Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am

What's usually the schedule for Quinn/Susman? Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 am
Are you all using recruiters or applying directly through firm websites? Any thoughts on what's preferred? I've definitely seen at least one firm say on their website they won't be looking at apps sent through recruiters, but that may be isolated.
You may be forfeiting a clerkship bonus by going through a recruiter. Firms don't generally want to pay both the recruiter for their services and the applicant for a clerkship bonus. YMMV -- that's just what I've heard.

More to the point though, I successfully wrapped up my application cycle in November without a recruiter and cancelled some other first-round and CB interviews. I really don't think you need to use one -- even setting aside the above.
did you end up in biglaw or boutique? also which market?
Previous anon — I went with a biglaw shop in a secondary market (think Charlotte, Denver, etc.). The firm gave a substantially above-market clerkship bonus, but otherwise has pretty standard comp.
What’s “substantially above-market” for a clerkship bonus if you don’t mind me asking? I’m familiar with someone who nabbed $65k for a single clerkship. Over, under?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am
Not sure about Quinn but at Susman at least there are two rounds of interviews. Seems like at least some Susman offices have been moving on first rounds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:49 pm

What’s “substantially above-market” for a clerkship bonus if you don’t mind me asking? I’m familiar with someone who nabbed $65k for a single clerkship. Over, under?
Over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Not sure about Quinn but at Susman at least there are two rounds of interviews. Seems like at least some Susman offices have been moving on first rounds.
Thank you! Have you heard anything about Susman NYC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am

Hello, current bankruptcy clerk here. Any movement in NY for bankruptcy positions (Big law)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thank you! Have you heard anything about Susman NYC?
Previous anon. Friend was invited to do a first round interview there already, but I gather that they move slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:39 pm

How long does it typically take for firms to get back to you after emailing them your materials, if at all?/do they send rejection emails? I sent a few apps in (to DC firms) around the new year and have not received any replies, so I'm wondering if this is normal or if it means I've been rejected

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:47 pm

My DC firm is pretty swamped with summer hiring and won't be looking at post-clerkship applicants for a couple weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Current clerk who did not do OCI, struck out on PI fellowships and is now starting to look for firms. A bunch of the firms I have been looking at have a a clear application process for summer associates, and a list of open positions for non-summer associate positions but those are only for laterals. So there seems to be a gap for recent graduates/clerks and I can't figure out where to send my information. I could not find an email for a hiring contact on their websites and was wondering where exactly you guys are sending your emails to. Do you just google "hiring partner X firm"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:08 pm
Current clerk who did not do OCI, struck out on PI fellowships and is now starting to look for firms. A bunch of the firms I have been looking at have a a clear application process for summer associates, and a list of open positions for non-summer associate positions but those are only for laterals. So there seems to be a gap for recent graduates/clerks and I can't figure out where to send my information. I could not find an email for a hiring contact on their websites and was wondering where exactly you guys are sending your emails to. Do you just google "hiring partner X firm"?
I've been sending applications to the recruiting contacts, instead of the hiring partners. I've found these contacts either on firm websites, on NALP, or on Vault. They typically responded within a couple of days with the standard "we've received you application" email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I've been sending applications to the recruiting contacts, instead of the hiring partners. I've found these contacts either on firm websites, on NALP, or on Vault. They typically responded within a couple of days with the standard "we've received you application" email.
Thank you! NALP and Vault for finding contacts were what I was missing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry about the rookie question here, but for firms with recruiting portals, do you guys just submit apps there or email the hiring contact instead?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry about the rookie question here, but for firms with recruiting portals, do you guys just submit apps there or email the hiring contact instead?
I would use the portal. I did reach out to a recruiter at one firm, and was directed to their portal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I would use the portal. I did reach out to a recruiter at one firm, and was directed to their portal.
Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 pm

Seems like clerkship hiring is normally farther along by now... do we think the peak will be february?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 pm

My clerkship ends this fall and I had hoped/planned to return to the firm where I summered as a 2L (offer accepted at end of 2L summer and they knew that I had a two-year clerkship). Should I be concerned that I have not heard from the firm, yet? How long would you wait before applying to other firms?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 pm
My clerkship ends this fall and I had hoped/planned to return to the firm where I summered as a 2L (offer accepted at end of 2L summer and they knew that I had a two-year clerkship). Should I be concerned that I have not heard from the firm, yet? How long would you wait before applying to other firms?
I would reach out to a partner or someone you worked with. It's been like three years since you summered there, and law firms are busy. You returning might not be front-of-mind for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Any movement from smaller firms in DC, like Quinn, Kellogg, Wilkinson Stekloff, Mololamken?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:04 pm

I submitted apps via email to some firms and haven't got any receipt notice/acknowledgment for days... Is this normal??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:34 pm
Any movement from smaller firms in DC, like Quinn, Kellogg, Wilkinson Stekloff, Mololamken?
I have heard of movement from Kellogg and Wilkinson.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 am

Any movement at the Houston and Dallas boutique lit firms? Curious as to Beck Redden, Lynn Pinker, AZA, Yetter Coleman, SKV, Reynolds Frizzell, Hicks Thomas, MehaffyWeber, Chamberlain Hdlicka etc. Does anyone know the salary structure/clerkship bonuses for these firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:16 am

I left my firm (NY) as an associate to clerk and recently inquired about returning. I was told to reach out around the summer as they will have a better idea of staffing needs then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm

Anonymous user above -- I too have submitted applications, both via e-mail and portal, and have heard virtually nothing save for a few confirmations of receipt. I suspect it's just a late-hiring year, although that may be cavalier of me to assume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm
Anonymous user above -- I too have submitted applications, both via e-mail and portal, and have heard virtually nothing save for a few confirmations of receipt. I suspect it's just a late-hiring year, although that may be cavalier of me to assume.
I believe I’m the Anon you’re replying to. I have friends who have interviewed with and have offers from firms in NY. Much more variance in firms’ approaches this cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”