2022-2023 COA Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

2022-2023 COA

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:43 am

I am starting this forum to discuss specifically 2022-2023 Court of Appeals positions I know dozens of judges have already hired while dozens others haven’t. Obviously Oscar provides some information, but I envision this forum discussing: (1) information outside of public knowledge regarding interviewing/hiring; and (2) information about judges who are not in (or do not use) Oscar.

Anonymous User

Re: 2022-2023 COA

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:31 pm

This probably isn't of interest to a lot of people on here, but the non-OSCAR judges on Fed Cir are actively hiring for 2022. I don't think any of them have filled all of their spots, but Hughes has at least three.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:31 pm
This probably isn't of interest to a lot of people on here, but the non-OSCAR judges on Fed Cir are actively hiring for 2022. I don't think any of them have filled all of their spots, but Hughes has at least three.
Can you pm me a list of non-OSCAR CAFC judges? From the OSCAR profiles it looks like only O’Malley and Stoll do not accept applications online. I was planning to wait for judges to post 2022 openings on their respective OSCAR pages, but I am starting to worry that I will miss my window to apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
That’s great to hear! Unfortunately I can only do 2023 onwards...

I can confirm Judge Clevenger on the Fed Cir is not looking at 2023 apps yet.

desiperc

New

Post by desiperc » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Can you pm me a list of non-OSCAR CAFC judges? From the OSCAR profiles it looks like only O’Malley and Stoll do not accept applications online. I was planning to wait for judges to post 2022 openings on their respective OSCAR pages, but I am starting to worry that I will miss my window to apply.
Not sure if this is what you were asking, but all the judges on the Federal Circuit webpage have their names on OSCAR.

I'd also be interested in this kind of list if possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I can't PM you if you're anon. The judges that I've seen on OSCAR at various times include Reyna, Chen, Prost, Dyk, Moore, Taranto, and Lourie. But according to my clerkship office, all except Reyna have accepted applications outside of OSCAR, and also rely on professor recommendations. Hughes has an OSCAR profile but per our clerkship office, he hates using it and basically only accepts apps via email. If you're interested in 2022, I would highly recommend submitting email/paper applications ASAP.

The judges I do not recall seeing on OSCAR are: Newman, Mayer, Plager, Clevenger, Schall, Bryson, Linn, and Wallach. Some of them might have OSCAR profiles (too lazy to check) but I don't recall having any active open positions in the last year or so.

Humanusername

New

Post by Humanusername » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:05 am

It was an accidental anon on my part when asking for the pm. Thank you for the info on those judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:23 pm

For the CAFC judges that are hiring, is the best practice to call their chambers and ask? I am just trying to figure out when they are not on OSCAR where you are finding their emails to apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:23 pm
For the CAFC judges that are hiring, is the best practice to call their chambers and ask? I am just trying to figure out when they are not on OSCAR where you are finding their emails to apply.
Unfortunately, it's really hard to call and ask unless your law school has phone numbers on hand. The CAFC website only has the central line phone number and they will never forward you directly to chambers. Frankly, I just sent off paper/email applications ASAP as soon as I had all of my materials in a row. Some email addresses are public with a bit of Googling. Otherwise, you can send paper application to the general courthouse address and it will get forwarded.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 pm

For anyone who has secured a 2022 or 23 COA clerkship, any thoughts on typical timeframe from interview to offer/rejection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 pm
For anyone who has secured a 2022 or 23 COA clerkship, any thoughts on typical timeframe from interview to offer/rejection?
Mine was about two weeks from interview to offer. That's on the longer side for judges hiring on-plan in June but may be more typical for off-plan/alums.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This will differ heavily based on whether you're on-plan or off-plan. Assuming you're off-plan at this point, it varies a lot. I know someone who got an offer from Ikuta in ten minutes and someone who got an offer from Stras in like three or four months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This will differ heavily based on whether you're on-plan or off-plan. Assuming you're off-plan at this point, it varies a lot. I know someone who got an offer from Ikuta in ten minutes and someone who got an offer from Stras in like three or four months.
Interesting to hear about Stras. From what people I know have told me, he generally moves pretty quickly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is going to vary considerably. I applied in June for an August/Sept '22 clerkship. Got the interview in September, and an offer later that same day. But every judge (especially off-plan) is different. Some judges will interview and extend offers on a rolling basis. Other judges will wait until after their application closes and interview several candidates at once. And some judges will wait 1-2 weeks before extending offers; others will offer on the spot or later the same day.

turkeyncheese

New

Post by turkeyncheese » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 am

Hi-- I am just now coming across this and wish I learned of this sooner! My dream is to do a CAFC clerkship for 2022-2023. I have just been waiting for them to pop up on OSCAR to apply. Do you know if Hughes has filled his spots yet? I didn't realize that I should have sent in applications via Paper mail and email to judges who have not opened positions on OSCAR.

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I can't PM you if you're anon. The judges that I've seen on OSCAR at various times include Reyna, Chen, Prost, Dyk, Moore, Taranto, and Lourie. But according to my clerkship office, all except Reyna have accepted applications outside of OSCAR, and also rely on professor recommendations. Hughes has an OSCAR profile but per our clerkship office, he hates using it and basically only accepts apps via email. If you're interested in 2022, I would highly recommend submitting email/paper applications ASAP.

The judges I do not recall seeing on OSCAR are: Newman, Mayer, Plager, Clevenger, Schall, Bryson, Linn, and Wallach. Some of them might have OSCAR profiles (too lazy to check) but I don't recall having any active open positions in the last year or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:39 pm

turkeyncheese wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 am
Hi-- I am just now coming across this and wish I learned of this sooner! My dream is to do a CAFC clerkship for 2022-2023. I have just been waiting for them to pop up on OSCAR to apply. Do you know if Hughes has filled his spots yet? I didn't realize that I should have sent in applications via Paper mail and email to judges who have not opened positions on OSCAR.

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the anon going to CAFC in 2022. I would imagine that OSCAR will populate with 2022 postings in the next couple of months. Per my school's clerkship office, Hughes has filled his 2022 spots already (he interviewed in August/September). I believe Chen, Reyna, Taranto, Dyk, and Prost still have spots for 2022.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Anybody know if Graber and Milan Smith on CA9 have made any moves re: their 2022 applications?

desiperc

New

Post by desiperc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Re bolded, where should we look to find these email addresses? Some of the addresses posted on OSCAR are now defunct.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”