Gap in between clerkships? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rchrls2

New

Gap in between clerkships?

Post by rchrls2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:31 pm

If you spent a summer at a firm, accepted an offer to return following a first clerkship, and then get a second clerkship that would start a whole year after the first clerkship ends, what happens? Are firms willing to rehire you for the gap year in between clerkships, and then again following the second one?

So the timeline looks like:
- Summer associate at firm X
- 3L year
- 1st clerkship
- associate at firm x
- 2nd clerkship
- associate at firm x

Do firms do that?

clerk2020

New

Re: Gap in between clerkships?

Post by clerk2020 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:34 am

rchrls2 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:31 pm
If you spent a summer at a firm, accepted an offer to return following a first clerkship, and then get a second clerkship that would start a whole year after the first clerkship ends, what happens? Are firms willing to rehire you for the gap year in between clerkships, and then again following the second one?

So the timeline looks like:
- Summer associate at firm X
- 3L year
- 1st clerkship
- associate at firm x
- 2nd clerkship
- associate at firm x

Do firms do that?
Yes, firms do that. I have friends who have a gap year and their summer firm was happy to have them during the interim year (firms know gaps are relatively common now). I have also heard of firms who didn't take a summer back after clerking, gap or not, so nothing is guaranteed, though (i don't know the general quality of those firms).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”