Worth doing clerkship process? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Worth doing clerkship process?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi

I just find it hard to get a straight answer from our clerkship office about competitiveness. T14, 3.65ish, LR, strong prior work experience, Big Law DC offer. Is it worth going through clerkship process now or wait until work experience? Long term interest in government work.

Wild Card

Silver

Re: Worth doing clerkship process?

Post by Wild Card » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:16 pm

It's an ongoing process. You apply year after year until you land something. Judges get hundreds of applications, so they would forget you if they passed you over.

You seem impressive on paper, but hopefully you offer that something else that will help you stand out.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:22 pm

Where would your GPA put you at in rankings at your T14? I would think at most schools it would be somewhere around Top 20%-Top 30%? In which case you'd have a shot at some less-competitive District Courts but, without connections, luck, or more work experience, would be unlikely to get much traction elsewhere.
But as above poster said, there isn't harm in trying now.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pm
Hi

I just find it hard to get a straight answer from our clerkship office about competitiveness. T14, 3.65ish, LR, strong prior work experience, Big Law DC offer. Is it worth going through clerkship process now or wait until work experience? Long term interest in government work.
I think you’d certainly be competitive for some D. Ct. Clerkships now. On the other hand, there’s nothing wrong with doing 1-3 years in biglaw and using a clerkship as a pivot to government work when you’re done. Super common to go that route. As a double-clerk straight out of law school, I wish I had done that ...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”