Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2022 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 pm
Do Columbia and NYU just not make any effort to place their top students on SCOTUS?
Columbia, sure seems like it. I’ve had friends struggle to get the institutional support needed despite being a very strong candidate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2022 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Do Columbia and NYU just not make any effort to place their top students on SCOTUS?
Columbia, sure seems like it. I’ve had friends struggle to get the institutional support needed despite being a very strong candidate.
The lack of a substantial pipeline to conservative feeders really hurts both schools. Columbia is basically down a clerk a year after replacing RBG with Barrett. NYU is extremely reliant on Sotomayor, but we hold our own when we do place grads with conservative feeders (see 2020 with 4 clerks, two with conservatives).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2022 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
The lack of a substantial pipeline to conservative feeders really hurts both schools. Columbia is basically down a clerk a year after replacing RBG with Barrett. NYU is extremely reliant on Sotomayor, but we hold our own when we do place grads with conservative feeders (see 2020 with 4 clerks, two with conservatives).
NYU having Richard Epstein part-time is probably part of it. Park hires somewhat regularly from CLS, as you’d expect from someone with a spouse on the faculty, as does Livingston, who obviously teaches at CLS, so there isn’t *no* network, but it’s small.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 12:05 pm

Mini-update with Lat out: mostly KBJ clerks, with a couple out-year CJR / Alito clerks. Kovner nabs a second, Thapar continues doing Thapar things, and we have a *double* SCOTUS clerk. Nothing surprising on the lib side--it's interesting how I believe all of Nathan's feeds were pre-elevation; will be interesting to see, if like her fellow 2d-sitting-by-designation-on-SDNY peer Sullivan, the feeding continues post-elevation, though with only 3 libs on the Court, it may be harder to "see" in the stats for a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Thapar has a whopping 10 feeds over next two years. Is that a record?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:05 pm
Mini-update with Lat out: mostly KBJ clerks, with a couple out-year CJR / Alito clerks. Kovner nabs a second, Thapar continues doing Thapar things, and we have a *double* SCOTUS clerk. Nothing surprising on the lib side--it's interesting how I believe all of Nathan's feeds were pre-elevation; will be interesting to see, if like her fellow 2d-sitting-by-designation-on-SDNY peer Sullivan, the feeding continues post-elevation, though with only 3 libs on the Court, it may be harder to "see" in the stats for a while.
Who's the Kovner clerk?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Who's the Kovner clerk?
Yale class of 2021, Kovner -> Thapar -> CJR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Can anyone post the breakdown?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 1:39 pm

One interesting broader trend: it appears that, despite the raw stats, Wilkinson and O'Scannlain aren't really differentiated from the "new" feeders on a per-term basis anymore. I think Wilkinson has one in the OT2022 forward clerks announced and O'Scannlain has none. Obviously a young glittering conservative is going to prefer Katsas / Thapar / Pryor / Sutton, but there's not much daylight at all between Wilkinson and O'Scannlain and the Rao / Bibas / Oldham / Hardiman / Newsom types either anymore.

They'll both probably be "fine" feeding-wise despite nonideal locations, but they are getting up there in age. Wilkinson will have a few libs apply to him as always, but he's not really a glittering New Right type of judge in the way some of the other judges are, which might be more exciting both for applicants and some of the new Justices.

O'Scannlain seems more ideological and exciting for true believers, but there are "better" (both in terms of feeding numbers and age) judges in his "category" for feeder candidates these days. Portland also is what it is location-wise, and it might be less exciting than the 11th Cir. locations for conservatives, and again, he's 85.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 pm
Could someone post the new hires? Is OT 2023 full?
YLS —> Lohier/Moss (DDC) —> JGR
YLS —> Sullivan (SDNY)/JR Brown —> CT
YLS —> Thapar —> CT
YLS —> Rao/Sullivan —> SAA
YLS —> Thapar/Katsas —> SAA
Penn —> Tjoflat/Matey —> SAA
YLS —> Kethledge/Grant —> NMG
NW —> Oldham/Pryor —> NMG
Chi —> Thapar/Oldham —> NMG
YLS —> Cabranes —> NMG
UVA —> Oldham/Thapar —> NMG
HLS —> Oldham/Newsom —> NMG
YLS —> Bibas/JR Walker —> NMG
YLS —> Hardiman —> BMK
ND —> Colloton/Sutton —> ACB
UVA —> Sykes/Katsas —> ACB
SLS —> Bibas/Friedrich (DDC) —> ACB
Chi —> Thapar/Katsas —> ACB
YLS —> Kethledge/Thapar —> AMK
That Oldham to Gorsuch pipeline is quite something
Seems like Lohier may take over as the big liberal feeder on CA2 now that Katzmann has passed?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:34 pm

