2022-2023 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

2022-2023 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:56 pm

I think it's time for a new thread. OSCAR opens for 2Ls tomorrow and the 2021-22 cycle is essentially done except for new Biden appointees. I'm an incoming federal clerk and happy to give advice to anyone starting to plan their cycle. (My best piece of advice: This forum is an incredibly valuable window of transparency in a very opaque process. And apply as broadly as possible.)

Anonymous User

Re: 2022-2023 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:25 am

Officially entering my second cycle of applications. Slightly above median at CCN with moot court but no journal, so this...will probably not be my last cycle. Sigh. At least I like the firm I'm headed to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:32 am

2L here applying! How important are ties for clerkships? (District court Article III)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:32 am
2L here applying! How important are ties for clerkships? (District court Article III)
Depends on the judge and court, like everything with clerkships, but in general, they are quite important for district courts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:57 am

What's people's sense for COA availability for 2022-23. I'm sure the bigger name judges and maybe some others in larger cities have filled spots, but surely there must be some left? Is it likely that we will see more spots on Oscar in the next few weeks/months, and then maybe with potential Biden appointees as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:57 am
What's people's sense for COA availability for 2022-23. I'm sure the bigger name judges and maybe some others in larger cities have filled spots, but surely there must be some left? Is it likely that we will see more spots on Oscar in the next few weeks/months, and then maybe with potential Biden appointees as well?
Yes, the strong majority of on-plan federal appellate judges generally hire one year in advance. CA2 and feeders are generally exceptions. I feel like the general trend is to hire further out, though. And most Fed Soc judges who take on-plan apps will be hiring for 2023-24.

ainterone

New

Post by ainterone » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Many of my target D. Cts. have applications for 2022-2023 opening up this month. The hiring plan says that 2Ls won't be considered until June 15th, but what about current 3Ls? In general, do district judges consider 3L applicants this winter/spring, even if they aren't accepting 2L applications yet? Does applying early give 3Ls an advantage, or do judges just wait for all of the applications to pile up before they even look at them? I've already sent out some applications, so I'm just wondering when the earliest to expect interviews/decisions is after applications open up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks for kicking this off. Second cycle for me, roughly top 10% at CCN with LR. I applied very broadly to COAs and to some of the more competitive (but not exclusively the most competitive) DCs but only got one interview last cycle. Probably sent out at least 250 apps, and I've continued to apply over the fall and winter. Is it time to aim my sights lower?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:46 pm
Thanks for kicking this off. Second cycle for me, roughly top 10% at CCN with LR. I applied very broadly to COAs and to some of the more competitive (but not exclusively the most competitive) DCs but only got one interview last cycle. Probably sent out at least 250 apps, and I've continued to apply over the fall and winter. Is it time to aim my sights lower?
Probably - but take a look at what your recommenders have been doing on your behalf as well. You have to strive to get your app pulled off the pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:46 pm
Similar situation, top 5% at CCN with LR + published, going into my second cycle. Only applied to about 50-60 judges, almost all in very competitive courts/desirable locations, got 3 interviews and only 1 offer that I had to decline for extenuating reasons I won't get into. All I can say other than keep trucking and try to expand your search is to talk to your recommenders and make some asks. In my experience, if you're one of the last few competitive applicants in your class without a clerkship, they'll try pretty hard to advocate for you. It hasn't paid off for me yet, but I've kept in constant contact with my recommenders and I've been surprised by the judges they offered to call on my behalf at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:54 pm

Maybe ask a friend who's currently or formerly clerking to look over your app for advice or mistakes as well. Y'all's problem is obviously not grades, it's something with the app, recs, or (most probably) too limited of an app strategy. Unless you have hard geography constraints, or e.g. you're completely unwilling to clerk for conservatives (and even then), you should be using close to all 100 OSCAR slots (obviously not an issue for the 250 app poster! but just general advice).

