Conservative Legal Fellowships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Iowahawk

Bronze

Re: Conservative Legal Fellowships

Post by Iowahawk » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 am

AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:20 am
Iowahawk wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:04 am
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:36 pm
Here's another one:

https://www.adflegal.org/training/young-lawyers-academy

Just beware this may be too spicy for some judges and justices.
For non-flaming takes, my sense is that ADF may cause long-term career issues that the more mainstream ones won't and I don't get the sense that it's as well-regarded as e.g. the Marshall in the conservative legal world, so I don't know if there's much upside. And I believe you may have to disclose all of this stuff on a judiciary questionnaire if you're ever nominated for something.

Perhaps. Like I said, ADF is spicy. Right up there with the Family Research Council. But ADF gets results and they are committed to the fight. People have no idea. They achieved an important SCOTUS win just yesterday, for example.

The only people who might be allergic to ADF that are of consequence are corporate Republicans. But even then, that is a questionable proposition. As far as disclosure on judiciary questionnaires, that is not important whatsoever. For example, it did not hurt Allison Rushing one bit. We just roll our eyes at the Dems when they are not around and provide innocuous responses to their questionnaires. The days of Kennedy-type judicial appointments are over.
Rushing had a somewhat rocky confirmation and was a circuit court nominee with a friendly Senate, there are more barriers to district courts (blue slips, for now), most state courts (merit selection of some sort), and anything in a time of divided government. I dunno, you probably know ADF's clout better than me, but Rushing's thing was just an internship and it was a problem.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 am

Everyone cool it with the unsolicited diatribes about your political beliefs. The OP probably doesn't care, and it's cluttering up a thread that may otherwise contain good advice re fellowships. So knock it off.

It appears the OP is still getting substantive answers to their question, so I'm leaving this open for now. Feel free to use the Lounge (it really is ok to post there) for unrelated partisan bickering.

huntin4clerkships

New

Post by huntin4clerkships » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 am

So, this is an attempt to steer things back to OP’s original question:

Are there really only three name-worthy, conservative legal fellowships, i.e., Claremont, James Wilson, and James Kent?

Would love to hear if there are any others out there, even if they don’t match the above three’s prestige and name recognition.

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:18 pm

huntin4clerkships wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 am

Are there really only three name-worthy, conservative legal fellowships, i.e., Claremont, James Wilson, and James Kent?

Would love to hear if there are any others out there, even if they don’t match the above three’s prestige and name recognition.

There are 4. You missed Originalism Summer Seminar. People who do one or more of those sometimes do tangential ones like the ones I mentioned in my posts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm

(1) This thread is great. I wish I knew these things a decade ago when I was graduating

(2) Is there anything like this for biglaw senior associates/of counsel looking for a segue to something else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm
(2) Is there anything like this for biglaw senior associates/of counsel looking for a segue to something else?
The Claremont Institute has the "Lincoln Fellowship" for "public policy professionals, senior journalists, and media veterans who are exercising influence in key positions in national politics." (Its not targeted toward lawyers, and it seems ultra competitive, but I'm sure there's a case to be made for attending as a lawyer going places in the conservative movement.)

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm
(1) This thread is great. I wish I knew these things a decade ago when I was graduating

I was going to say:
https://adflegal.org/training/young-lawyers-academy

But as you graduated a decade ago, perhaps this?:
https://adflegal.org/training/legal-academy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 pm

AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:18 pm
huntin4clerkships wrote:

There are 4. You missed Originalism Summer Seminar. People who do one or more of those sometimes do tangential ones like the ones I mentioned in my posts.
Is it possible to do any of these programs while working during the summer?

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 pm
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
huntin4clerkships wrote:

I would think so. Just ask for the week off at your firm. You’ll probably lose out on that SA comp, but you’ll partially make it up with the fellowship honorarium.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legalnovice

New

Post by legalnovice » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30 pm

I was just waitlisted for JWI which is a bummer since I'm really interested in Hadley Arkes's work and wanted to learn more about Natural Law/Natural Rights as it intersects with originalism. Does anyone know if people generally get off the waitlist? If I don't get it this year, I'd like to apply again next year. Would my chances be better since I was waitlisted? I will be heading to private practice next year (my last clerkship--for now--will be this upcoming term) and it was mentioned/indicated here that applying without a future clerkship was a negligible negative for JWI and James Kent compared to John Marshall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:23 pm

legalnovice wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30 pm
I was just waitlisted for JWI which is a bummer since I'm really interested in Hadley Arkes's work and wanted to learn more about Natural Law/Natural Rights as it intersects with originalism. Does anyone know if people generally get off the waitlist? If I don't get it this year, I'd like to apply again next year. Would my chances be better since I was waitlisted? I will be heading to private practice next year (my last clerkship--for now--will be this upcoming term) and it was mentioned/indicated here that applying without a future clerkship was a negligible negative for JWI and James Kent compared to John Marshall.
It's great that you were waitlisted. They flat out told me to get lost after bothering my references. Good luck.

