Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Two of the circuit nominees today, Pan and Bloomekatz, probably have some feeder potential

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:07 pm
Also be cautious about “FedSoc judges moving early at YLS” all meaning “Thapar” just because he feeds incredibly well and is in that category. Ho, despite being a great jurist, has never fed despite the hire mentioned. Collins and Lagoa, both highly respected among conservatives, also move ridiculously fast / without grades and have limited feeding in comparison. So the heuristics, even if they “work” as to candidate quality and even if they are attached to reputable judges, don’t always lead to feeds. Best not to stress and to accept that Thapar is idiosyncratic in some regard.
Agree. This could be a YLS thing rather than a Thapar thing. Different schools are dominated by different feeders. At Chicago, the conservative students all wanted Pryor, who hires them after the first quarter based on Adam Mortara's rec. My friends at other schools say different judges dominate there (e.g., Wilkinson with UVA or Sutton with Stanford). It's not unlikely that Thapar just happens to be tops at Yale where the timeline is after first semester even though there aren't grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Also be cautious about “FedSoc judges moving early at YLS” all meaning “Thapar” just because he feeds incredibly well and is in that category. Ho, despite being a great jurist, has never fed despite the hire mentioned. Collins and Lagoa, both highly respected among conservatives, also move ridiculously fast / without grades and have limited feeding in comparison. So the heuristics, even if they “work” as to candidate quality and even if they are attached to reputable judges, don’t always lead to feeds. Best not to stress and to accept that Thapar is idiosyncratic in some regard.
Agree. This could be a YLS thing rather than a Thapar thing. Different schools are dominated by different feeders. At Chicago, the conservative students all wanted Pryor, who hires them after the first quarter based on Adam Mortara's rec. My friends at other schools say different judges dominate there (e.g., Wilkinson with UVA or Sutton with Stanford). It's not unlikely that Thapar just happens to be tops at Yale where the timeline is after first semester even though there aren't grades.
Have you heard anything about Mortara leaving UChicago? I heard a (unreliable and somewhat unbelievable to me) rumor he may be, which would be a huge deal for its clerkship program

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is true. At NYU, Lohier has fed two clerks to Sotomayor. Rakoff/Katzmann also fed two NYU clerks to Sotomayor. Not sure if Rakoff will continue to feed now that Katzmann has passed. And Furman has fed 1 NYU clerk to Kagan and 3 to Sotomayor. NYU really relies on Sotomayor!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It is definitely a YLS thing. At a school with a traditional grading system, hiring a clerk without grades is a much bigger gamble. Your observation about school-feeder pipelines is also correct in my experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you heard anything about Mortara leaving UChicago? I heard a (unreliable and somewhat unbelievable to me) rumor he may be, which would be a huge deal for its clerkship program
Mortara will be in Nashville although I think he'll still maintain some connection to Chicago, whether it's just coming for Burke events or teaching a class sporadically. It could upend the clerkship landscape for conservatives at Chicago as well as for judges who have historically relied on Mortara to help with the CT pipeline (Pryor, Sykes, Ikuta).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mortara will be in Nashville although I think he'll still maintain some connection to Chicago, whether it's just coming for Burke events or teaching a class sporadically. It could upend the clerkship landscape for conservatives at Chicago as well as for judges who have historically relied on Mortara to help with the CT pipeline (Pryor, Sykes, Ikuta).
Yeah I know he moved to Nashville, the rumor I heard was that he was also leaving the university—my assumption was that my source confused the two. He also wasn’t in-person in Covid times obviously so it doesn’t seem like a radical change if that’s it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is a Thapar thing. He has hired a clerk from ND with the aforementioned characteristics (Fed Soc, military, the rest) after 1L and will probably continue including ND in his search for clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is a Thapar thing. He has hired a clerk from ND with the aforementioned characteristics (Fed Soc, military, the rest) after 1L and will probably continue including ND in his search for clerks.
Did he hire after one year of grades? That's pretty standard for conservatives.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Was bored and wanted to pay some help back so I created a "streamlined" / "predictive" version of the feeder stats here: https://imgur.com/a/oBTpRQp

Key changes from the usual spreadsheet:

1. This reflects OT 2019 forward (i.e., through Lat's "Jackson Four" update); lopping off some of the earlier terms (Stephen Williams is even still in the large spreadsheet) helps predictiveness IMO.

2. Judge distribution list is gone. That's valuable info, of course, and I'm grateful to the OP for the exercise; I just decided not to do it for this quick-and-dirty, ideology-agnostic tool.

3. I mixed Circuits and non-Circuit judges. For feeder applicants, the functional difference in terms of whether to apply to a particular kind of court is not much IMO.

