State trial-level clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State trial-level clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:07 am

I had an interview with a state-level trial judge a week ago. I thought it went decent. The judge asked for references and said a decision would be made "this week." He asked for references. Now, I haven't heard back in a week and just found out none of my references were contacted. Is this a ding? Fwiw, the judge asked when I could start, and mentioned that the position could begin right away. I said I'd need 3 weeks to give notice.

nixy

Gold

Re: State trial-level clerkship

Post by nixy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:48 am

There is no way anyone can answer this. It could be a ding. It could be the judge's process got delayed. This judge could regularly say "this week" for something that actually takes them a month. There isn't enough information to know which one is the case.

Also there's no point in dwelling on the "start in three weeks" thing. If that's when you could start, that's when you could start and there's no point in lying about it. Three weeks isn't a really long time and if you're currently in a job then the judge would have to expect you to give at least 2 weeks' notice. Is it possible that the judge had another candidate that they liked as much as you who can start sooner? Sure. But again, it's not like you can magically shrink the amount of time you actually need.

mjb447

Silver

Re: State trial-level clerkship

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:16 am

Yeah, there's no way you can know. There's probably some point at which radio silence is a ding - some candidates never hear back at all - but a week in a trial-level chambers goes by in the blink of an eye, timelines are often aspirational, and, on any given day, there are often more pressing matters to attend to than hiring.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”