What are the Acceptable Parameters of "Geographic Ties" in a Cover Letter Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fingaztwisting

New

What are the Acceptable Parameters of "Geographic Ties" in a Cover Letter

Post by fingaztwisting » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 pm

I was wondering how much of a stretch it is to claim geographic ties in a cover letter for ties beyond where you plan to practice long term, and where you attended law school. For instance, is claiming geographic ties where you attended undergrad, grew up as a kid, or have family in the jurisdiction etc. too tenuous to claim ties?

Anonymous User

Re: What are the Acceptable Parameters of "Geographic Ties" in a Cover Letter

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:48 am

fingaztwisting wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 pm
I was wondering how much of a stretch it is to claim geographic ties in a cover letter for ties beyond where you plan to practice long term, and where you attended law school. For instance, is claiming geographic ties where you attended undergrad, grew up as a kid, or have family in the jurisdiction etc. too tenuous to claim ties?
I mentioned that I grew up in an adjacent state, and I think it helped my app. I also have extended family in the city where chambers are located, but I do not recall if I mentioned that in my cover letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:23 am

fingaztwisting wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 pm
Is claiming geographic ties where you attended undergrad, grew up as a kid, or have family in the jurisdiction etc. too tenuous?
I think all of these are fine examples. I got a clerkship in a state I had never been, in part because my sibling was going to college there (and not even in the same city). Generally, as long as it passes the laugh-test, I think its fine to mention but the strength of the connection will have something to say with how much you emphasize it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:19 pm

I applied to a district judge in the Rockies/Mountain West who said several times that they appreciated the fact that I had grown up in a neighboring state (which I mentioned in my cover letter) and that it was a serious factor in reviewing my application, even though I’ve lived in a major coastal city for the last ten years.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:16 pm

I think in order of strength it goes something like (1) demonstrable intent to practice long-term, (2) hometown or law school city, (3) family connections. And for any the closer to the place of the actual judge the better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”