legalnovice

New

Post by legalnovice » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:23 pm
legalnovice wrote:
It's great that you were waitlisted. They flat out told me to get lost after bothering my references. Good luck.
Sorry to hear that! I’m surprised they check references — at least mine didn’t tell me if they were contacted or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm

legalnovice wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
legalnovice wrote:
Sorry to hear that! I’m surprised they check references — at least mine didn’t tell me if they were contacted or not.
I've done the fellowships mentioned. Not super helpful, but I figured I should tell you getting off the waitlist is rare but not unheard of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalnovice

New

Post by legalnovice » Tue May 04, 2021 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm
legalnovice wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
legalnovice wrote:
I've done the fellowships mentioned. Not super helpful, but I figured I should tell you getting off the waitlist is rare but not unheard of.
Thanks. I’m not surprised its rare. Will report back if I get off. Fingers crossed I do but not keeping my hopes up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2021 10:56 am

AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
huntin4clerkships wrote:

I would think so. Just ask for the week off at your firm. You’ll probably lose out on that SA comp, but you’ll partially make it up with the fellowship honorarium.
how does one put the originalism summer seminar on their resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:56 am
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
huntin4clerkships wrote:

I've seen it listed underneath one's law school along with journals, etc., and also in a separate section (titled something like "affiliations" or "activities").

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Mon May 24, 2021 2:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:56 am
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
huntin4clerkships wrote:

Seminars and Fellowships (assuming you have one of each)

otherwise maybe under something like

Honors and Awards

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Mon May 24, 2021 2:23 am

legalnovice wrote:

Tell ‘em you’re grateful for their consideration and honored (or whatever most appropriate word) to have been waitlisted. Keep the week open and tell ‘em you’ll definitely attend if a spot opens up. Maybe keep in touch and send in a comment or something after watching one of their webinars. Personal touch will boost odds.

Don’t lose hope. People always, just about inexplicably, drop out and spots always open up.

legalnovice

New

Post by legalnovice » Thu May 27, 2021 9:39 am

AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:23 am
legalnovice wrote:

Tell ‘em you’re grateful for their consideration and honored (or whatever most appropriate word) to have been waitlisted. Keep the week open and tell ‘em you’ll definitely attend if a spot opens up. Maybe keep in touch and send in a comment or something after watching one of their webinars. Personal touch will boost odds.

Don’t lose hope. People always, just about inexplicably, drop out and spots always open up.
I ended up withdrawing my application for further consideration since I was accepted to the Kent Academy (which has been scheduled to be on the same week as JWI's Fellowship this year). I did tell JWI that I hope to reapply next year and I remain deeply interested in the program.

You mentioned a while back that you've done all 4 seminars/fellowships. Any tips on how to take full advantage of the opportunities? I'm going through the Originalism Summer Seminar right now and the academic content is awesome, along with the opportunities we get to ask Randy Barnett and the other speakers questions. But it's been a struggle to network since everything is online (to be fair, there are virtual happy hours, but it's still not the same). I've been trying to just add people on LinkedIn and engaging there if appropriate. Any more suggestions on that front? Fortunately, the Kent Academy will be in-person so hopefully that will be easier on the networking side of things.

Aside from that question, I definitely want to reapply to both JWI and John Marshall next year. I'd like to start by actually learning more about the programs and hopefully contacting alumni from the two programs who also attended the Originalism Summer Seminar and/or FedSoc's Kent Academy. I'm genuinely interested in JWI and the Claremont Institute's programming so hopefully I can attend and be intentionally present this year. I'd also like my judge/s to write letters of rec for my applications next round (which worked really well for the Kent Academy this cycle). Am I missing anything else or do you have further suggestions to make my application more competitive next year?

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 pm

legalnovice wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:39 am
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
legalnovice wrote:

I ended up withdrawing my application for further consideration since I was accepted to the Kent Academy (which has been scheduled to be on the same week as JWI's Fellowship this year). I did tell JWI that I hope to reapply next year and I remain deeply interested in the program.

You mentioned a while back that you've done all 4 seminars/fellowships. Any tips on how to take full advantage of the opportunities? I'm going through the Originalism Summer Seminar right now and the academic content is awesome, along with the opportunities we get to ask Randy Barnett and the other speakers questions. But it's been a struggle to network since everything is online (to be fair, there are virtual happy hours, but it's still not the same). I've been trying to just add people on LinkedIn and engaging there if appropriate. Any more suggestions on that front? Fortunately, the Kent Academy will be in-person so hopefully that will be easier on the networking side of things.

