Is taking Fed Courts needed if planning to apply after working a few years in NY big law? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LampshadeMoose

New

Is taking Fed Courts needed if planning to apply after working a few years in NY big law?

Post by LampshadeMoose » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 pm

Is it still essential for a 3L to take fed courts if planning to apply to clerkships after working for a few years?

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Is taking Fed Courts needed if planning to apply after working a few years in NY big law?

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:00 pm

LampshadeMoose wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 pm
Is it still essential for a 3L to take fed courts if planning to apply to clerkships after working for a few years?
Yes.

nixy

Gold

Re: Is taking Fed Courts needed if planning to apply after working a few years in NY big law?

Post by nixy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:14 pm

Eh, I don't know if it's essential. I didn't have it on my transcript (applied after graduating) and I know others who haven't. There are definitely judges who look for it, though, so you will certainly eliminate yourself from consideration with those judges. No way of knowing how many judges that is, but it's a competitive enough process, you should probably avoid giving a judge a reason to eliminate you if you can, but it depends why you're hesitating on taking it. If you just don't want to, you should probably suck it up. If it's because it conflicts with other things that would important to you for other reasons, I think it's a closer call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:46 pm

LampshadeMoose wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 pm
I'm going to a COA and I never took Fed Courts. That being said, there are a lot of judges who look for it. I didn't apply to any judges who specified Fed Courts as a requirement.

If you're still in school, I would definitely plan to take Fed Courts. The only reason I didn't take Fed Courts was because it wasn't offered at my school for three semesters in a row due to faculty sabbaticals.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:10 pm

I think it's important to have a good answer to the question "Why did you not take Fed Courts?" Not every judge cares about it, but enough do that if you want to have the best options and outcomes possible you should have an explanation.

Granted, I think "In law school I thought that [x course] seemed more interesting, but upon entering private practice I realized how useful that course would have been. I managed to learn things on the fly, but I wish I would have had that doctrinal base to start with" would be a pretty OK answer if you're asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 pm

Similar question: How big of an application blemish is taking Fed Courts optional P/F? Do judges only care that you have taken it, or will they hold it against you if you take it for no grade?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 pm
Similar question: How big of an application blemish is taking Fed Courts optional P/F? Do judges only care that you have taken it, or will they hold it against you if you take it for no grade?
Most of the people with district or COA clerkships at my T25 took it P/F. There are probably a few judges who are going to want to see a grade, but it's more important to just know the subject material.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”