Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:08 pm
Looking at these ratings, I’m curious about Millett. She seems to have all the usual markers of a feeder (hot-shot SCOTUS litigator, DC Cir) and has a reputation of working her clerks really hard, but doesn’t feed at a high rate.

Is that a red flag that she doesn’t look out for her clerks?
I expect that a lot of it is just that the previous generation of liberal feeders were so dominant—even Srinivasan wasn’t all that big of a feeder until fairly recently—and that now it’s very hard for liberal judges to feed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Looking at these ratings, I’m curious about Millett. She seems to have all the usual markers of a feeder (hot-shot SCOTUS litigator, DC Cir) and has a reputation of working her clerks really hard, but doesn’t feed at a high rate.

I don't know if this is true in her case in particular but sometimes a judge won't feed because they're irascible and/or simply just don't make an effort to build relationships with the Justices. On one extreme, Dabney Friedrich used to date Brett Kavanaugh--it's unsurprising she'll feed to Kavanaugh and that builds a virtuous cycle of getting clerks who are competitive for Kavanaugh or the Chief. On the other extreme, Posner would antagonize a number of Justices with his writing. While some of his clerks still went to the Court, I can't help but think that on the margins, they went because they were good enough to clerk for a Posner-tier judge rather than because Posner was calling in a favor with a Justice to get them hired.

Millett might be in the latter because I've heard she's a difficult person but it could just be that she never got to know the liberal Justices. That might change with KBJ on the Court plus her working relationship with Kavanaugh from the DC Circuit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

The recent terms have marked an uptick for her feeding actually—this criticism was more common earlier when she hadn’t fed / only had 1-2. She seems to be taking more counters / libs who are open to being counters, which may be coincidence or a conscious choice, but it has led to more feeds on this current Court.
Agreed, and I'd guess it's a conscious choice. Millett is quite moderate anyways, it's not much sacrifice to hire clerks who are moderate too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:20 am

At my HYS, Nathan has very quickly become the top sought-after clerkship for the top students. This is interesting. Wondering if it means she will be feeding a lot in the coming future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:20 am
At my HYS, Nathan has very quickly become the top sought-after clerkship for the top students. This is interesting. Wondering if it means she will be feeding a lot in the coming future.
I'd expect her to feed quite a bit, and the one Nathan clerk I know who was hired post-elevation will be a SCOTUS contender for sure, but she also hired out pretty far on the district court, during which time she was "only" the 4th or so most competitive SDNY judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:20 am
I'd expect her to feed quite a bit, and the one Nathan clerk I know who was hired post-elevation will be a SCOTUS contender for sure, but she also hired out pretty far on the district court, during which time she was "only" the 4th or so most competitive SDNY judge.
I wonder if she will become a feeder on the level of Pillard, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:18 am

Which conservative feeders are most likely to hire a liberal? Are there any tippy-top conservative feeders who'll hire someone who is closer to Kagan than Kavanaugh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:18 am
Which conservative feeders are most likely to hire a liberal? Are there any tippy-top conservative feeders who'll hire someone who is closer to Kagan than Kavanaugh?
Sutton

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wilkinson.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bibas hires people who are pretty liberal. Not a major feeder, but probably close to Wilkinson territory these days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:10 pm

The biggest conservative feeders who regularly hire liberals are Bibas, Livingston, and Wilkinson. Sutton and Thapar at least used to as well, but I’m not sure that they still do. There are some judges who seem likely to become significant feeders in the years ahead, like Richardson and Park, who do as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Bibas hires people who are pretty liberal. Not a major feeder, but probably close to Wilkinson territory these days.

