Is clerking worth it for me? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Is clerking worth it for me?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:25 am

Sorry if this has been overdone, but my situation as follows. I am currently a first year litigation associate at a big law firm. A few professors I keep in touch with have suggested clerking. Would it be worth it? Like most t14 graduates, I'm saddled with debt.

Also, what are the hours typically like? I understand it is variable depending on judge.

Anonymous User

Re: Is clerking worth it for me?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:55 am

It can depend on what kind of clerkship you can realistically get, your specialty, your geographic area, your long-term career goals, your personal life, etc. In general I think most people think federal clerkships are worth it, but it’s not a one-size-fits-all decision.

In general hours are closer to 9-5 but it depends on the court and the individual judge. Like Ikuta and Watford are two very well-regarded judges in the same courthouse and court but the former will work you much harder. Some courts, such as SDNY and places with too few judges for their dockets (due to vacancies like CDCA or too few judgeships like ND Iowa or D Idaho), are particularly known for long hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:15 pm

Chiming in for perspective and to bump for you. I am also a first year biglaw lit associate. I’m about to double clerk. I don’t have as much debt as you. The money we’re making now is really nice, but at the end of the day I just really want to clerk, plain and simple. I’m not even clerking in any city that I would stay in. But I researched judges and feel pretty fortunate about the two I’ll clerk for.

I liked law school and clerking seems fun. That’s enough for me. I think it’ll be good for my options later on with boutiques or fed gov, but people on the other side can chime in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:46 am

Thank you for both of the response. I really enjoyed law school as well, hoping clerking is somewhat similar.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:43 am

As you said, the hours depend on the judge. I'd do research on the judges to the extent you can before accepting a job. With my two clerkships, one was a 9 to 5. The other was probably more in the 50 hours per week range (if we had a trial, greater than that). But both were laid back atmospheres, and I clerked for two judges who are great people. So I thoroughly enjoyed both clerkships.

I'd recommend clerking. The work is interesting. You learn a lot. And it seems like other lawyers assume you're competent and knowledgeable because you've done it. Your enjoyment of the job will depend a lot on your boss, your co-clerk(s), and the staff around you. So make sure you clerk for a good person in a positive environment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”