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:31 pm

ainterone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:02 pm
Many of my target D. Cts. have applications for 2022-2023 opening up this month. The hiring plan says that 2Ls won't be considered until June 15th, but what about current 3Ls? In general, do district judges consider 3L applicants this winter/spring, even if they aren't accepting 2L applications yet? Does applying early give 3Ls an advantage, or do judges just wait for all of the applications to pile up before they even look at them? I've already sent out some applications, so I'm just wondering when the earliest to expect interviews/decisions is after applications open up.
It depends on the judge, but there's no harm in applying early. You're past the OSCAR date for your date last year, so you can and should apply now. A lot of judges will wait until June to start looking at applications so they can look at all applications at the same time, but some will start early. Some will fill up their roster before OSCAR even opens; some will try to hire one or two clerks who will at the time of clerking have some experience.

I know of some judges that are interviewing in the next couple of months. I think there will be some February/March interviews, then kind of a lull before OSCAR opens in June.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:40 pm

namefromplace wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:31 pm
ainterone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:02 pm
It depends on the judge, but there's no harm in applying early. You're past the OSCAR date for your date last year, so you can and should apply now. A lot of judges will wait until June to start looking at applications so they can look at all applications at the same time, but some will start early. Some will fill up their roster before OSCAR even opens; some will try to hire one or two clerks who will at the time of clerking have some experience.

I know of some judges that are interviewing in the next couple of months. I think there will be some February/March interviews, then kind of a lull before OSCAR opens in June.
This. Also there are some on-plan judges who require work experience and fill with 3Ls/alumni before the plan day--Jane Kelly and Milan Smith did last year I think for example.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 pm

We've got the first definitive report of a Biden nominee: Regina Rodriguez of WilmerHale has been recommended by Colorado's senators for a seat on the District of Colorado.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:07 pm

If you're interested in off-plan judges that don't require 2 years of grades for 2022, you should be applying now, many/most are full or close to it and likely will be full by the plan. E.g. I see Michael Park has one 2022 slot left on OSCAR, if you're interested, you should apply by email now.

Also, it appears from OSCAR that some liberal judges may have abandoned the plan (i.e. they don't affirmatively say they're following it, they take email/paper apps, and they don't say they require 2 years of grades). I'm looking at Lohier, Motz, and Oetken. Of course, this could be a false alarm based on sloppy writing of OSCAR posts, but if it's real, it's a big deal.

purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Post by purplegoldtornado » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:07 pm
If you're interested in off-plan judges that don't require 2 years of grades for 2022, you should be applying now, many/most are full or close to it and likely will be full by the plan. E.g. I see Michael Park has one 2022 slot left on OSCAR, if you're interested, you should apply by email now.
Could you please PM me and tell me more about this? I am a 2L and would like to know more about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 pm

purplegoldtornado wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Could you please PM me and tell me more about this? I am a 2L and would like to know more about this.
I have no inside info, but I applied for some such judges last year (unsuccessfully, but I got interviews and they were definitely hiring). Just look at OSCAR and look for postings that (a) are for 2022-23, (b) require one or an unspecified number of years of grades, and (c) take email or snail mail apps. That combination is usually a telltale sign of an off-plan judge, especially if they're also a Republican appointee, and you can find it with OSCAR filters if you tinker around a bit.

Some COA judges I think are in this category: Bibas, Colloton, Grasz, Jones, Kobes, Niemeyer, Park, Phipps, Sykes, Richardson. Some of these might be illusory and they just forgot to take down the OSCAR posting (e.g. I'm skeptical about Richardson, who I believe is usually very fast), but some are certainly real (e.g. Park just reposted his in January).

These judges are generally relatively slow-hiring off-plan judges. Most off-plan judges hired for 2022-23 last summer and will hire for 2023-24 this summer. Many or most off-plan judges also already have 2023-24 posts up so you could apply to them with 1.5 years of grades as well (e.g. Ikuta and Stras).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm

purplegoldtornado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Park has never been on-plan, but I think he's filled most of his clerk spots with double-clerks, so I wouldn't necessarily rush to apply, as he seems to like experience.

