2021-2022 Clerkship Application Thread

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2021-2022 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm
No need for hysterics. If you submitted a generic cover letter/writing sample to her, even if you are a successful T-14 student, why would she go with you over valedictorian from UKansas or another T-14 with actual ties?
So I guess it's worth saying the obvious - if you don't go to HYS and have no geographic ties to an area, you're screwed.
That's wrong. But you need something else going for you. I went to a law school outside of the t14 and had no geographic ties to areas where I got interviews and offers. What I had going for me was either something interesting on my resume that lined up with the idiosyncrasies of the judges or connections. If all you're sending is a generic cover letter and a generic resume, yeah, you're probably not going to get the job. There's nothing that stands out about it. And frankly, speaking solely for my judges, the same would be true for applicants who went to HYS.
right, okay, yes, sure, if you are in Fed Soc or a veteran, congrats, your idiosyncrasies work for some judges.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:46 pm
nixy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 pm
Vratil (Kansas City in *Kansas*) has filled. I've honestly lost all hope - Kansas City, KS seems like the last place people would go for a clerkship, so I assume all non-competitive districts have extended offers.
The bolded is incredibly narrow-minded (for one thing, there are in fact people from Kansas City at T14s, even HYS!). Chances are good judges in Kansas City actively try to avoid attitudes like this.
To the contrary, my post was more of a litmus test observation on how the market is moving, since the general/false hope consensus of everyone on the thread is that non-competitive districts aren't offering yet and that only feeder/COAs are. To the degree that it's a reflection on my attitude, it's pretty well established on this thread that most people prefer to work for elite judges/feeders/in big cities. Obviously, people with geographical ties are advantaged, but given that Kansas City, Kansas isn't the most well-known Kansas City in the country; one would assume less applicants.
“Fewer” applicants.

One judge in Kansas City, KS (a suburb of Kansas City, MO) being done is not a signal about what every non-feeder judge has done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Vratil (Kansas City in *Kansas*) has filled. I've honestly lost all hope - Kansas City, KS seems like the last place people would go for a clerkship, so I assume all non-competitive districts have extended offers.
The bolded is incredibly narrow-minded (for one thing, there are in fact people from Kansas City at T14s, even HYS!). Chances are good judges in Kansas City actively try to avoid attitudes like this.
To the contrary, my post was more of a litmus test observation on how the market is moving, since the general/false hope consensus of everyone on the thread is that non-competitive districts aren't offering yet and that only feeder/COAs are. To the degree that it's a reflection on my attitude, it's pretty well established on this thread that most people prefer to work for elite judges/feeders/in big cities. Obviously, people with geographical ties are advantaged, but given that Kansas City, Kansas isn't the most well-known Kansas City in the country; one would assume less applicants.
“Fewer” applicants.

One judge in Kansas City, KS (a suburb of Kansas City, MO) being done is not a signal about what every non-feeder judge has done.
KCK resident. Calling KCK a suburb of KC is honestly really insulting and demonstrates some geographic snobbiness and illiteracy. People in KCK consider us different from KC, even though we're seven minutes apart, because we cross a state line and do completely different focuses (KC is more sports and glitz, KCK is more economics). We have separate sporting teams (Sporting Kansas City is in Kansas, the football Chiefs are in Missouri). Most people living in KC would not consider KCK a suburb, either.

Not taking a stance on OP's concern, but just making this clear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Rogers (6th Cir.) is done for 2021.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No need for hysterics. If you submitted a generic cover letter/writing sample to her, even if you are a successful T-14 student, why would she go with you over valedictorian from UKansas or another T-14 with actual ties?
So I guess it's worth saying the obvious - if you don't go to HYS and have no geographic ties to an area, you're screwed.
That's wrong. But you need something else going for you. I went to a law school outside of the t14 and had no geographic ties to areas where I got interviews and offers. What I had going for me was either something interesting on my resume that lined up with the idiosyncrasies of the judges or connections. If all you're sending is a generic cover letter and a generic resume, yeah, you're probably not going to get the job. There's nothing that stands out about it. And frankly, speaking solely for my judges, the same would be true for applicants who went to HYS.
right, okay, yes, sure, if you are in Fed Soc or a veteran, congrats, your idiosyncrasies work for some judges.
Different anon.

Not quite true but those can help.

My first judge and I both had huge interests in our state's politics. Judge had worked in politics as a top official for a long time and we were able to talk state politics for an hour it seemed.

