2021-2022 Clerkship Application Thread

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2021-2022 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:58 pm
As someone who's ~T20% + LR at a lower T14, this process is disheartening. At OCI, it seemed like there was a sliding scale between your credentials and your job prospects, so if you did pretty well but not top of the class, you were still likely to get some interviews, if not as many as the people at the top.

But with clerkships, it feels like it's more of a cliff than a sliding scale. Like if you're not elite (ie. HYSCCN or T10% at a lower T14) and you don't have connections, you're unlikely to get any interviews, even if you apply broadly. Wish I could go back in time to 1L and try harder.
Don't lose hope yet, my dude. The signs seem to be that most "regular" judges are moving slowly this year. It looks like only a handful of your run-of-the-mill D.Cts. have extended invites. So long as you applied broadly, I've got my fingers crossed that you still have a good shot. And so many judges now explicitly or implicitly prefer people with a couple years of experience that you can always have another bite at the apple down the line if this cycle doesn't work out for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm

I’ve gotten a bunch of good appellate interviews but nothing from district courts, and I’m applying in mostly highly selective districts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Reading between the lines in an email from a former clerk in a smaller "flyover" (hate that term but it works) district (think E.D. Cal., S.D. Ill.) that they're still reading applications. Not explicitly confirmed, but I think news of our own applications' deaths is greatly exaggerated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Why is the SCOTUS clinic so highly regarded for clerkship apps?
I'd guess intense application process where only like 10 people the school chooses get in, and then you know Pamela Karlan really well throughout the clinic
Plus Jeffrey Fisher who is one of the most well respected Supreme Court advocates. They're two of the big name recommenders at SLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:16 pm
Reading between the lines in an email from a former clerk in a smaller "flyover" (hate that term but it works) district (think E.D. Cal., S.D. Ill.) that they're still reading applications. Not explicitly confirmed, but I think news of our own applications' deaths is greatly exaggerated.
Last year I interned in a flyover, rural district for an On-Plan Judge; we were interviewing people pretty quickly, but also sending out invites for several days and reading apps over several days as well. So that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:16 pm
Last year I interned in a flyover, rural district for an On-Plan Judge; we were interviewing people pretty quickly, but also sending out invites for several days and reading apps over several days as well. So that wouldn't surprise me at all.
Thanks for this. Can you speak to the order in which invitations were sent? i.e. Was the order desirability, or just the order in which apps were read/flagged for review by outside recommenders?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for this. Can you speak to the order in which invitations were sent? i.e. Was the order desirability, or just the order in which apps were read/flagged for review by outside recommenders?
I think it was a bit of both. The judge didn't look at any apps until they were released, but he wasn't in a rush to get people, maybe in part b/c he was from a particularly competitive district (but still had plenty of top applicants). I will say, I think we were done by the end of June--certainly we'd finished interviewing, not sure if he'd made an offer though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I think it was a bit of both. The judge didn't look at any apps until they were released, but he wasn't in a rush to get people, maybe in part b/c he was from a particularly competitive district (but still had plenty of top applicants). I will say, I think we were done by the end of June--certainly we'd finished interviewing, not sure if he'd made an offer though.
That's super helpful - thank you! If I can bother you with another question, do you have a sense for how a MPV applicant who's slightly above median, secondary journal e-board, has strong recommenders, and is looking to practice in the big city in the same state but a different district may have fared? To the extent that you can know any of this in the abstract, of course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Danny Boggs moved yesterday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:45 pm
Feeling disheartened that I haven't heard from a single judge yet. I'm HYS with relatively strong grades (though probably not top 10% I'm assuming) + LR + SCOTUS clinic + strong recs (I'm assuming. One prof. let me read his). A classmate with similar stats has an offer in hand already on day two. Here's to hoping another wave of calls/emails will roll out soon...
If you mean SCOTUS clinic at S, there's no way you'll strike out, so hang in there. It can feel like that's the only credential that actually matters here.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:38 pm
That's super helpful - thank you! If I can bother you with another question, do you have a sense for how a MPV applicant who's slightly above median, secondary journal e-board, has strong recommenders, and is looking to practice in the big city in the same state but a different district may have fared? To the extent that you can know any of this in the abstract, of course.
That would have probably gotten an interview from my judge, or at least been in strong consideration. My judge definitely cared about ties, b/c his courthouse was an out of the way location, so he wanted people who actually wanted to be there, and didn't just see the clerkship as a stepping stone to moving across the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 pm

Any Cornell or Georgetown people heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 pm

C/o 2020 Georgetown, top 10% + secondary journal exec board, applied really broadly (mostly d cts). Haven't heard anything yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd guess intense application process where only like 10 people the school chooses get in, and then you know Pamela Karlan really well throughout the clinic
Plus Jeffrey Fisher who is one of the most well respected Supreme Court advocates. They're two of the big name recommenders at SLS.
Yes, what I meant was Pam Karlan and Jeff Fisher are incredibly connected to judges and place their students with calls/forwarding app materials every year. It's not the application process, which happens at the end of 1L and can seem idiosyncratic in that it doesn't strongly correlate with who ends up with the best grades/LR/other credentials you'd expect (though I'm sure there's a strategy behind the scenes).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, what I meant was Pam Karlan and Jeff Fisher are incredibly connected to judges and place their students with calls/forwarding app materials every year. It's not the application process, which happens at the end of 1L and can seem idiosyncratic in that it doesn't strongly correlate with who ends up with the best grades/LR/other credentials you'd expect (though I'm sure there's a strategy behind the scenes).
*Of course* it strongly (key word is *strongly*) correlates with the best grades. You think the top judges are routinely hiring a bunch of people from the clinic *without* excellent grades??? Lawlz. Come on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
*Of course* it strongly (key word is *strongly*) correlates with the best grades. You think the top judges are routinely hiring a bunch of people from the clinic *without* excellent grades??? Lawlz. Come on.
I said the application process doesn't strongly correlate (in response to someone speculating that the reason SCOTUS clinic is a strong credential is the "intense" application process--it's literally the same process as for every other clinic at the school). There are a number of people at the top of the class each year not in the clinic, and a number of people in the clinic each year below the top 10% of the class grades-wise.