4. This excludes all retired Justices, which means now also excluding Breyer. I *suppose* a truly predictive version would have included clerks hired by retired Justices sitting qua retired Justices (like AMK's single-clerk spot), but I only thought of that while well into making the stats for this spreadsheet.

5. This aggressively excludes all feeding judges who are no longer at that level, whether because of elevation, retirement / moving into another role, or passing away. This gets rid of some of the messiness from when Justices "self-feed" upon elevation or some of the bigger classes where Justices "transferred over" RBG's clerks after she passed or some of the times Gorsuch hires an ex-AMK clerk just because. It also gets rid of all of Garland's / Katzmann's feeds (as typical examples of this "rule"). The only real judgment call I made was getting rid of Huvelle since she's inactive, but this snip doesn't even show that as she only fed once.

5b. There's different philosophies I thought about, particularly for such a "mixed" list, but I also got rid of all district-level feeds for judges who got elevated to circuit. So Nathan isn't on the list at all, Thapar's figures don't count his EDKY feeds, and Sullivan has just his one feed at the 2d Cir. level. Reasonable minds can disagree as to whether that's predictive or not, but it's just the call I made.

The snip only includes judges who fed twice or more in the period. One-timers are, in alphabetical order: Abrams, Alvarez, Ambro, Barron, Bress, Brinkema, Cabranes, Christen, Collins, Ellis, Ellison, Feinerman, Gallagher, Gruender, Higginson, Howell, Ikuta, Jolly, Kelly, P., Liu, Lynch, S., Marcus, Matey, Motz, Murguia, Nielson, Pacold, Park, Pratter, Pregerson, D., Richardson, Richman, Rogers, Scirica, Smith, N.R., Stein, Stras, Tjoflat, Walker, J.R., Wilkins, Willett, and Wood.

I guess I don't have much analysis of my own (will leave that to y'all), but one thing that surprised me is that Wilkinson hasn't really been a super-feeder per his rep in this span. Definitely on the "fuller" side of "semi-feeder", but I just didn't expect him to be tied with Oldham and one above Rao / Furman. I think he only had 1 in the conservative-heavy latest Lat update, too. Also pretty clear, on both sides of the philosophical aisle, to see the decline of some Old Guard semifeeders in these numbers (Ikuta, Barron). Mini-surprises were Feinerman on the low side and Leon (not discussed much here) / Calabresi (given his age) on the high side.

I have underlying spreadsheets with a lot of the parameters in (3)-(5) undone in some combination, so happy to field any stats questions on what the list looks like with some of those decisions reversed; I won't be making another IMGUR, however.

All mistakes are mine, and all credit / inspiration go to OP for inspiring this and being a workhorse for literal years now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm
Was bored and wanted to pay some help back so I created a "streamlined" / "predictive" version of the feeder stats here: https://imgur.com/a/oBTpRQp

1. This reflects OT 2019 forward (i.e., through Lat's "Jackson Four" update); lopping off some of the earlier terms (Stephen Williams is even still in the large spreadsheet) helps predictiveness IMO.

2. Judge distribution list is gone. That's valuable info, of course, and I'm grateful to the OP for the exercise; I just decided not to do it for this quick-and-dirty, ideology-agnostic tool.

3. I mixed Circuits and non-Circuit judges. For feeder applicants, the functional difference in terms of whether to apply to a particular kind of court is not much IMO.

4. This excludes all retired Justices, which means now also excluding Breyer. I *suppose* a truly predictive version would have included clerks hired by retired Justices sitting qua retired Justices (like AMK's single-clerk spot), but I only thought of that while well into making the stats for this spreadsheet.

5. This aggressively excludes all feeding judges who are no longer at that level, whether because of elevation, retirement / moving into another role, or passing away. This gets rid of some of the messiness from when Justices "self-feed" upon elevation or some of the bigger classes where Justices "transferred over" RBG's clerks after she passed or some of the times Gorsuch hires an ex-AMK clerk just because. It also gets rid of all of Garland's / Katzmann's feeds (as typical examples of this "rule"). The only real judgment call I made was getting rid of Huvelle since she's inactive, but this snip doesn't even show that as she only fed once.

5b. There's different philosophies I thought about, particularly for such a "mixed" list, but I also got rid of all district-level feeds for judges who got elevated to circuit. So Nathan isn't on the list at all, Thapar's figures don't count his EDKY feeds, and Sullivan has just his one feed at the 2d Cir. level. Reasonable minds can disagree as to whether that's predictive or not, but it's just the call I made.

The snip only includes judges who fed twice or more in the period. One-timers are, in alphabetical order: Abrams, Alvarez, Ambro, Barron, Bress, Brinkema, Cabranes, Christen, Collins, Ellis, Ellison, Feinerman, Gallagher, Gruender, Higginson, Howell, Ikuta, Jolly, Kelly, P., Liu, Lynch, S., Marcus, Matey, Motz, Murguia, Nielson, Pacold, Park, Pratter, Pregerson, D., Richardson, Richman, Rogers, Scirica, Smith, N.R., Stein, Stras, Tjoflat, Walker, J.R., Wilkins, Willett, and Wood.

