pm
I have it on good authority that Dale Ho wants the job.
Also, there have been no EDNY/SDNY noms at all, so it might be that he's part of a batch that simply hasn't been formalized yet.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:18 pm

CDCal is also moving at a glacial pace. I understand that the conservative areas need all the liberal leaning judges they can get because not every case gets certiorari, but still...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:28 pm

Any thoughts on who will be Biden's second DC Circuit nomination?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:36 pm

The Law360 article from January flagged a few big law partners and law professors who seem like plausible picks. I suspect that most of the PDS alums on DDC and the Court of Appeals will also be in the mix as they make a decision (and that the latter will get an especially close look if Rogers ever decides to go senior).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:14 pm

We finally have the CA CA9 nominees!

Lucy Koh, N.D. Cal. - another re-do from Obama yrs. Prosecutor, patent, trademark.

Gabe Sanchez, California Ct. of Appeal - private lawyer, lots of state govt. work for Jerry Brown

Holly Thomas, L.A. Superior Ct. former civil rights lawyer (NAACP LDF, Civil Rights Division at Main Justice, California state civil rights agency). Very interesting career + the fact she is a family court judge (I may be wrong but this seems like a relative anomaly on the federal courts of appeals)

I had thought there would be some Kruger, Cuellar, Liu - but these seem great - inviting comments/knowledge!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:14 pm
We finally have the CA CA9 nominees!

Lucy Koh, N.D. Cal. - another re-do from Obama yrs. Prosecutor, patent, trademark.

Gabe Sanchez, California Ct. of Appeal - private lawyer, lots of state govt. work for Jerry Brown

Holly Thomas, L.A. Superior Ct. former civil rights lawyer (NAACP LDF, Civil Rights Division at Main Justice, California state civil rights agency). Very interesting career + the fact she is a family court judge (I may be wrong but this seems like a relative anomaly on the federal courts of appeals)

I had thought there would be some Kruger, Cuellar, Liu - but these seem great - inviting comments/knowledge!
Koh is really well respected/connected and seems like a solid feeder prospect (though she hasn't really been one as a district judge). The other two are a little out of left field, though I suppose many of the Biden nominees so far have been.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:26 pm

I think it’s become clear that Biden really is looking for unusual backgrounds in nominees, but even then I’m surprised Chhabria or Mongan didn’t get picked with their impact lit-ish backgrounds. Also Noah Purcell not getting the WA spot. All of the picks so far seem still conventionally qualified though, it’s a circuit where Dems are spoiled for choice, and besides Koh the new ones are very young.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Unusual backgrounds, except for law school...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ExpOriental

Bronze

Post by ExpOriental » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Just happy to see Yale finally getting a fair shake in the federal judiciary

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:52 am

ExpOriental wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Just happy to see Yale finally getting a fair shake in the federal judiciary
It’s been a long time coming. I’m glad to see it and HLS get their shot. A true, inspiring story of two underdogs that finally made it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:37 am

Today's slate of nominees finally includes Dale Ho, which I guess makes sense given all the horse-trading going on in Washington this week. It will be interesting to see how straightforward or challenging his confirmation will be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:37 am
Today's slate of nominees finally includes Dale Ho, which I guess makes sense given all the horse-trading going on in Washington this week. It will be interesting to see how straightforward or challenging his confirmation will be.
I bet Ho will catch some flack for some of his election lawsuits (specifically the "poll tax" on in the 11th), but in the end, I think he will get a couple of Republican votes if he doesn't botch the hearing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”