2023-2024 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2023-2024 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:09 am
Juust outside top 10% at HLS, H in fed courts, have a professor calling for me and still nothing.

Have had multiple people read my writing sample to excellent feedback. Recs are from profs I RA'd for and who know me fairly well. I don't even know anymore guys.

So dejected lol. Haven't even gotten a call at districts I had ties to that I thought would be realistic shots for me.
Bit too early to say you're out but depends on where you applied - there are still a lot of Dist judges who havent' even begun interviewing in big districts
NDIL/EDNY/SDNY/DDC/D.Mass/EDVA -- most moved heavily. Still waiting on a couple other areas that haven't moved yet but those were the places I was primarily interested in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 am

You can't just apply to the five most competitive districts in the country if you aren't magna at HLS... if you are at all interested in other courts, I would see what you can do to broaden your app strategy assuming you really want to clerk

I wouldn't panic too much, though, plenty of judges on those courts haven't moved yet. Like there are 50 judges or something on SDNY alone, of whom 40 are not looking for exclusively tippy-tippy-top students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Juust outside top 10% at HLS, H in fed courts, have a professor calling for me and still nothing.

Have had multiple people read my writing sample to excellent feedback. Recs are from profs I RA'd for and who know me fairly well. I don't even know anymore guys.

So dejected lol. Haven't even gotten a call at districts I had ties to that I thought would be realistic shots for me.
Bit too early to say you're out but depends on where you applied - there are still a lot of Dist judges who havent' even begun interviewing in big districts
NDIL/EDNY/SDNY/DDC/D.Mass/EDVA -- most moved heavily. Still waiting on a couple other areas that haven't moved yet but those were the places I was primarily interested in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are lots of judges in those districts who haven't moved so you're not dead

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are lots of judges in those districts who haven't moved so you're not dead
Anyone know which NDIL judges haven't moved?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:23 am

For those judges in competitive districts or circuits that haven't moved yet is the logic essentially that these prime candidates who are going to be snapped up quickly aren't gonna pick me over Oetken/Boasberg/Srinivasan/etc... so there is nothing to be gained by rushing thus I might as well take the time to look through apps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I feel you. I'm currently at a district court seeking a court of appeals clerkship. I've read the letter that my judge is sending on my behalf, and it is absolutely glowing. I thought for sure I'd get some traction somewhere with that, but I haven't even heard from "non-prestigious" judges. It's really disheartening and makes me wonder what else there is I can realistically do

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I feel you. I'm currently at a district court seeking a court of appeals clerkship. I've read the letter that my judge is sending on my behalf, and it is absolutely glowing. I thought for sure I'd get some traction somewhere with that, but I haven't even heard from "non-prestigious" judges. It's really disheartening and makes me wonder what else there is I can realistically do
I'm with you man, I know this process is super super idiosyncratic but like, at a point, it makes me wonder if all the hard work and shit was worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm with you man, I know this process is super super idiosyncratic but like, at a point, it makes me wonder if all the hard work and shit was worth it.
But it's not over yet though right? Or are those saying that just trying to cope? (Genuinely have no idea).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But it's not over yet though right? Or are those saying that just trying to cope? (Genuinely have no idea).
My experience in previous cycles is that the most judges on the plan schedule their interviews and/or extend their offers within the first week. After that, it's kind of just a trickle and the occasional bit of off-plan movement that's to be expected from judges who don't post their openings during the normal time period. So I wouldn't say "just trying to cope" necessarily, but I do feel like it's pretty much curtains for any apps that have already been sent. You can always send more assuming some of the more off-plan judges are amenable to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My experience in previous cycles is that the most judges on the plan schedule their interviews and/or extend their offers within the first week. After that, it's kind of just a trickle and the occasional bit of off-plan movement that's to be expected from judges who don't post their openings during the normal time period. So I wouldn't say "just trying to cope" necessarily, but I do feel like it's pretty much curtains for any apps that have already been sent. You can always send more assuming some of the more off-plan judges are amenable to you.
Most high-profile judges move in the first week, but most judges are not high-profile, and I even know of a significant feeder who doesn’t plan to hire this month. My clerkship office (HYSC) said that last year, a majority of its clerks were hired after June.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:23 am
For those judges in competitive districts or circuits that haven't moved yet is the logic essentially that these prime candidates who are going to be snapped up quickly aren't gonna pick me over Oetken/Boasberg/Srinivasan/etc... so there is nothing to be gained by rushing thus I might as well take the time to look through apps.
Lots of reasons. Some just don’t care that much about having the top 5% at HYSC—after all, there’s not going to be a real difference in work product for them vs their top 15% peers. Or they care a lot about local ties and hire heavily from their flagship state school. Or they’re just really busy. On the other hand, some judges are so competitive that they really only hire on referral from other judges, so they let other judges do their screening for them in June and hire later in the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