Obviously to get a DC Circuit clerkship you need excellent grades in addition to whatever boost you get from Pam and/or Jeff, but that doesn't contradict what I was saying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I said the application process doesn't strongly correlate (in response to someone speculating that the reason SCOTUS clinic is a strong credential is the "intense" application process--it's literally the same process as for every other clinic at the school). There are a number of people at the top of the class each year not in the clinic, and a number of people in the clinic each year below the top 10% of the class grades-wise.

Obviously to get a DC Circuit clerkship you need excellent grades in addition to whatever boost you get from Pam and/or Jeff, but that doesn't contradict what I was saying.
I don't think anyone was saying that the **process** itself is a credential (that'd a weird thing to say—like saying, "oh you tried out for law review therefore that's a good indicator of something"??). Obviously the original suggestion was that getting selected = strong correlation w/ strong grades and that's true.

Sure, some people w/ great grades don't get in, others below top 10% do, but is there a strong correlation b/w top grades and getting in? Yeah.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think anyone was saying that the **process** itself is a credential (that'd a weird thing to say—like saying, "oh you tried out for law review therefore that's a good indicator of something"??). Obviously the original suggestion was that getting selected = strong correlation w/ strong grades and that's true.

Sure, some people w/ great grades don't get in, others below top 10% do, but is there a strong correlation b/w top grades and getting in? Yeah.

Agree to disagree, I guess. SLS has a small enough class size that if the clinic wanted the selection criteria to be just the top ten people in each class, it could do that. My point is that it does not do that, and that SCOTUS clinic still matters as a credential in the clerkship process beyond having tippy top grades. In other words, it's not like once you're in the top 10% at SLS you're just as well off without clinic as with it. The clerkship office readily admits this. The clinic itself is a credential that matters, and all I was saying is that it's *not* because it's a proxy for strong grades. Obviously you can feel free to disregard my insight as garbage; you do you. But I've seen a number of cycles from both sides of the process at this point, and my understanding is that SCOTUS clinic is a powerful credential because of Pam and Jeff's ability to place students, not because it's an easy proxy for grades. It's easy enough to sort SLS transcripts by # of prizes/percent Hs otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agree to disagree, I guess. SLS has a small enough class size that if the clinic wanted the selection criteria to be just the top ten people in each class, it could do that. My point is that it does not do that, and that SCOTUS clinic still matters as a credential in the clerkship process beyond having tippy top grades. In other words, it's not like once you're in the top 10% at SLS you're just as well off without clinic as with it. The clerkship office readily admits this. The clinic itself is a credential that matters, and all I was saying is that it's *not* because it's a proxy for strong grades. Obviously you can feel free to disregard my insight as garbage; you do you. But I've seen a number of cycles from both sides of the process at this point, and my understanding is that SCOTUS clinic is a powerful credential because of Pam and Jeff's ability to place students, not because it's an easy proxy for grades. It's easy enough to sort SLS transcripts by # of prizes/percent Hs otherwise.
Y'all wanna maybe slapfight about this clinic somewhere else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Ya can we drop the Stanford clinic fight and discuss our lingering anxiety and unhealthy coping habits?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I never said it was selecting the top 10 ppl in the class. I also never said that it was a proxy for strong grades (why would that proxy be necessary? lol. there's a transcript right there). I said there was a **strong correlation** w/ grades and selection, which is what you disputed. Yes the clinic helps for reasons beyond grades (duh), but part of why its students do well is strong grades to begin w/ for **many** ppl in it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm
discuss our lingering anxiety and unhealthy coping habits?
I've tripled my chocolate intake in the last 48 hours. Currently approaching exam season levels.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 pm
I never said it was selecting the top 10 ppl in the class. I also never said that it was a proxy for strong grades (why would that proxy be necessary? lol. there's a transcript right there). I said there was a **strong correlation** w/ grades and selection, which is what you disputed. Yes the clinic helps for reasons beyond grades (duh), but part of why it helps is strong grades to begin w/ for **many** ppl in it.
Can you PLEASE do this somewhere else

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm
Ya can we drop the Stanford clinic fight and discuss our lingering anxiety and unhealthy coping habits?
sorry lol, dropped. tangent.

i am just eating and playing sad music

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 pm

C/o 2020 Georgetown, top 10% + secondary journal exec board, applied really broadly (mostly d cts). Haven't heard anything yet.
C/o 2020 Georgetown, top 10% and secondary journal (not eboard). I've heard from two district court judges, one in a slightly more interesting district. My take is that the process is in flux at the moment. One judge wanted to interview immediately and the other next week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”