Can You Be Vocally Political as a Bigfed Attorney? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Can You Be Vocally Political as a Bigfed Attorney?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2020 10:03 pm

My friends who are clerks cannot make political statements. Is that also the case for bigfed attorneys?

Anonymous User

Re: Can You Be Vocally Political as a Bigfed Attorney?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Usually no - you can't do political activity while at work, using work resources, in your official capacity, that kind of thing, but you can be politically active. You can't actually run for office yourself, but otherwise as long as you do it on your own time, not at work, and don't use your work to influence anything, you're good. Some agencies do have stricter limitations - usually (IIRC) the distinction is between partisan and non-partisan activity. You can work on a non-partisan political issue like voting rights or zoning, but you can't work to support a partisan candidate/organization. (Anon b/c I am a bigfed attorney.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:32 pm
Usually no - you can't do political activity while at work, using work resources, in your official capacity, that kind of thing, but you can be politically active. You can't actually run for office yourself, but otherwise as long as you do it on your own time, not at work, and don't use your work to influence anything, you're good. Some agencies do have stricter limitations - usually (IIRC) the distinction is between partisan and non-partisan activity. You can work on a non-partisan political issue like voting rights or zoning, but you can't work to support a partisan candidate/organization. (Anon b/c I am a bigfed attorney.)
Great information. I was asking about stuff off the clock; I’d hope at work things should remain apolitical. What about donations? I imagine those are OK even if partisan? Local elections are a thing I care about, even if I can’t wear a shirt or go to a rally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:08 am

Yeah, to my understanding that’s fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Federal employees cannot make any kind of speech or engage in any activity that violates the Hatch Act.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm
Federal employees cannot make any kind of speech or engage in any activity that violates the Hatch Act.
Yup. I’m the anon attorney above, donating to local races doesn’t violate the Hatch Act.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 pm

The Hatch Act will be your guide, but know that if your office is engaged in investigating political players or office holders (depending on your agency/department) and you take on a role in opposition to them, you might end up in the news.
https://newjerseyglobe.com/local/anti-organization-candidate-in-camden-is-a-federal-prosecutor-in-philadelphia/ wrote:In circumstances that are unusual but permissible, a federal prosecutor who works for the office that wiretapped George Norcross’ phones is among a group of progressive activists challenging the Camden County Democratic machine in the June 4 primary election.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”