man i hope this isnt true, fuck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

man i hope this isnt true, fuck
It's not true if you're aiming at non semi and feeder judges who definitely full by now or well on their way. Just looking at the HLS interview private thread, there's a lot of SDNY/EDNY judges, for example, who have not moved (or at least an HLS kid didn't get an interview, which is unlikely). I'm sure other districts and circuit judges are the same, particularly seniors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:26 am

Can someone with access to one of those lists post who's moved on D.Mass/EDPA/EDNY? I feel like it couldn't hurt

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:26 am
Can someone with access to one of those lists post who's moved on D.Mass/EDPA/EDNY? I feel like it couldn't hurt
On this, has Sorokin on D. Mass. moved? I heard last year he interviewed in the first week, so I'm assuming he did so as well this year - confirmation would be nice though, just so I can move on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:26 am
Saylor

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:31 pm

Do judges not really move over the weekends and on holidays?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:31 pm
Judges can do whatever they want lol but, foe what it's worth, had an interview thursday and was told don't expect to hear anything until Tuesday earliest bc of holidy weekend

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:31 pm
Judges can do whatever they want lol but, foe what it's worth, had an interview thursday and was told don't expect to hear anything until Tuesday earliest bc of holidy weekend
Yeah, if they didn’t want to move as soon as possible last week they’re not likely to move on a weekend/holiday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:19 pm

Question about hiring. I am one of those magna/magna equivalent T6ers who applied broadly on Circuits and narrowly on districts (SDNY/EDNY/DDC/CDCA) and have not heard anything. OSCAR full at 100. I was wondering if I should withdraw from those more competitive judges and make room to add applications to the EDPA, EDVA, DMD, DNJ, DCN, DMA, etc... But, before I do this I have two questions. One, am I correct to assume competitive judges are out of the equation and thus should lower my expectations? And two, if I applied on OSCAR now to these other districts would my application actually get looked at, or are they not going to check OSCAR and have probably finished their interview invites.

I sent an email asking this to my clerkship office and they sent a short, curt response back that they do not believe, with a few exceptions (who they unhelpfully did not reveal) even the most competitive judges are done hiring, which is not very helpful to me as like yeah they're not done hiring but they have very little if any interviews left I would assume. Thus, I come to TLS for the hard truth in my situation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:19 pm
Question about hiring. I am one of those magna/magna equivalent T6ers who applied broadly on Circuits and narrowly on districts (SDNY/EDNY/DDC/CDCA) and have not heard anything. OSCAR full at 100. I was wondering if I should withdraw from those more competitive judges and make room to add applications to the EDPA, EDVA, DMD, DNJ, DCN, DMA, etc... But, before I do this I have two questions. One, am I correct to assume competitive judges are out of the equation and thus should lower my expectations? And two, if I applied on OSCAR now to these other districts would my application actually get looked at, or are they not going to check OSCAR and have probably finished their interview invites.

I sent an email asking this to my clerkship office and they sent a short, curt response back that they do not believe, with a few exceptions (who they unhelpfully did not reveal) even the most competitive judges are done hiring, which is not very helpful to me as like yeah they're not done hiring but they have very little if any interviews left I would assume. Thus, I come to TLS for the hard truth in my situation.
Keep an eye out for new postings as those obviously will not have started interviewing. At this point I would probably withdraw from Sri et al. (or whatever said "competitive judges" are) and throw those apps into any remaining less competitive circuit judges. Collective wisdom on TLS, to which I have no superior knowledge of, seems to suggest the cycle is over for most judges, but hey there is always a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:51 am

Hamilton full

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:51 am
Hamilton full
I got the rejection email, but is he actually full? OSCAR still lists the position as available.

Not that it matters for me, just curious.

One-Day-Later Edit: Confirmed full on OSCAR. Nice that he emailed first though.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:03 pm

I appreciate Hamilton actually emailing rejections. Gives some nice finality.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”