2021-2022 Clerkship Application Thread

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2021-2022 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:49 pm
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:10 pm
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:43 pm
Does anyone know anything about what some of the W.D. Pa. judges are like? Specifically Judge Bissoon?
I clerked for her. She's the best possible clerking experience you could ever have. Strict 9-5, maybe 9-6 if you are in trial. She's hands off with opinions. You write all her opinions from scratch, and, depending on writing ability, she provides light edits.

She's cool; a greater mentor. She'd give us mental health days sometimes just because Trump's in office. You get the idea. Very generous; always paid for drinks, meals, etc. when we went out. Couldn't say better things. Also, above all, she's incredibly sharp and intelligent. I don't think there's a better judge to clerk for in America.
Judge Bissoon seems like a great judge to clerk for. My understanding is that the earliest clerkship she has available right now is in 2025 for a two-year clerkship. As a 2020 grad, I would be beginning my clerkship as a 6th year and ending it at the beginning of my 8th year. How many years out of law school were you when you clerked, and do you think clerking that late in the game (for me) would make it difficult to transition back into private practice?
I was only two years out and was lucky to slide into someone’s spot that left early. Probably outed myself already, oh well.

But she’s had multiple clerks at that mark in their careers. All of them got what they wanted in Pittsburgh. She knows so many people there that she’s going to take care of you if you stay. If you don’t want to live in Pittsburgh ymmv.
Got it! Thanks so much! She seems amazing to work with.
I'm sorry--twenty twenty-five?? How is anyone supposed to commit to a job five years in advance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Any news on Judge Hazel? He recently posted a position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 pm
Any word on Jackson (D.D.C., 2020) or Wolski (C.F.C., 2020)? Jackson is now expired, and was only open for a week. Wolski still shows available for Sep 1 start date.
Also interested in Jackson and Chutkan (2021). The latter has been expired for a while but there doesn't seem to be an update on her webpage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am
Just got invited to V. Roberts's (EDMI) writing test. I heard its brutal...any insight?
Also interested in any insight on this! What do you mean by brutal btw - what have you heard?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Anybody know much about Mag. clerkships in EDVA? Particularly Alexandria? Seems like clerks primarily do civil work -- is that a firm rule? Any sense of if the clerkship is a good stepping stone? Also interested in D. Ct. Mag. clerkships, if there's any info on those. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Anybody heard anything from Mass. SJC? Or a sense of when interviews usually start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:32 pm
Anybody know much about Mag. clerkships in EDVA? Particularly Alexandria? Seems like clerks primarily do civil work -- is that a firm rule? Any sense of if the clerkship is a good stepping stone? Also interested in D. Ct. Mag. clerkships, if there's any info on those. Thanks!
I know all of the judges pretty well. I'm not entirely sure if the clerks would only do civil work, but I would assume so. To that end, I don't believe most of the clerks for the EDVA district judges do much criminal work either, though that is heavily judge dependent everywhere. EDVA clerkships tend to be fairly competitive, so I don't think its a great stepping stone and a number of the EDVA judges require 2 yr commitments, like Allen. Honestly, trying to get one a year earlier might have worked better, because there was intense competition and lobbying between the EDVA magistrate judges to get promoted by the Trump admin up to the open slots on EDVA, and I think Young might be bringing a former clerk assuming he ever gets confirmed. Miller/Leonard might still be in line for the other opening though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I know all of the judges pretty well. I'm not entirely sure if the clerks would only do civil work, but I would assume so. To that end, I don't believe most of the clerks for the EDVA district judges do much criminal work either, though that is heavily judge dependent everywhere. EDVA clerkships tend to be fairly competitive, so I don't think its a great stepping stone and a number of the EDVA judges require 2 yr commitments, like Allen. Honestly, trying to get one a year earlier might have worked better, because there was intense competition and lobbying between the EDVA magistrate judges to get promoted by the Trump admin up to the open slots on EDVA, and I think Young might be bringing a former clerk assuming he ever gets confirmed. Miller/Leonard might still be in line for the other opening though.
Incredibly helpful -- thank you! Quick follow up: do you have a sense of if an EDVA Mag. clerkship might be a good stepping stone to other (less-competitive) districts, because EDVA itself is pretty competitive? Trying to figure out if an EDVA Mag. clerkship could put me in a good position for a district clerkship in a different district, in the same way an SDNY Mag. or EDNY Mag. might. Though, this might be tied to a broader question about the value of Mag. clerkships. Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Incredibly helpful -- thank you! Quick follow up: any sense of whether an EDVA Mag. would be a good stepping stone to a district judge in another (less competitive) district? Wondering if the same logic re: SDNY Mag. and EDNY Mag. clerkships applies here, where a Mag. clerkship in a pretty competitive district is a good set-up to a district clerkship in another district. Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Any word on Jackson (D.D.C., 2020) or Wolski (C.F.C., 2020)? Jackson is now expired, and was only open for a week. Wolski still shows available for Sep 1 start date.
Also interested in Jackson and Chutkan (2021). The latter has been expired for a while but there doesn't seem to be an update on her webpage.
One of my professors reached out about a week ago to say that Chutkan emailed her about my application and asked some follow-up questions. Haven't heard anything else, so either she tossed my application or is moving slowly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Incredibly helpful -- thank you! Quick follow up: any sense of whether an EDVA Mag. would be a good stepping stone to a district judge in another (less competitive) district? Wondering if the same logic re: SDNY Mag. and EDNY Mag. clerkships applies here, where a Mag. clerkship in a pretty competitive district is a good set-up to a district clerkship in another district. Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate it!
I wouldn't really know, sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
One of my professors reached out about a week ago to say that Chutkan emailed her about my application and asked some follow-up questions. Haven't heard anything else, so either she tossed my application or is moving slowly.
Good luck! That is great that you were given a hard look.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Considering that she's been handling the federal death penalty litigation for the past few weeks, I'm not surprised she's moving slowly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Does anybody know the status of judges in N.D. Ill? Have Wood, Shah even started interviewing, several judges don't seem to have posted openings at all, etc. . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:22 pm
I'm SDNY MJ, and, yes. I've gotten interviews with judges in Illinois, Texas, and California, despite having no ties to those states. At the same time, I haven't gotten any interest from the NY districts. Granted, quite a few judges are still hiring, but SDNY/EDNY are still monstrously selective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:04 pm

