Does clerking make sense for those interested in transactional law? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
threetwentyeight

New

Does clerking make sense for those interested in transactional law?

Post by threetwentyeight » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:03 am

Hi everyone!

I have a rather silly question but here goes. Does clerking provide any benefit to people looking to work in a transactional practice? I'm taking a year off before applying to law school and am looking towards the future. Obviously my opinion could change but I am not interested in litigation. However, I am interested in clerking because I would love to see how the courtroom/judge works, just not litigate in it.

Does a clerkship hurt down the road if you want to do transactional law? I still of course do not know what practice area I am most interested in, but it is looking like capital markets, tax, or trusts and estates. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Does clerking make sense for those interested in transactional law?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:15 am

In a district court or COA, it doesn't make sense unless you're a prestige whore. It will not be as useful for training for practice as an extra year of practice would be, and people will think you're indecisive.

Something like a bankruptcy court or Delaware Chancery could make sense under the right circumstances, but do your research and talk to former clerks who now are in transactional practice areas you can see yourself in.

Anonymous User

Re: Does clerking make sense for those interested in transactional law?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:15 am
In a district court or COA, it doesn't make sense unless you're a prestige whore. It will not be as useful for training for practice as an extra year of practice would be, and people will think you're indecisive.

Something like a bankruptcy court or Delaware Chancery could make sense under the right circumstances, but do your research and talk to former clerks who now are in transactional practice areas you can see yourself in.
Confirming that a Delaware Chancery clerkship makes the most sense for corporate lawyers. Many of Wachtell's corporate lawyers have clerked at that court.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”