Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Texas Court of Criminal Appeals

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:54 pm

There's a fair amount of good info on this forum about SCOTX, but not too much about Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Is anyone willing to share knowledge re: competitiveness and timeline of applications, judges who are particularly worth seeking out or avoiding, how the court is viewed in comparison to SCOTX? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Texas Court of Criminal Appeals

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 am

I don't have much information, but my perception is that the credentials one needs for these clerkships is significantly less than SCOTX on average. I also don't think big law employers give bonuses for this court since it is all criminal work. It is just seen as less valuable, though I am sure it is a great experience.

I have also heard that each judge hires only one law clerk, rather than two at SCOTX. There is a podcast called the Texas Appellate Law Podcast that has an episode with somebody who clerked at both courts. I think he mentioned the CCA has a huge number of shared staff attorneys, so each judge has fewer clerks.

CCA also doesn't seem to be connected to federal clerkships like SCOTX can be either. Many SCOTX clerks already clerked at the federal level or are going to a federal clerkship after.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”