Can I get a clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Can I get a clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 am

I have exactly half and half Hs and Ps from Y/S, plus law review/journal, and strong letters (though not from especially connected faculty). I will also be coming from 1 or 2 years in a lit boutique. Is it worth even applying to 2nd Cir. or SDNY/EDNY, or is there no chance? (Am limited to clerking in the NYC area for personal reasons).

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Can I get a clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:37 am

:cry: I don’t know H/Y grades (my hunch is you’re competitive at least for EDNY and it’s worth applying everywhere) but don’t count out D CT or D NJ, also the satellite offices of ED/SDNY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:14 am

I don't think there is a meaningful difference in competitiveness between EDNY and SDNY (at least at my HYS). That being said, you might have a shot with some of the less competitive judges--and certainly DCT and DNJ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:51 pm

With similar stats (and strong but not unique softs), I got three interviews and one offer on the courts OP mentions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00 pm

You are definitely not out with those grades at Y or S and you should apply broadly. But just so you know, those are significantly better grades at S than Y. You should adjust your expectations accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:34 pm

OP here - bumping this up in case someone has insight on COA. Will confirm that my half H/half Ps are from yls. Any shot at 2nd circuit, do you guys think?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:34 pm
OP here - bumping this up in case someone has insight on COA. Will confirm that my half H/half Ps are from yls. Any shot at 2nd circuit, do you guys think?
I'm the above poster with similar stats. My offer was 2nd Circuit so I would highly recommend applying, and applying broadly. You have a shot but will need a little luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:29 am

Your app wouldn’t be seriously considered by my Manhattan CA2 judge, though if you did a district court first it would be strengthened, but there’s no downside to applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”