I guess I don't have much analysis of my own (will leave that to y'all), but one thing that surprised me is that Wilkinson hasn't really been a super-feeder per his rep in this span. Definitely on the "fuller" side of "semi-feeder", but I just didn't expect him to be tied with Oldham and one above Rao / Furman. I think he only had 1 in the conservative-heavy latest Lat update, too. Also pretty clear, on both sides of the philosophical aisle, to see the decline of some Old Guard semifeeders in these numbers (Ikuta, Barron). Mini-surprises were Feinerman on the low side and Leon (not discussed much here) / Calabresi (given his age) on the high side.

I have underlying spreadsheets with a lot of the parameters in (3)-(5) undone in some combination, so happy to field any stats questions on what the list looks like with some of those decisions reversed; I won't be making another IMGUR, however.

All mistakes are mine, and all credit / inspiration go to OP for inspiring this and being a workhorse for literal years now.
Out of curiosity, what does it look if you add back in the district court feeds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2022 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Out of curiosity, what does it look if you add back in the district court feeds?
Nothing crazy different. Nathan and Sullivan had one each in the period at SDNY pre-elevation. Thapar would jump to the top of the table with 3 EDKY feeds. KBJ had 2 DDC feeds that "followed" her up to SCOTUS (at least one did the pit stop with her at DC Cir. too).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 pm

Friedrich's numbers are mind-boggling. I believe she only hires 2 term clerks a year (correct me if I'm wrong). By percentage, she must be competing with Kavanaugh for the title of most successful feeder judge of all time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2022 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 pm
Friedrich's numbers are mind-boggling. I believe she only hires 2 term clerks a year (correct me if I'm wrong). By percentage, she must be competing with Kavanaugh for the title of most successful feeder judge of all time.
She hires three and has the benefit, like Katsas, of picking people on a second clerkship from an initial feeder after two years of grades. But still very impressive! The gap between her and the next district judge is large on the right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2022 8:01 pm

What do we think the feeding potential of the new big Biden noms, like Nathan or Heytens will be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 pm
Judge Luttig (since retired) may have something to say about that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:01 pm
What do we think the feeding potential of the new big Biden noms, like Nathan or Heytens will be?
Perez will be a feeder in time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Doubtful. Nathan will continue to be one and may become more of a feeder than previously IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If Cristina Rodriguez becomes a CA2 judge, as people are suggesting, then she'll automatically be one of the leading feeders. She'll get the best Yale Law students every year and more than her fair share of top students from other schools too given her links with professors. She might not feed at Srinivasan's rate because he's on the DC Circuit but I can't think of another regional court judge on the left that'll match her.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If Cristina Rodriguez becomes a CA2 judge, as people are suggesting, then she'll automatically be one of the leading feeders. She'll get the best Yale Law students every year and more than her fair share of top students from other schools too given her links with professors. She might not feed at Srinivasan's rate because he's on the DC Circuit but I can't think of another regional court judge on the left that'll match her.

This seems like an overestimate, but I could see her becoming a feeder (especially for clerks who want to go into academia in the future). I could see her matching Livingston and Lohier as the primary liberal feeders pretty soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Doubtful. Nathan will continue to be one and may become more of a feeder than previously IMO.
Nathan will likely get a near-term bump because she's hired several would-be KBJ D.C. Circuit clerks, but we'll have to see if that's sustainable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nathan will likely get a near-term bump because she's hired several would-be KBJ D.C. Circuit clerks, but we'll have to see if that's sustainable.
Yeah, I don't know how accurate it is to call Nathan a feeder generally. She's fed one to a retired Justice in the past five years. But it is curious to see whether that will change.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This seems like an overestimate, but I could see her becoming a feeder (especially for clerks who want to go into academia in the future). I could see her matching Livingston and Lohier as the primary liberal feeders pretty soon.
FWIW, as a YLS student, it doesn't appear that Rodriguez is super interested in feeding students to good judges let alone the Court. This isn't a bad thing, but might just not be the game she wants to play.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 12:43 pm

None of you people know anything by the sounds of it. Livingston isn’t a liberal feeder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why would Perez be a feeder? Her class at Columbia doesn’t attract a full contingent of students and she doesn’t have any close connections to the current justices.

Livingston isn’t really a liberal feeder either, she primarily feeds to Roberts because they like the same type of clerk - summa or close to summa HLS/Yale students. I’d also reckon she prefers to hire moderate conservatives ceteris paribus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”