Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:05 am
Thapar had a liberal for the last 3 years at least. But he's very conservative so that's sometimes forgotten compared to someone like Sutton or Bibas.
Wait, do you think Thapar is more conservative than Bibas? I would have 100% said Bibas is more conservative. This is the guy who thinks that giving criminals electric shocks is the ideal version of punishment.

*to be fair, he was more eloquent than this, and I think he walked it back in his hearings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thapar had a liberal for the last 3 years at least. But he's very conservative so that's sometimes forgotten compared to someone like Sutton or Bibas.
Wait, do you think Thapar is more conservative than Bibas? I would have 100% said Bibas is more conservative. This is the guy who thinks that giving criminals electric shocks is the ideal version of punishment.

*to be fair, he was more eloquent than this, and I think he walked it back in his hearings.
Bibas is more moderate on most metrics imo. He is/was a leading conservative critic of the status quo criminal justice system (that draft article floated it as superior to mass incarceration), whereas I don’t think there’s any area where Thapar is notably moderate. And in general Bibas seems less up to his eyeballs in the Fed Soc world as Thapar, who’s omnipresent in it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bibas is more moderate on most metrics imo. He is/was a leading conservative critic of the status quo criminal justice system (that draft article floated it as superior to mass incarceration), whereas I don’t think there’s any area where Thapar is notably moderate. And in general Bibas seems less up to his eyeballs in the Fed Soc world as Thapar, who’s omnipresent in it.
To what extent would Bibas's smackdown of Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election in Pennsylvania affect his conservative credentials? (https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/203371np.pdf) Obviously no one with any modicum of intelligence actually believes Trump's absurd claims, but are fedsoc folks allowed to publicly admit that and acknowledge it in published opinions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

To what extent would Bibas's smackdown of Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election in Pennsylvania affect his conservative credentials? (https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/203371np.pdf) Obviously no one with any modicum of intelligence actually believes Trump's absurd claims, but are fedsoc folks allowed to publicly admit that and acknowledge it in published opinions?
I can't tell if this person is trolling, but following the law in the face of a lawless President is very much acceptable. Bibas is still warmly welcomed at FedSoc events, and I would think that his standing within the community was increased by his refusal to play along with that nonsense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:37 pm

This is partially to move the CA6 discussion to somewhere more apropos, but I'm curious, especially for those who know future classes, which judges people would "sell" or "buy" versus their current level of feeding. Numbers in parens are from the last feeders-minus-retired-justices list.

Buy: Bress (1), Collins (1), Friedland (3), Heytens (0), Menashi (0), Nathan (0), Park (1), Richardson (0), Stras (1)
Sell: Fletcher (5), Jones (4), Livingston (5), Tatel (5), O'Scannlain (9), Wilkinson (10)

Happy to give rationales, to be clear this is a parlor game not (for the most part) inside info

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:37 pm
This is partially to move the CA6 discussion to somewhere more apropos, but I'm curious, especially for those who know future classes, which judges people would "sell" or "buy" versus their current level of feeding. Numbers in parens are from the last feeders-minus-retired-justices list.

Buy: Bress (1), Collins (1), Friedland (3), Heytens (0), Menashi (0), Nathan (0), Park (1), Richardson (0), Stras (1)
Sell: Fletcher (5), Jones (4), Livingston (5), Tatel (5), O'Scannlain (9), Wilkinson (10)

Happy to give rationales, to be clear this is a parlor game not (for the most part) inside info
Any thoughts on buy/sell for the 7th?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:44 pm

I don't see significant changes on the Seventh--Sykes will continue to feed pretty regularly, Easterbrook will continue to feed occasionally. He only has two clerks per term and doesn't choose them himself, which handicaps him, but on the other hand Chicago often sends him top students interested in academia because they'll have time to write, and some of those are potential SCOTUS material. I wouldn't be shocked if Scudder eventually feeds a tad but he's on-plan, hires mostly liberals, and doesn't seem like he's trying to feed, all of which are negatives. He hires some top students from Chicago, where his class is very popular, but they are top liberal students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm curious! What are your rationales?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'd add "Perez" as a buy. Would not be surprised if she becomes the most prolific feeder on the circuit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd add "Perez" as a buy. Would not be surprised if she becomes the most prolific feeder on the circuit.
Is this Perez thing a meme? Her profile / hiring seems to be miles away from traditional (or even edgy) feeder status. Doesn’t she need like sob-story poetry in her cover letters?

Also I feel like we’re due for a Lat update. The official October list is usually out by now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL clearly a joke. Perez may send once a blue moon, but she will never become a feeder. She doesn’t have the credentials, and there are no indications she’s friendly with the Justices. If she feeds, she will only ever feed to the liberals, and the top liberal students will be going to Sri, Millett, and Pillard or counterclerking for Sutton/Thapar/etc; they’re not applying to Perez.

