Buying time until market bounces back Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Buying time until market bounces back

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 am

Hey all, Anon post with little info to avoid outing myself. Clerking now after being in BigLaw. Clerkship is in the same geographic region as my BigLaw gig, and it's where I'd ultimately like to stay. The problem, obviously, is the widespread hiring freezes. I've been applying to every clerkship opening I can find, but I want to make sure there aren't other short-term options I'm overlooking. I'm geographically flexible in the short term, but am not really looking to relocate for more than a year or two.

In sum, anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks, everyone. Stay safe out there.

Anonymous User

Re: Buying time until market bounces back

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 4:38 pm

OP here. Giving this a bump for good measure. I take the lack of response to mean there isn't anything I'm overlooking (which is what I expected). Feel free to chime in if you feel otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm a bit confused. Do you have the option to go back to your firm after your current clerkship? It seems like that would be the prudent move--going back to your firm--if that's an option. I think some of the more recent (as in the last few days) data regarding the virus/reopenings would suggest that perhaps the worst of the job market is behind us, but nobody really knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:31 pm
I'm a bit confused. Do you have the option to go back to your firm after your current clerkship? It seems like that would be the prudent move--going back to your firm--if that's an option. I think some of the more recent (as in the last few days) data regarding the virus/reopenings would suggest that perhaps the worst of the job market is behind us, but nobody really knows.
Basically it depends on the state of the economy. If things are good I'm 99% sure I can go back. My interest in a second clerkship (or something else of short duration) stems from my skepticism that the worst of the market is behind us.

There's also a little bit of a worry on my end that even if I can go back immediately, a clerkship bonus won't be in the cards. Not a huge deal, but something to consider nonetheless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”