Aside from that question, I definitely want to reapply to both JWI and John Marshall next year. I'd like to start by actually learning more about the programs and hopefully contacting alumni from the two programs who also attended the Originalism Summer Seminar and/or FedSoc's Kent Academy. I'm genuinely interested in JWI and the Claremont Institute's programming so hopefully I can attend and be intentionally present this year. I'd also like my judge/s to write letters of rec for my applications next round (which worked really well for the Kent Academy this cycle). Am I missing anything else or do you have further suggestions to make my application more competitive next year?

Congratulations! Yes, it is going to be difficult to make connections when it is a web seminar. One option would be to create a group chat (GroupMe or WhatsApp). Other than that, the idea would be to schedule some lunch meetings after the seminar, if any of the other participants live nearby. I would also try to attend the yearly alumni dinner. Other than that, you can only really befriend on Facebook and LinkedIn.

As far as reapplying, just really immerse yourself in the material. Watch the programming and read their publications. With that, try to upgrade your application materials and get more recommendations. If you live in D.C. or Cali, I would also try to attend some events.

legalnovice

New

Post by legalnovice » Fri May 28, 2021 9:50 am

AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 pm
legalnovice wrote:
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
legalnovice wrote:

Congratulations! Yes, it is going to be difficult to make connections when it is a web seminar. One option would be to create a group chat (GroupMe or WhatsApp). Other than that, the idea would be to schedule some lunch meetings after the seminar, if any of the other participants live nearby. I would also try to attend the yearly alumni dinner. Other than that, you can only really befriend on Facebook and LinkedIn.

As far as reapplying, just really immerse yourself in the material. Watch the programming and read their publications. With that, try to upgrade your application materials and get more recommendations. If you live in D.C. or Cali, I would also try to attend some events.
Thank you! Also, I really appreciate you---as well as the other posters here--- for being a great resource. I know some people who have also benefited greatly from the information you've posted. I'd like to shift the discussion a bit and maybe ask you (and everyone else for that matter) as to what your "favorite" fellowship/seminar is? More specifically, I'm curious to know how you would rank the four fellowships/seminars in terms of post-clerkship career benefits for someone interested in academia and/or public service. And, would attending some or all of these also benefit a private practice as well? I'm assuming yes on the latter given the networking opportunities but I'm nevertheless curious to learn what other people, especially alumni of these programs, can say on this. I will be heading to private practice after my clerkships but I'd like to transition into public advocacy or government work (depending on who's running the Executive branch of our government in the future) in the near future. I'm interested to know how being an alum of these programs would assist me in my post-clerkship career moving forward.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:30 pm

legalnovice wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:50 am
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 pm
legalnovice wrote:
AAPLTSLADIS wrote:
legalnovice wrote:

Thank you! Also, I really appreciate you---as well as the other posters here--- for being a great resource. I know some people who have also benefited greatly from the information you've posted. I'd like to shift the discussion a bit and maybe ask you (and everyone else for that matter) as to what your "favorite" fellowship/seminar is? More specifically, I'm curious to know how you would rank the four fellowships/seminars in terms of post-clerkship career benefits for someone interested in academia and/or public service. And, would attending some or all of these also benefit a private practice as well? I'm assuming yes on the latter given the networking opportunities but I'm nevertheless curious to learn what other people, especially alumni of these programs, can say on this. I will be heading to private practice after my clerkships but I'd like to transition into public advocacy or government work (depending on who's running the Executive branch of our government in the future) in the near future. I'm interested to know how being an alum of these programs would assist me in my post-clerkship career moving forward.

You are welcome! I am heartened to hear it has been useful.

As far as favorite: Claremont. As far as post-clerkship benefits for purposes of academia, probably James Kent, followed by Originalism. (Just keep in mind it might detract from your candidacy at liberal schools.) For public service (as in Desantis/Trump administration etcetera), probably John Marshall. As far as private practice, it depends on whether there is a critical mass of conservatives at your law firm. If so, it will help with getting staffed on matters. If it's a liberal law firm, again, it could detract (but so be it).

The best thing about these programs is the intellectual vitaminization against the left, and the friendships you will forge. It is a small world and the fellows generally know of each other. It is an informal network that spans across time. The fellows will move up in the world and will undoubtedly keep an eye open for other fellows. It could be viewed as a form of ideological quality control. Depending on the program, the odds of a fellow defecting, decades in the future, is quite low. Cf. a law clerk for a conservative jurist.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”