Is clerking an option for me? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Is clerking an option for me?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Lurker non-trad law school applicant here. As decisions roll in and I try to decide between schools, I'm trying to determine if federal clerkship placement/support should be a factor in my choice. In other words, if I don't have a shot at clerking, I'm not going to worry about it in selecting a school. Applied T14, in at 2, out at 3, WL at 1.

Considerations:
  • I am old(er). 42 in November. I was a police officer for 10 years, and in the military before that.
  • In 2019, I had a felony arrest for drug promotion. No charges. BS careerism and agency politics thing, which motivated me to eventually quit law enforcement and pursue law studies.
  • In 2004 I had an other than honorable discharge from the Army.
Would any of these preclude me from clerking, or make it an unrealistic goal?

Thanks for reading!

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Is clerking an option for me?

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:59 pm

I think it's worth taking it into account, but it shouldn't be the main factor in your choice. I doubt your age would be the problem. But the arrest and military discharge could complicate things a bit. However, for both of my clerkships, the background checks didn't happen until after I accepted an offer, so I'm not sure how it would affect you or how you should address it.

Speaking bluntly, though, you don't even know if you're going to have the grades needed to clerk. So I would pick the law school that's the best fit. Clerking makes sense as a small factor in your decision, but other things should take precedence (debt, your goals, overall job prospects, location, etc.).

Anonymous User

Re: Is clerking an option for me?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:59 pm
I think it's worth taking it into account, but it shouldn't be the main factor in your choice. I doubt your age would be the problem. But the arrest and military discharge could complicate things a bit. However, for both of my clerkships, the background checks didn't happen until after I accepted an offer, so I'm not sure how it would affect you or how you should address it.

Speaking bluntly, though, you don't even know if you're going to have the grades needed to clerk. So I would pick the law school that's the best fit. Clerking makes sense as a small factor in your decision, but other things should take precedence (debt, your goals, overall job prospects, location, etc.).
Makes sense, thanks. Was just making sure it wasn't something completely off the table, thus no factor at all. Appreciate the response!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”