My second judge and I worked at the same non-profit (but didn't overlap). The work was very meaningful to both of us.

I had never been to the cities where the interviews took place. Think big state like CA/TX/NY/FL. So geography, sort of, but anybody from these places knows how different a 5-hour drive can make a place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iowahawk

New

Post by Iowahawk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm
nixy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
“Fewer” applicants.

KCK resident. Calling KCK a suburb of KC is honestly really insulting and demonstrates some geographic snobbiness and illiteracy. People in KCK consider us different from KC, even though we're seven minutes apart, because we cross a state line and do completely different focuses (KC is more sports and glitz, KCK is more economics). We have separate sporting teams (Sporting Kansas City is in Kansas, the football Chiefs are in Missouri). Most people living in KC would not consider KCK a suburb, either.

Can’t tell if trolling or serious but lol either way

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Any movement from Graber (9th Cir.) or Barrett (7th Cir.)? Both for 2022.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm
Any movement from Graber (9th Cir.) or Barrett (7th Cir.)? Both for 2022.
Barrett made at least one '22 hire a couple months ago.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm

No disrespect meant to KCK; I defer to your much greater knowledge. I probably should have said part of the KC greater metro area rather than a suburb.

(though I also presume you wouldn’t describe KCK as the last place people would go for a clerkship.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pandain01

New

Post by Pandain01 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 pm

Just realized I'm late to this game. I'm applying for 2022-2023 clerkships - particuarly looking for feeder judges. is it already too late for many many clerkships?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am neither. The idiosyncrasy that seemed to help me the most was sports related.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Pandain01 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 pm
Just realized I'm late to this game. I'm applying for 2022-2023 clerkships - particuarly looking for feeder judges. is it already too late for many many clerkships?
For many of the most competitive judges, yes, particularly in the 2d Circuit/SDNY, most of DDC, and a few in the DC Circuit (Millett for sure, Pillard has filled some for 2022 already). But there are many more who have only filled 2021 and probably won't start filling 2022/23 until the fall at least. I'd also say that unless you're like top 5% at HYS, and probably even then, you shouldn't pass up other opportunities with non-feeder judges you'd be happy to clerk for on the hope that you'll get a feeder down the line.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Pandain01 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you were in the running for feeder judges, one would think your professors/law school would give you the head's up when they're moving. But I guess it depends on your law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:22 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:14 pm
Pandain01 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you were in the running for feeder judges, one would think your professors/law school would give you the head's up when they're moving. But I guess it depends on your law school.
I definitely think it depends on your school. I’ve heard that and they never really gave me any sort of VIP treatment or help but I was able to get an interview with a pretty well-known semi-feeder on 2/7/9.

To the poster: many feeders filled for 2022. Those that haven’t will likely wait until summer 2021 to hire (and I assume they will mainly be looking for c/o 2022). Your best best is applying next summer for 2022 as well as the 2023 term

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a magistrate judge clerk going on to be a COA clerk? Curious if that was at all a possibility for the most reputable courts/mag judges

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Pandain01 wrote:
Definitely not true at my HYSCCN. Especially for 1Ls a heads up, if any, would probably be from Fed Soc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm
Has anyone ever heard of a magistrate judge clerk going on to be a COA clerk? Curious if that was at all a possibility for the most reputable courts/mag judges
I am doing this, but I think it's still more common to go MJ-->DJ-->COA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm
I am doing this, but I think it's still more common to go MJ-->DJ-->COA.
It's the exception, and the MJ clerk will have had the qualifications for COA (magna+coif+LR) in the first place.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Pandain01 wrote:
Definitely not true at my HYSCCN. Especially for 1Ls a heads up, if any, would probably be from Fed Soc.
I stand corrected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 am

Anyone heard from state supreme courts (or DC court of appeals?). Can't tell if they move slower or if I just didn't make the cut.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 am
Anyone heard from state supreme courts (or DC court of appeals?). Can't tell if they move slower or if I just didn't make the cut.
Depends heavily on the state and basically nobody applies to them broadly (unlike federal courts). You’re more likely to get answers if you ask about the specific one you’re into. I think Iowa has been done for some time, it moves well before Plan day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am

Anybody heard of movement this week or should we just expect trickles over the next few months?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Know friends with interviews at top state court in NY, PA, DC, NJ

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Know friends with interviews at top state court in NY, PA, DC, NJ
Thank you! I'm curious about Washington, Alaska, NC, Maine, and Mass as well!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Any news on Capser (D. Mass.)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”