It's certainly not a good thing that with the absolutely idiotic decisions Oldham has had a hand in producing of late, so many of his clerks are getting SCOTUS clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 pm
Could someone post the new hires? Is OT 2023 full?
YLS —> Lohier/Moss (DDC) —> JGR
YLS —> Sullivan (SDNY)/JR Brown —> CT
YLS —> Thapar —> CT
YLS —> Rao/Sullivan —> SAA
YLS —> Thapar/Katsas —> SAA
Penn —> Tjoflat/Matey —> SAA
YLS —> Kethledge/Grant —> NMG
NW —> Oldham/Pryor —> NMG
Chi —> Thapar/Oldham —> NMG
YLS —> Cabranes —> NMG
UVA —> Oldham/Thapar —> NMG
HLS —> Oldham/Newsom —> NMG
YLS —> Bibas/JR Walker —> NMG
YLS —> Hardiman —> BMK
ND —> Colloton/Sutton —> ACB
UVA —> Sykes/Katsas —> ACB
SLS —> Bibas/Friedrich (DDC) —> ACB
Chi —> Thapar/Katsas —> ACB
YLS —> Kethledge/Thapar —> AMK
That Oldham to Gorsuch pipeline is quite something
Seems like Lohier may take over as the big liberal feeder on CA2 now that Katzmann has passed?
I guess by default, but that’s not saying much because most of the liberal talent in New York is in SDNY. One story might be seeing whether Rakoff continues (or even has interest in, considering he’s nearly 80) being a feeder post-Katzmann. His very far out-year hiring was pretty unappealing even with the Katzmann link / clean shot at SCOTUS attached, but without that perk it’s just a little weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 3:45 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:34 pm
It's certainly not a good thing that with the absolutely idiotic decisions Oldham has had a hand in producing of late, so many of his clerks are getting SCOTUS clerkships.
It’s strange that he’s amassed this level of support because even for his “brand” of conservatism he seems intellectually not really up to the level of Ho in his own court. I always thought of him as a step behind certainly Thapar / Sutton / Bibas as a thinker, but I guess Gorsuch disagrees.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 4:52 pm

With the rise of so many conservative regular feeders, it's kind of interesting how the 9th Circuit, being chock full of Trump appointees, doesn't really have any super compelling conservative feeders relative to the 5th / 6th / 11th / DC batch. You would think Bress and Collins, both qualified and not really "moderate" like Miller, would be duking it out given the current Court. Perhaps in time they'll develop but it doesn't make a ton of sense from the outside why they'd be lagging. Maybe it's nothing, like the supposed "delay" in Park / Pacold / Kovner feeding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:45 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
It’s strange that he’s amassed this level of support because even for his “brand” of conservatism he seems intellectually not really up to the level of Ho in his own court. I always thought of him as a step behind certainly Thapar / Sutton / Bibas as a thinker, but I guess Gorsuch disagrees.
Ehh I think Oldham's writing is objectively really good, and in particular he loves writing about English legal history, which also seems to be one of Gorsuch's passions. Bibas and Sutton are two of the most distinguished federal judges on any metric but I'd probably put Oldham at least level with Thapar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:52 pm
With the rise of so many conservative regular feeders, it's kind of interesting how the 9th Circuit, being chock full of Trump appointees, doesn't really have any super compelling conservative feeders relative to the 5th / 6th / 11th / DC batch. You would think Bress and Collins, both qualified and not really "moderate" like Miller, would be duking it out given the current Court. Perhaps in time they'll develop but it doesn't make a ton of sense from the outside why they'd be lagging. Maybe it's nothing, like the supposed "delay" in Park / Pacold / Kovner feeding.
Bress has in the pipeline a lot of the top Fed Soc applicants from UVA (the sorts Wilkinson used to always get) and Stanford. I would expect him to be a significant feeder.