Isn’t JHW considered a pretty major feeder?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Isn’t JHW considered a pretty major feeder?
He was a bigger feeder back when Kennedy and Scalia were still on the court. He is still a feeder, but has been surpassed by a few others. I think someone put a table out with the current feeder power rankings and he was near Bibas, Rao, and Oldham.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:10 pm
The biggest conservative feeders who regularly hire liberals are Bibas, Livingston, and Wilkinson. Sutton and Thapar at least used to as well, but I’m not sure that they still do. There are some judges who seem likely to become significant feeders in the years ahead, like Richardson and Park, who do as well.
Sutton clerk hired for a future year was a field organizer for Bernie and did multiple ACLU internships, another is an ACS chapter leader. He still hires liberals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sutton clerk hired for a future year was a field organizer for Bernie and did multiple ACLU internships, another is an ACS chapter leader. He still hires liberals.
Yes, Sutton still hires usually one counter clerk ala Scalia. Now that he's Chief, I imagine some years he might even be open to a second counter-clerk. He has a big focus on someone he thinks he can feed to the left of center justices so he hires pretty far left folks pretty often. He also often offers a clerkship to usually one person from his HLS seminar--often the counter clerk. I interviewed for the spot within the last few years and know some recent hires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:59 pm

A little off topic, but this is a thread about feeders, so I figured this question might as well go here.

I'm just thinking about certain judges who appear to have the "feeder" kind of profile (clerked on SCOTUS themselves, or are/were very plugged into DC elite litigation circles, etc.) that haven't really sent anyone, or maybe like one or two. Some that come to mind--very random but spitballing here--include Harris (4th), Howell (DDC), Cooper (DDC), Liman (SDNY) ...and even people who have been on the bench longer, like Lynch (2d), Hurwitz (9th), Koeltl (SDNY).

I'm just wondering if the lack of feeding from people who could feed says anything about them as mentors (maybe not willing to push people that hard), or if it's just that they tend to hire people who are more interested in doing things where the ultimate gold star just doesn't seem important, or...? Or do the Justices only really care to hear from a small handful of people, and if you're not in their small circle of trusted recommenders, too bad?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 pm

There just aren’t that many spots for liberal feeders, and some of those, like Lynch, Howell, and Koeltl, have fed before. I have always wondered why Pamela Harris doesn’t feed, as she seems to hit all the boxes—elite credentials, in DMV, likely in similar social circles to the justices.

Equally, you could ask some judges become big feeders with very but not abnormally elite backgrounds and no appellate background—usually I think it’s that they’re exceptional at networking etc (which I’ve heard about Boasberg, Oetken, and Thapar, who are three of that type)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:37 pm

Wilkinson, Thapar, and Sutton hire liberals but Pryor and Katsas don't. Going down a tier, Grant, Newsom, and Bibas all do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:37 pm
Wilkinson, Thapar, and Sutton hire liberals but Pryor and Katsas don't. Going down a tier, Grant, Newsom, and Bibas all do.
Thapar hasn't hired a liberal in a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, Sutton still hires usually one counter clerk ala Scalia. Now that he's Chief, I imagine some years he might even be open to a second counter-clerk. He has a big focus on someone he thinks he can feed to the left of center justices so he hires pretty far left folks pretty often. He also often offers a clerkship to usually one person from his HLS seminar--often the counter clerk. I interviewed for the spot within the last few years and know some recent hires.
I didn't know about the HLS seminar, that's interesting. Sutton has a surprising number of liberal judge/justice friends. Don't know how he does it from Ohio.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I didn't know about the HLS seminar, that's interesting. Sutton has a surprising number of liberal judge/justice friends. Don't know how he does it from Ohio.
He seems to travel a ton, I think he’s talked to every state supreme court or close to it by now, plus he does a lot of law school talks and events

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
He had one last year who also clerked for Chabria. Also there are clerks who might appear "conservative" because they clerk for conservative judges but are personally liberal or centrist (this is especially true given how much harder it is to get liberal clerkships) so the coding is a guessing game.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He had one last year who also clerked for Chabria. Also there are clerks who might appear "conservative" because they clerk for conservative judges but are personally liberal or centrist (this is especially true given how much harder it is to get liberal clerkships) so the coding is a guessing game.
This happens more than people might think, especially with the good thing Thapar has going with Chief Justice Roberts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I believe Thapar has one right now who also clerked for Pacold, but is liberal, but given how far out he hires they were hired back in early 2018. Can’t speak to his more recent practices regarding this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:05 am

Thapar had a liberal for the last 3 years at least. But he's very conservative so that's sometimes forgotten compared to someone like Sutton or Bibas.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”