COA Clerk worried Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA Clerk worried

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:26 pm

I know that everything is a bit off this year given COVID's disruption to firms' hiring schedules, but I thought that a COA clerk should be in pretty good shape right around this time. Not for a dream job necessarily, but for something pretty good (e.g., something within AmLaw 200). I have been coming up empty just about everywhere I look. Is it me or are other COA clerks experiencing the same? Any particularly good places to look?

Anonymous User

Re: COA Clerk worried

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:39 pm

I’m in the same boat as you. CCN graduate, not near top of class but good enough grades to get a COA clerkship in a flyover state in the ninth; worked at law firms both summers and I like to think I’m an okay interviewer. Nonetheless, have gotten flat out rejections everywhere throughout NYC from both boutique firms, and generic law firms known for recruiting clerks (e.g., Covington, MoFo, Jenner, Jones Day, etc.). Had only one interview and that didn’t pan out. All I can say is: it’s not you, and to keep on trekking on.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:49 pm

My experience so far having come off a clerkship before and coming off one again (which I foolishly got before starting the first one) now is the postclerkship hiring market is not good. Your school lied/was working off old information. This is partly because litigation is slowing down in big firms while transactional is making buko bucks and partly because I think clerkships aren’t (perhaps never were) viewed as the legal royalty thing everyone in law school seems to think they are. A clerkship will open up a top flight boutique to some lucky few but otherwise you’re pretty much better off staying at a big firm.

Plus side? I think your best shot at getting hired will be 3-6 months out from the clerkship ending, not now. The market is going to get better, courts will open, and firms will be hiring for specific spots to fill an opening rather than on the theory that they’ll need a litigator in September. So don’t panic yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:49 pm
My experience so far having come off a clerkship before and coming off one again (which I foolishly got before starting the first one) now is the postclerkship hiring market is not good. Your school lied/was working off old information. This is partly because litigation is slowing down in big firms while transactional is making buko bucks and partly because I think clerkships aren’t (perhaps never were) viewed as the legal royalty thing everyone in law school seems to think they are. A clerkship will open up a top flight boutique to some lucky few but otherwise you’re pretty much better off staying at a big firm.

Plus side? I think your best shot at getting hired will be 3-6 months out from the clerkship ending, not now. The market is going to get better, courts will open, and firms will be hiring for specific spots to fill an opening rather than on the theory that they’ll need a litigator in September. So don’t panic yet.
My experience is the same as this. Best advice I can give is psychological: it is likely not you personally, so don't get too down. I also suspect (not based on much but my own (often faulty) intuition) that the post-clerkship market might be shifting toward an April-May-June or even later cycle for the next few years. I know that if I were in charge of hiring, I wouldn't see much upside in locking in clerks for September or October starts in January or February given the events of last year, knowing that an event (whether a pandemic or something else) could occur in the interim and kill demand.

So yes, I would plan on looking for specific openings for litigators in the summer or early fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:48 pm

In the NY and DC markets, heard from sources inside big law firms that they're really only starting to review shortly, now that they're wrapping up 2L recruiting. (With the exception of Kirkland, which has been actively reviewing since the fall.) I applied to top boutiques and big law firms, and the former have been moving but the latter is only starting to trickle in. Of course, covid has probably impacted jobs. But as other posters have said, it seems like big law clerk recruiting is simply shifted back, and you'll see more activity soon. You're a desirable candidate. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 am

Are you clerking straight out of law school or straight from another clerkship? I have had some luck over the last month or so (also a COA clerk) and have found the firms I interviewed with (NY boutique types) are more interested in the fact that I put in a few years at a firm before clerking than in my clerkship. I might be a fluke but it might also be that firms are looking for slightly more experienced clerks/laterals this year.

I also think Biglaw is not following the usual schedule this year, maybe because they did OCI in January and are still building their summer classes, so if that's what you want the action may be later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:51 pm

