Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Feeder Judge Ratings OT 2016 - 2020 (and a bit beyond)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 pm

Clerkships are probably the least important aspect of this news, but the Second Circuit just announced that Judge Katzmann has passed away. RIP.

Contango

New

Post by Contango » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Reese1 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:47 pm
It's astounding to me how people are still having this conversation. Who cares?
Everyone should care. You can't succeed in law these days without a SCOTUS clerkship.
**Two SCOTUS clerkships
The real question is which JusTTTices become feeders for the truly prefstigious ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Does anyone have a list of the OT 2021 clerks? David Lat's version looks unfinished.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 am

New Sotomayor clerk for 2021: UCLA 2017 -> Christen/Liu (Cal.)/Calabresi

circuitcourtlawyer

New

Post by circuitcourtlawyer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 am

Don't have to rehash a whole debate just to call specific statements out as factually, verifiably untrue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm

David Lat has mentioned a few more. His full post for 2021 should be up soon.

YLS --> Rakoff/Katzmann --> Sotomayor
YLS --> Engelmayer/Barron --> Kagan (Merrick Garland's kid)
UVA --> Jerry Smith/Bibas --> Thomas

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm

It's a poor look and quite silly. Garland's daughter is going to have to recuse herself from every case involving the DOJ, and no one can look at this and not see rampant nepotism. Kagan's hiring is disappointingly elitist.

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:

It's a poor look and quite silly. Garland's daughter is going to have to recuse herself from every case involving the DOJ, and no one can look at this and not see rampant nepotism. Kagan's hiring is disappointingly elitist.
Kagan is not close to being an outlier in this regard. RBG's granddaughter just finished clerking for the top feeder judge on CA2. Kavanaugh hired the child of his top faculty recommender at YLS. One of Kennedy's last clerks was Kozinski's son. The list goes on and on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Kagan is not close to being an outlier in this regard. RBG's granddaughter just finished clerking for the top feeder judge on CA2. Kavanaugh hired the child of his top faculty recommender at YLS. One of Kennedy's last clerks was Kozinski's son. The list goes on and on.
Kennedy also recently hired Howard Nielson Jr.’s daughter, who was not conventionally qualified for a SCOTUS clerkship, as was noted above. John Paul Stevens’s granddaughter recently clerked for Garland, as did Jonathan Massey’s daughter. Kavanaugh’s hiring of Chuafeld’s kid was also soon after she said she wouldn’t apply to SCOTUS when her COA clerkship with him was controversial. As in other things SCOTUS hiring Thomas might actually be the most egalitarian one, I don’t know of any nepotistic hires by him.

YLS’s admissions policies, which are notoriously nepotistic and WASPy, and lack of grades contribute by obscuring nepotism to a degree that’s not possible at e.g. Harvard or Chicago. And most nepotistic hires seem to come out of YLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm
Kennedy also recently hired Howard Nielson Jr.’s daughter, who was not conventionally qualified for a SCOTUS clerkship, as was noted above. John Paul Stevens’s granddaughter recently clerked for Garland, as did Jonathan Massey’s daughter. Kavanaugh’s hiring of Chuafeld’s kid was also soon after she said she wouldn’t apply to SCOTUS when her COA clerkship with him was controversial. As in other things SCOTUS hiring Thomas might actually be the most egalitarian one, I don’t know of any nepotistic hires by him.

YLS’s admissions policies, which are notoriously nepotistic and WASPy, and lack of grades contribute by obscuring nepotism to a degree that’s not possible at e.g. Harvard or Chicago. And most nepotistic hires seem to come out of YLS.
By reputation at YLS, most of these types of candidates (or the children of other distinguished law professors or COA judges) were in fact strong students and not on paper unqualified. So on one hand it feels very spoiled to complain about them in particular - but on the other, it really feels off that among the 100 or so people who end up in the top 10% of HYSCh every year, some number of the best feeder and SCOTUS slots are locked up by certain students compared to their equally qualified peers just because they're born into the innermost circle. The legal profession's always had plenty of nepotism (how many siblings, spouses, children end up at the same firms where family's a partner?), but the combination of fixed supply and the public service-y nature of these jobs makes treating them aristocratically particularly dubious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I will say I had more issues with the obvious conflicts of interest that would make doing the job almost impossible, as opposed to the nepotism, which is sadly part and parcel of SCOTUS. David Lat just reported she will not serve as a law clerk for Justice Kagan while Attorney General Garland remains in office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