If the rumors are true and the Cabranes seat is going to Rodriguez, Driver, or Furman, that person will probably become the most prolific feeder or the 2d. Rodriguez and Driver more so, because idt Furman has ever fed to a conservative, while those two probably will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this Perez thing a meme? Her profile / hiring seems to be miles away from traditional (or even edgy) feeder status. Doesn’t she need like sob-story poetry in her cover letters?

Also I feel like we’re due for a Lat update. The official October list is usually out by now.
Eh? Perez’s OSCAR posting emphasizes that she wants workhorses, which is kind of the opposite of that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:59 pm

One can be both a hard boss and PI-y in seeking applications. In any case would be a shocking feeder

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:51 am

I don't see most circuits having more than one feeder at least for the next few years. I'm thinking Heytens, Higginson, and Nathan could rise up on their circuits. I'm very optimistic about Freidland too but I could still see Watford feeding some. KBJ did take a Ginsburg clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:59 pm
One can be both a hard boss and PI-y in seeking applications. In any case would be a shocking feeder
Why are having PI background/interest and being feeder-material necessarily mutually exclusive? Some of the most brilliant people in the legal profession have a PI background/interest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Why are having PI background/interest and being feeder-material necessarily mutually exclusive? Some of the most brilliant people in the legal profession have a PI background/interest.
Different poster. Having a PI background isn't itself disqualifying for being a feeder. However, Perez does not appear to have any of the markings, experiences, or characteristics associated with being a feeder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:05 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different poster. Having a PI background isn't itself disqualifying for being a feeder. However, Perez does not appear to have any of the markings, experiences, or characteristics associated with being a feeder.
She also hasn't hired your typical SCOTUS caliber clerks. This entire discussion is a bit odd - Perez has no typical feeder characteristics, is not (by the account of one person at Brennan that has commented) a good boss, and there is nothing that stands out about her over Nathan or even Lee.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
She also hasn't hired your typical SCOTUS caliber clerks. This entire discussion is a bit odd - Perez has no typical feeder characteristics, is not (by the account of one person at Brennan that has commented) a good boss, and there is nothing that stands out about her over Nathan or even Lee.
Much less Lohier and Livingston, who have shown the ability to feed to liberal justices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Much less Lohier and Livingston, who have shown the ability to feed to liberal justices.
This is fair, thanks for clarifying. I suppose time will tell whether she ends up being a surprise feeder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed. There also has to be some willingness from the judge as well to dial into that practice. Sometimes people overestimate how many judges want to be feeders versus just hire the people they like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is fair, thanks for clarifying. I suppose time will tell whether she ends up being a surprise feeder.
She will not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:53 pm

All of the Manhattan or New Haven judges on the Second who have been there for more than a couple or years have fed—Livingston, Cabranes, Lohier, Carney, Sullivan, Park, Menashi (that’s not public yet but I know it’s true). I believe that’s also true of every Manhattan or New Haven senior—Newman, Kearse, Walker, Leval, Jacobs, Calabresi, Sack, Parker, and Lynch—minus Chin, and several of those are former major feeders. Regardless of background, being a Manhattan CA2 judge is a major “typical feeder characteristic.”

I have no particular thoughts on Perez beyond that, but also remember that the clerks a judge hires in their first couple of terms are often not representative, because they’re usually hired through unusual processes. And if Perez feeds, it will probably be to KBJ or Sotomayor, both of whom have long histories of preferring strong public interest connections and diverse backgrounds to the Sears Prize. So Perez doesn’t necessarily need to compete with Srinivasan for clerks to feed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sell might be too strong but I do think Kethledge is going to drop a bit. He'll still feed–especially to Gorsuch as they're pals–but I don't think he's getting them at the same rate now that the Trump judges have moved up the ranks.

Kethledge also doesn't seem to care to the same degree as Sutton and Pryor about staying in the feeding game with the young guns.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why do you think Stras and Richardson will pick up? Stras sent one pretty soon after he got on the 8th, but it has been a few years since he has fed (to the best of my knowledge). Richardson seems very solid, but he didn't clerk for a current justice, and he hasn't spent too much time in DC recently. Not necessarily disagreeing with either, but I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Why do you think Stras and Richardson will pick up? Stras sent one pretty soon after he got on the 8th, but it has been a few years since he has fed (to the best of my knowledge). Richardson seems very solid, but he didn't clerk for a current justice, and he hasn't spent too much time in DC recently. Not necessarily disagreeing with either, but I am interested to hear your thoughts.
Stras tries for star students and markets himself pretty aggressively, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up. Richardson is also on the FedSoc circuit a lot, and he gets a good number of solid UChicago students.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”