[Deleted.]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ieveko

New

Post by ieveko » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:04 pm
if Biden wins the election (I'm a lib), for his first batch of judges to need clerks.
It will be interesting to see how the pace of nominations shakes out for Biden, I think there's a good chance that there won't be the same feast of immediate openings for graduates that there was for conservative students under Trump. At the COA level, there obviously aren't any vacancies right now, though some 80 year old Clinton appointees are just waiting for a Democrat to come in so they can retire. But plenty of Clinton appointees are still fairly active and may not be interested in taking senior status for a few more years. The only Circuit where there are several liberal judges in their 80's is the 7th, for the others the pace of new nominees may be more of a trickle.

District courts are obviously a different story, Biden could appoint basically all of W.D. Wash next February if he wanted. But if your goal is COA, you may want to look at conservatives, especially ones who are pleasant to work with, as you probably won't end up hearing that many political cases.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm
Does anybody know the status of judges in N.D. Ill? Have Wood, Shah even started interviewing, several judges don't seem to have posted openings at all, etc. . .
There's a full thread on NDIL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jackson has already scheduled multiple rounds of interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm
There's a full thread on NDIL.
ah, thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:55 pm

ieveko wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:04 pm
if Biden wins the election (I'm a lib), for his first batch of judges to need clerks.
It will be interesting to see how the pace of nominations shakes out for Biden, I think there's a good chance that there won't be the same feast of immediate openings for graduates that there was for conservative students under Trump. At the COA level, there obviously aren't any vacancies right now, though some 80 year old Clinton appointees are just waiting for a Democrat to come in so they can retire. But plenty of Clinton appointees are still fairly active and may not be interested in taking senior status for a few more years. The only Circuit where there are several liberal judges in their 80's is the 7th, for the others the pace of new nominees may be more of a trickle.

District courts are obviously a different story, Biden could appoint basically all of W.D. Wash next February if he wanted. But if your goal is COA, you may want to look at conservatives, especially ones who are pleasant to work with, as you probably won't end up hearing that many political cases.
Sorry, deleted the original post because I was worried it identified me a little too much--very good point. I'm hoping to do district and COA. Given that the first batch of Biden judges would likely be on district courts, I should probably still be applying aggressively to COA judges for later terms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 am

Anyone know much about Mag. Judge Meriweather in DC/other DDC magistrate judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 am
Anyone know much about Mag. Judge Meriweather in DC/other DDC magistrate judges?
Nothing about hiring, but I've been to hearings before Mag. Judge Meriweather, and she seems softspoken but very thoughtful. Her patience with one particularly difficult pro se litigant was commendable. I believe the consensus around the courthouse is that she's great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 am
Nothing about hiring, but I've been to hearings before Mag. Judge Meriweather, and she seems softspoken but very thoughtful. Her patience with one particularly difficult pro se litigant was commendable. I believe the consensus around the courthouse is that she's great.
Thank you so much, anon friend. That's exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Does anyone know if updating OSCAR applications actually ever gets your application a second look? I have an updated resume with info that I think makes me a stronger candidate, but it seems implausible to me that judges who already looked at my app would look a second time just because my OSCAR app was updated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”