While we're at it, isn't Seanhenry VanDyke the son of Judge Lawrence VanDyke? As for Thomas, two of his clerks next year (Steve Lindsay and Scott Proctor) are husbands of former Thomas clerks (Caroline Cook Lindsay and Haley Nix Proctor). This only buttresses the argument you and several other posters are making: nepotism isn't a Kagan thing, it's an every justice thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

While we're at it, isn't Seanhenry VanDyke the son of Judge Lawrence VanDyke? As for Thomas, two of his clerks next year (Steve Lindsay and Scott Proctor) are husbands of former Thomas clerks (Caroline Cook Lindsay and Haley Nix Proctor). This only buttresses the argument you and several other posters are making: nepotism isn't a Kagan thing, it's an every justice thing.
Younger brother.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:03 pm

New feeds from Lat. Maybe some duplicates or one or two missing.

YLS --> Pryor --> Alito
YLS --> O'Scannlain/Griffith --> Alito
YLS --> Griffith --> Kagan
Chicago --> Easterbrook --> Gorsuch
Chicago --> Easterbrook/Eisman (Idaho S Ct) --> Gorsuch (this is actually an error by Lat, who missed the Idaho one)
YLS --> Thapar --> Kavanaugh
HLS --> Stein (SDNY)/Katsas --> Barrett
GW --> Larsen/Sutton --> Barrett
HLS --> Richardson/Silberman --> Barrett

The two Easterbrook feeds are unusual--he's obviously a very prominent judge but doesn't hire his own clerks (the Chicago faculty do) or traditionally feed. I think a good number of aspiring academics are chosen to clerk for him which makes sense with Gorsuch's proclivities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:03 pm

YLS --> Pryor --> Alito
Chicago --> Easterbrook/Eisman (Idaho S Ct) --> Gorsuch (this is actually an error by Lat, who missed the Idaho one)

The two Easterbrook feeds are unusual--he's obviously a very prominent judge but doesn't hire his own clerks (the Chicago faculty do) or traditionally feed. I think a good number of aspiring academics are chosen to clerk for him which makes sense with Gorsuch's proclivities.
I think you missed the HLS --> Jerry Smith/Millett/Bristow Fellow --> Gorsuch clerk, which is an odd combination. Notable Richardson also has his first feed too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm

On "Trump judge watch" in general, on Lat's latest post of OT 2021- so far the order is Friedrich (5), Thapar (5), Katsas (4), Grant (2), Larsen (2), McFadden (2), Rao (2), Bibas (1), Collins (1), Kovner (1), Newsom (1), Oldham (1), Richardson (1), Willett (1).

Notable Trump judges who I believe haven't yet fed since appointment who I might've expected to: Eid, Ho, Sullivan, Park, Bress, Menashi. Though I think Eid and Sullivan both fed a bit pre-elevation.

I'm OP of the original spreadsheet, I still have the file and will get around to updating it sometime in the next week or two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm
On "Trump judge watch" in general, on Lat's latest post of OT 2021- so far the order is Friedrich (5), Thapar (5), Katsas (4), Grant (2), Larsen (2), McFadden (2), Rao (2), Bibas (1), Collins (1), Kovner (1), Newsom (1), Oldham (1), Richardson (1), Willett (1).

Notable Trump judges who I believe haven't yet fed since appointment who I might've expected to: Eid, Ho, Sullivan, Park, Bress, Menashi. Though I think Eid and Sullivan both fed a bit pre-elevation.