There are liberal judges that have hired clerks off-plan too, but I don't know how you would be able to tell without a connection in chambers.

purplegoldtornado

Bronze

Post by purplegoldtornado » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 pm
purplegoldtornado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have no inside info, but I applied for some such judges last year (unsuccessfully, but I got interviews and they were definitely hiring). Just look at OSCAR and look for postings that (a) are for 2022-23, (b) require one or an unspecified number of years of grades, and (c) take email or snail mail apps. That combination is usually a telltale sign of an off-plan judge, especially if they're also a Republican appointee, and you can find it with OSCAR filters if you tinker around a bit.

Some COA judges I think are in this category: Bibas, Colloton, Grasz, Jones, Kobes, Niemeyer, Park, Phipps, Sykes, Richardson. Some of these might be illusory and they just forgot to take down the OSCAR posting (e.g. I'm skeptical about Richardson, who I believe is usually very fast), but some are certainly real (e.g. Park just reposted his in January).

These judges are generally relatively slow-hiring off-plan judges. Most off-plan judges hired for 2022-23 last summer and will hire for 2023-24 this summer. Many or most off-plan judges also already have 2023-24 posts up so you could apply to them with 1.5 years of grades as well (e.g. Ikuta and Stras).
Thanks! I had one person tell me that it is best to snail-mail all applications, without going through Oscar. Do you recommend this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:03 pm

purplegoldtornado wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 pm
purplegoldtornado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! I had one person tell me that it is best to snail-mail all applications, without going through Oscar. Do you recommend this?
Good god, no, that's some of the worst clerkship app advice I've ever heard. Aside from the postage cost, and that most judges refuse to take paper apps nowadays, many judges can't read them atm due to Covid problems. If you're a 2L, you can't submit until June with OSCAR, so use paper or email for now (whatever the judge says to use on OSCAR). But once OSCAR opens use it. Some judges aren't active on OSCAR, especially seniors, and for them you usually need to use paper, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm
purplegoldtornado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Park has never been on-plan, but I think he's filled most of his clerk spots with double-clerks, so I wouldn't necessarily rush to apply, as he seems to like experience.

There are liberal judges that have hired clerks off-plan too, but I don't know how you would be able to tell without a connection in chambers.
Yeah Park seems to strongly prefer former clerks (circuit or SD/EDNY) and hires double-clerks on the Plan, I wouldn't count on clerking for him your first year out of law school. I also know he's set up clerks he's hired without a prior clerkship secured with compatible district judges like John Cronan and Rachel Kovner for the year preceding him.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm
purplegoldtornado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah Park seems to strongly prefer former clerks (circuit or SD/EDNY) and hires double-clerks on the Plan, I wouldn't count on clerking for him your first year out of law school. I also know he's set up clerks he's hired without a prior clerkship secured with compatible district judges like John Cronan and Rachel Kovner for the year preceding him.
I know of two Cronan/Park double clerks, one Kent at Columbia, one K&E at Chicago, which fits with their top 5% requirements on OSCAR and Park's apparent preference for experience.

Humanusername

New

Post by Humanusername » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Does anyone have recent intel on Federal Circuit openings? There are several postings on OSCAR that are not tagged as filled. Specifically, I am interested in hearing about Reyna (expired), Prost, and Moore.

ainterone

New

Post by ainterone » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Anyone hearing about interviews/offers for district/appellate clerkships in the 1st circuit yet? Looks likes applications are starting to open up around New England.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Anyone heard anything from really any court of appeals judge recently? Pretty sure I’ve applied to almost every one of them who sounds like they might review applications before June 15 of this year (on OSCAR). Was just curious if any of them had started to move - interviews or offers or anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”