It's worth remembering that Bress, Collins, Park, Pacold, and Kovner were among the later Trump appointees, so they've had a couple fewer classes of clerks than e.g. Bibas, Newsom, Thapar, and McFadden, who were among the earliest Trump appointees. And for many judges the first class or two of clerks will be less selective than other classes, because they'll be people with connections hired before confirmation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Ehh I think Oldham's writing is objectively really good, and in particular he loves writing about English legal history, which also seems to be one of Gorsuch's passions. Bibas and Sutton are two of the most distinguished federal judges on any metric but I'd probably put Oldham at least level with Thapar.
Agree with all this, and would add that Oldham and Gorsuch were both partners at Kellogg Huber.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 5:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Agree with all this, and would add that Oldham and Gorsuch were both partners at Kellogg Huber.
Oldham was never a partner at Kellogg Huber and he and Gorsuch never overlapped

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
His writing style is fine. His jurisprudence is a little choppy—compare his dissenting opinion to Ho’s (I believe majority and concurring) in the private prison case, and it all seems very rushed and a little hand-wavy relatively.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 pm

Thapar, Katsas, Sutton, Pryor and Oldham are probably the top conservative feeders in some order. Katsas benefits from taking people on their second clerkship so he'll get some of the best clerks from the other four judges. In that sense, Katsas might end up being more competitive than SCOTUS for a conservative because there are six Justices (plus Kennedy's clerk) while only four slots with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Katsas ends up getting 4/4 most years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 pm
Thapar, Katsas, Sutton, Pryor and Oldham are probably the top conservative feeders in some order. Katsas benefits from taking people on their second clerkship so he'll get some of the best clerks from the other four judges. In that sense, Katsas might end up being more competitive than SCOTUS for a conservative because there are six Justices (plus Kennedy's clerk) while only four slots with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Katsas ends up getting 4/4 most years.
Agreed. Katsas and Thapar have the reputation in FedSoc circles of going to extraordinary lengths to hire clerks they know they can easily feed. Their numbers will be stratospheric, but not all of that will be because their phone calls are the "golden ticket," at least not yet. Pryor and Sutton are less focused on recruiting Yale's FedSoc president, and they'll sometimes take a flyer on an Alabama or OSU valedictorian and land them SCOTUS clerkships on the strength of their reputation alone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:14 pm

I think at some point success begets itself. Thapar and Katsas aren't just getting "easy" feeds now. The top conservative students in the country have them at the top of their list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed. Katsas and Thapar have the reputation in FedSoc circles of going to extraordinary lengths to hire clerks they know they can easily feed. Their numbers will be stratospheric, but not all of that will be because their phone calls are the "golden ticket," at least not yet. Pryor and Sutton are less focused on recruiting Yale's FedSoc president, and they'll sometimes take a flyer on an Alabama or OSU valedictorian and land them SCOTUS clerkships on the strength of their reputation alone.
Thapar hires extraordinarily early for some candidates—he’s long been notorious for hiring YLS students without grades, and I know he hired one this year—while Katsas hires practically on-plan afaik. Very different strategies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thapar hires extraordinarily early for some candidates—he’s long been notorious for hiring YLS students without grades, and I know he hired one this year—while Katsas hires practically on-plan afaik. Very different strategies.
How is this even possible? What does he go off of? He just reflexively hires any Yalies who were Rhodes scholars?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How is this even possible? What does he go off of? He just reflexively hires any Yalies who were Rhodes scholars?
Yale + FedSoc + connections + at least one prof with good shadow grades OR a recommender willing to play the off-plan reference call game is a small but consistently nonzero pool that’s not much of a risk. Plus he has 5 clerks a term instead of 4, which lets him take a “flyer” consistently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”