HYS stats for DE Chancery? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

HYS stats for DE Chancery?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:12 pm

2L at HYS + LR. Grades are a mixed bag of P's and H's (slightly more H's than P's). Wondering what stats people usually have for DE Chancery, and whether the boat has sailed without me. Are certain judges more grade-sensitive than others? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: HYS stats for DE Chancery?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm

The volume of HYS applications is typically low. As a result, HYS applicants tend to stand out, even if they are not at the top of their class. I would imagine that, unless it is an outlier year and DE chancery is unexpectedly flooded with HYS applicants, you will receive several interview opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:23 am

In my understanding, because DE Chancery writes more than most other courts, they place quite a bit of weight on the writing sample. Grade-wise, you appear to be in a better spot than the non-HYS people I know who have gotten DE Chancery clerkships, but they also had professor connections pass along their resumes to their judges and heavily review their writing samples, which demonstrated an understanding of corporate law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:45 am

Can anyone comment on CCNP stats for Delaware Chancery? Thanks in advance!

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:44 am

folks i know from Y/S at DE chancery were top ~15% with LR. not sure that's necessary tho

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:09 pm

One datapoint, but my friend got DE chancery as top 40%-ish at CCN.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:09 pm
One datapoint, but my friend got DE chancery as top 40%-ish at CCN.

Ooh, appreciate this datapoint! A nice break from people saying DE Chancery clerks are routinely top 15% at CCN. Gives me some hope lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:41 am

I knew someone at my lower T14 who didn't have great grades (probably median-ish) who ended up doing a chancery clerkship after a couple years at one of the big Delaware firms. The bar is small and all of the partners and judges know each other, so that's another route that's very doable if your grades aren't the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:58 pm

Columbia anon familiar with DE clerkship market. The people I know went to DE chancery/supreme were either 1.) WLRK-types or 2.) relationship placements through Eric Talley, Jeff Gordon or DE-practicing adjuncts (IIRC the WLRK litigators who taught the DE class placed a few people.)

Didn't seem grades-limited to me; if you were 1.) sincerely interested and 2.) had a relationship, you seemed pretty likely to get it. I've been told that some basic knowledge of M&A / CorpFin helps you stand out, along with a clear understanding of what DE chancery does on a logistical level (i.e. expedited practice).

Limitation was far more interest: DE chancery (to my understanding) is not an appealing clerkship unless you are doing DE-specific M&A lit or want to be at a DE shop.

Agree with anon above saying DE is a very small bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”