Let’s Talk DC Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
boliver783

New

Let’s Talk DC Circuit!

Post by boliver783 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:04 pm

Haven’t seen this one yet! Info on judges (esp. new appointees), general experience, etc

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Re: Let’s Talk DC Circuit!

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:59 am

I find their anti-Garamond stance offensive. For that reason I won't be applying to any judge on that court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:21 am

I would be interested in hearing about some of the senior judges on the circuit. Do they all take full caseloads? Full clerk classes? Are they easier to get than the active judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:21 am
I would be interested in hearing about some of the senior judges on the circuit. Do they all take full caseloads? Full clerk classes? Are they easier to get than the active judges?
I don't have any current info about specific senior judges, but they are generally less competitive than the active judges, in part because they don't feed. I will say that even those that take on a full caseload will likely give you a pretty relaxed working year; the D.C. caseload is low as is, and judges generally finish hearing cases by the end of April. After that, it's all en banc cases, which the senior judges don't participate in. So unless you have some especially meaty panel opinion you're working on, your workload dissipates pretty drastically by April.

You can get a sense of how active each senior judge is just by looking at the calendar for their sittings. Looks like active judges have about 20-25 sittings per term (with usually three cases per sitting). All of the senior judges (except the newly-seniored Tatel) have only 10 sittings, so they're probably at 50% caseloads. Which means they likely only have two clerks; I would think with that few of spots they rely heavily on professor/judge recommendations in their hiring.

I think Judge Tatel will be an exception to most of this, though. As a senior judge (and without Justice Ginsburg on the court) his feeding days are likely over, but I wouldn't be surprised if he still keeps a full caseload for the next couple of years and his clerkship remains intensely competitive.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't have any current info about specific senior judges, but they are generally less competitive than the active judges, in part because they don't feed. I will say that even those that take on a full caseload will likely give you a pretty relaxed working year; the D.C. caseload is low as is, and judges generally finish hearing cases by the end of April. After that, it's all en banc cases, which the senior judges don't participate in. So unless you have some especially meaty panel opinion you're working on, your workload dissipates pretty drastically by April.

You can get a sense of how active each senior judge is just by looking at the calendar for their sittings. Looks like active judges have about 20-25 sittings per term (with usually three cases per sitting). All of the senior judges (except the newly-seniored Tatel) have only 10 sittings, so they're probably at 50% caseloads. Which means they likely only have two clerks; I would think with that few of spots they rely heavily on professor/judge recommendations in their hiring.

I think Judge Tatel will be an exception to most of this, though. As a senior judge (and without Justice Ginsburg on the court) his feeding days are likely over, but I wouldn't be surprised if he still keeps a full caseload for the next couple of years and his clerkship remains intensely competitive.
As a former Ninth Circuit clerk, this is insane to me. Ninth Circuit judges sit something like 35 days a year, with each day having 5-6 cases. So that’s more than double the caseload.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:

As a former Ninth Circuit clerk, this is insane to me. Ninth Circuit judges sit something like 35 days a year, with each day having 5-6 cases. So that’s more than double the caseload.
Yeah D.C. Circuit caseload is very small and Ninth Circuit is huge. Granted, the D.C. Circuit doesn't have the screening process the Ninth does or nearly as many staff attorneys as the Ninth (though they probably resolve a third of cases without oral argument). There also isn't a bench memo pool. But yes, unless you're working for a couple of extra thorough judges (I know Millett and probably Srinivasan would fall into this category, unsure who else), you can usually work 9-5 (With an hour for lunch) pretty comfortably. I know a former Ninth Circuit clerk who then clerked on the D.C. Circuit who actually found themself kind of bored with the lighter caseload.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:19 pm

Any info on particular judges and how they run chambers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:19 pm
As someone alluded to earlier, Judge Millett's chambers work very long hours. They do mini moots for each case to drill down on all the arguments on both sides.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
As someone alluded to earlier, Judge Millett's chambers work very long hours. They do mini moots for each case to drill down on all the arguments on both sides.
Goodness, doing that for every case sounds like a waste of time, though probably good experience

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Silberman has an, uh, interesting new dissent calling for the reversal of NYT v. Sullivan.

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/ ... 890626.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Goodness, doing that for every case sounds like a waste of time, though probably good experience
I have heard another DC Cir judge does this. Maybe it isn't as bad when you have so few oral arguments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have heard another DC Cir judge does this. Maybe it isn't as bad when you have so few oral arguments.
I know of a judge on the Ninth who does a simplified version of this. Not sure how they do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Any specific knowledge of Pillard, Wilkins, and Srinavasin?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know of a judge on the Ninth who does a simplified version of this. Not sure how they do it.
Which judge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:13 pm
Bump, but also interested if anyone has a breakdown of all the Judges, like someone posted for the 6th Circuit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump, but also interested if anyone has a breakdown of all the Judges, like someone posted for the 6th Circuit
Bump, this would be helpful

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What do you actually want to know and why? Anyone who would be in a position to choose between multiple judges on the D.C. Circuit would also be at a school where they could speak with professors and alumni who know the judge personally, which would be much more helpful than an anonymous stranger telling you whether they like the judge.
Judges Wilkins, Henderson, and Rao are the ones most likely to hire grads who aren't from HSYC. Judge Henderson seems to not be super well-tempered in chambers (she sent out a couple passive aggressive emails while I was there), but overall a fine judge; Judge Rao requires FedSoc connections and ideology; and Judge Wilkins seems like a great boss (his clerks seemed quite happy, though he's also the least likely of the three to dip below the T14).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Does anyone know what term most of the off-plan judges are hiring for? I saw that McFadden is apparently full till the 2024-25 term this morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What do you actually want to know and why? Anyone who would be in a position to choose between multiple judges on the D.C. Circuit would also be at a school where they could speak with professors and alumni who know the judge personally, which would be much more helpful than an anonymous stranger telling you whether they like the judge.
Judges Wilkins, Henderson, and Rao are the ones most likely to hire grads who aren't from HSYC. Judge Henderson seems to not be super well-tempered in chambers (she sent out a couple passive aggressive emails while I was there), but overall a fine judge; Judge Rao requires FedSoc connections and ideology; and Judge Wilkins seems like a great boss (his clerks seemed quite happy, though he's also the least likely of the three to dip below the T14).
Walker is hiring quite a few non-T14 clerks as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:20 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Does Walker screen for ideology?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cannot imagine that he doesn’t. I also think he used a writing test last year too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cannot imagine that he doesn’t. I also think he used a writing test last year too.
Given how shitty of a writer he is you should pile on the cliches and flourishes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Has Katsas hired for 2023-24?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm
Has Katsas hired for 2023-24?
Yes he has

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Judge Wilkins posted a remarkably helpful OSCAR posting recently. From it, here are the list of schools he has hired from so far:

American University Washington College of Law
Columbia Law School
Duke University School of Law
Fordham University School of Law
George Washington University School of Law
Georgetown University Law Center
Harvard Law School
New York University School of Law
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
Pepperdine University School of Law
Stanford Law School
Tulane University Law School