Do I Have a Shot at a COA Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Do I Have a Shot at a COA Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 pm

I'm wrapping up a district court clerkship in the District of Colorado and applying for 2021 COA clerkships. I graduated from a school between 6th and 8th with good grades (but not law review/Latin honors grades). I have great recs and I practiced for two years (litigation) before clerking. I'm applying for firms for this year and don't have anything yet. I'm willing to clerk on any circuit. So, out of curiosity, what are my changes of landing one?

Anonymous User

Re: Do I Have a Shot at a COA Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:34 am

Are you only applying now? It is pretty late in the cycle for COA clerkships; I would imagine most judges have filled their spots for 2021.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:14 am

I started a few months ago (which I acknowledge is still not ideal). I'm considering the 2022 term.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:36 am

Because of timing, 2021 chances are not great. 2022 might be better depending on what you do in the interim. If you're going to a well-regarded biglaw or boutique lit group in Colorado or the west coast, I think 10th Cir is in play for that time frame. Also consider applying broadly to 6/8/11. 9th Cir will be really tough but not impossible with good connections. Have you talked to your current judge about this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”