I got discouraged reading this so I felt the need to post. I currently live in the 6th Circuit, where I clerked for a district court. After that, I worked a couple years for a respectable firm in the area and just recently secured a COA clerkship on the 7th Circuit. My district court clerkship ended in the middle of the pandemic when nobody was hiring. I had several offers and I started interviewing late. I cannot speak to post COA options because I am not there yet. But I have to say that this thread in now way represents the general market for clerks. I don’t want to be rude or hurt anyone’s feelings but all of our experiences will differ. What I can say as a general rule is this: networking matters. If you think jobs are going to fall into your lap, you might end up without one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:51 pm
I got discouraged reading this so I felt the need to post. I currently live in the 6th Circuit, where I clerked for a district court. After that, I worked a couple years for a respectable firm in the area and just recently secured a COA clerkship on the 7th Circuit. My district court clerkship ended in the middle of the pandemic when nobody was hiring. I had several offers and I started interviewing late. I cannot speak to post COA options because I am not there yet. But I have to say that this thread in now way represents the general market for clerks. I don’t want to be rude or hurt anyone’s feelings but all of our experiences will differ. What I can say as a general rule is this: networking matters. If you think jobs are going to fall into your lap, you might end up without one.
This is irrelevant and unhelpful. I interviewed during COVID and also had multiple firm offers without a clerkship. I also interviewed after a clerkship last year and though I took the government route, all my friends at different levels of clerkships had multiple firm offers. This year, clerking friends from that same group, are having an absolute shit time. The ONLY difference is this market. It is undoubtedly worse than COVID for anyone searching for a firm job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:51 pm
This is irrelevant and unhelpful. I interviewed during COVID and also had multiple firm offers without a clerkship. I also interviewed after a clerkship last year and though I took the government route, all my friends at different levels of clerkships had multiple firm offers. This year, clerking friends from that same group, are having an absolute shit time. The ONLY difference is this market. It is undoubtedly worse than COVID for anyone searching for a firm job.
The anecdotes aren’t really helpful one way or another. Personally all of the clerks I know had no shortage of post-clerkship offers this year. (Granted most of them also had 2L and/or postgrad biglaw and were looking to move, not people with no biglaw background, which is likely a different market.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:39 pm
I’m in the same boat as you. CCN graduate, not near top of class but good enough grades to get a COA clerkship in a flyover state in the ninth; worked at law firms both summers and I like to think I’m an okay interviewer. Nonetheless, have gotten flat out rejections everywhere throughout NYC from both boutique firms, and generic law firms known for recruiting clerks (e.g., Covington, MoFo, Jenner, Jones Day, etc.). Had only one interview and that didn’t pan out. All I can say is: it’s not you, and to keep on trekking on.
CCN, 9th Circuit, and you're struggling? I'm a 2L about to apply on plan and this is literally making me wonder if I should even do this at all.

I thought at the very least, you could count on the firm you do your 2L summer associateship with to take you back assuming you had good relationships there/were regarded well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
CCN, 9th Circuit, and you're struggling? I'm a 2L about to apply on plan and this is literally making me wonder if I should even do this at all.

I thought at the very least, you could count on the firm you do your 2L summer associateship with to take you back assuming you had good relationships there/were regarded well?
Also CCN and COA clerk. I had a really hard time with NYC (though I got a couple interviews). Ended up accepting offer in DC. Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, 2L firms usually hire their clerks back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:40 pm

These threads are bumming me out too. I am wrapping up a district court clerkship and have COA starting this fall. I’m an odd candidate (low ranked school, but perfect grades/all the other accolades), and I’m trying to get the hell out of the market that I’m from. Will things be easier next year? When do I need to be targeted with networking? I’ve had a few chances to pass along my resume, but is it far too early to have an impact?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:40 pm
These threads are bumming me out too. I am wrapping up a district court clerkship and have COA starting this fall. I’m an odd candidate (low ranked school, but perfect grades/all the other accolades), and I’m trying to get the hell out of the market that I’m from. Will things be easier next year? When do I need to be targeted with networking? I’ve had a few chances to pass along my resume, but is it far too early to have an impact?
I am a low ranked, high grades COA clerk, and I was also trying to escape my local market. This year was a nightmare. I can't speak to next year obviously, but all of my colleagues had connections from their fancy law schools, and I barely made it out of this year with a job in my target market, period. Clerking can be a way to overcome a low-ranked school, but when the market gets tough, it often doesn't count for much when your competition went to a more impressive (or local) school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I am a low ranked, high grades COA clerk, and I was also trying to escape my local market. This year was a nightmare. I can't speak to next year obviously, but all of my colleagues had connections from their fancy law schools, and I barely made it out of this year with a job in my target market, period. Clerking can be a way to overcome a low-ranked school, but when the market gets tough, it often doesn't count for much when your competition went to a more impressive (or local) school.
At least you got out, but it sounds like it wasn’t easy. Did you only focus on one market? I’m applying pretty broadly, so would that help my chances in a tough market (although I’ve heard it’ll get better next year)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
At least you got out, but it sounds like it wasn’t easy. Did you only focus on one market? I’m applying pretty broadly, so would that help my chances in a tough market (although I’ve heard it’ll get better next year)?
I did just focus on one market, but it was quite a large market. However, your odds would be better if you weren't tied down geographically, yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I did just focus on one market, but it was quite a large market. However, your odds would be better if you weren't tied down geographically, yes.
That’s good to know. Thanks! When did you start networking/cold emailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That’s good to know. Thanks! When did you start networking/cold emailing?
I started networking in May/June of last year and contacted like 20 firms and had chats with associates/partners at the firm. 0% turned into an interview when it came time to apply, so perhaps your approach will work better

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”