I'm OP of the original spreadsheet, I still have the file and will get around to updating it sometime in the next week or two.
Friedrich has 4, you probably added one of Friedland's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

YLS --> Pryor --> Alito

Where did you get this information about Easterbrook feeds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Friedrich has 4, you probably added one of Friedland's.
Thanks for updating it. I also think there is one extra Lohier feed, AFAIK, Lohier only 2 Sotomayor feeds, not three.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

YLS --> Pryor --> Alito

Where did you get this information about Easterbrook feeds?
David Lat's Substack. If anyone else notices things messed up on the original chart, do make a note, I'll fix them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Nevermind, I just did it now. OT 2016 - David Lat's new post (including all of OT 2021). Asterisked judges are no longer on the court they are listed on due to retirement, death, or elevation.

Appellate judges, including feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/qdzfaSf
Appellate judges, excluding feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/h7GxfYp

Many appellate judges had one feed only and couldn't be fit in the chart. They are: A. Duncan*, Ambro, Berzon, Bibas, Cabranes, Carney, Christen, Clifton, Collins, Colloton, Edwards, Elrod, Flaum, G. Lynch, Gruender, Hamilton, Higginbotham, Higginson, Holmes, Ikuta, J.R. Brown*, Jolly, K.N. Moore, Marcus, McKeague, N.R. Smith, Newsom, Owen, Owens, P. Kelly, S. Lynch, S. Thomas, S. Williams, Sack, Sentelle, Stras, Richardson, Tymkovich, and Wilkins.

Non-appellate judges, including feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/hGWledx
Non-appellate judges, excluding feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/uxH8tOE

Note that there's one error I noticed immediately: Silberman should be on there with feeds to Alito and Barrett.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 pm
Nevermind, I just did it now. OT 2016 - David Lat's new post (including all of OT 2021). Asterisked judges are no longer on the court they are listed on due to retirement, death, or elevation.

Appellate judges, including feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/qdzfaSf
Appellate judges, excluding feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/h7GxfYp

Many appellate judges had one feed only and couldn't be fit in the chart. They are: A. Duncan*, Ambro, Berzon, Bibas, Cabranes, Carney, Christen, Clifton, Collins, Colloton, Edwards, Elrod, Flaum, G. Lynch, Gruender, Hamilton, Higginbotham, Higginson, Holmes, Ikuta, J.R. Brown*, Jolly, K.N. Moore, Marcus, McKeague, N.R. Smith, Newsom, Owen, Owens, P. Kelly, S. Lynch, S. Thomas, S. Williams, Sack, Sentelle, Stras, Richardson, Tymkovich, and Wilkins.

Non-appellate judges, including feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/hGWledx
Non-appellate judges, excluding feeds to retired justices: https://imgur.com/a/uxH8tOE

Note that there's one error I noticed immediately: Silberman should be on there with feeds to Alito and Barrett.
Thank you, Anon. You're doing a great service!! You deserve to be commended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for putting this together and sharing it.

Is Sotomayor known to hire counter-clerks? Interesting that she's received 3 feeds from pre-elevation Thapar, along with one feed each from Lamberth (D. DC), Sutton, and Kozinski.

Of course, maybe it's the case that these Sotomayor clerks were ideological liberals whom the conservative judges hired as their own counterclerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Is Sotomayor known to hire counter-clerks? Interesting that she's received 3 feeds from pre-elevation Thapar, along with one feed each from Lamberth (D. DC), Sutton, and Kozinski.

Of course, maybe it's the case that these Sotomayor clerks were ideological liberals whom the conservative judges hired as their own counterclerks.
Her most interesting feed is from J.R. Brown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Her most interesting feed is from J.R. Brown.
Sotomayor doesn’t have counterclerks as far as I know and Sutton and Kosinski both hire plenty of liberals.

J. R. Brown wasn’t really a feeder, but she hired a lot of liberals too. I wouldn’t read much into it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”