Reneging offer for Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Reneging offer for Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:36 am

I have seen some post on this, but I am looking for a clearer answer. I accepted an offer for an OCIJ clerkship. Prior to acceptance, I had been applying to multiple clerkships with basically no success. I kept the clerkships out there in possibility that one might work out. Low and behold, I finally got an interview with a judge at a district court! The clerkships is closer to my overall career goals. However, I do still have interest in working in DOJ someday, though hopefully not immigration. Which leaves me with my question, would reneging my acceptance (before any background investigation or start date has occurred) get me black listed at the DOJ or any other negative consequences?

I might not have to consider this (I don’t have the clerkships yet), but because I don’t want to waste the judge’s time, I want to fully consider the pros and cons. In general, I want the federal clerkship, but I am nervous about it closing all opportunities for me to the DOJ at later date.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: OCIJ v. District Clerkship

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:43 am

Consider asking the judge about later terms and explain the situation. Reneging on the DOJ-EOIR will have adverse consequences for later applications.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Re: OCIJ v. District Clerkship

Post by Fireworks2016 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am

I have difficulty seeing how you can interview with the DJ and not disclose that you've already accepted an offer. That said, I absolutely would withdraw from the OCIJ clerkship for federal district court. No contest there.

alpacino1234321

New

Re: Reneging offer for Clerkship

Post by alpacino1234321 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:59 pm

It could work out for you but it will surely hurt future EOIR applicants from your law school.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sat May 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Do you guys know this for sure? Are you all employed by the EOIR and involved in hiring? lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 am

I for one think people overstate the notion of bridge-burning in these types of situations.

I wouldn’t pass up a chance at a full on a3 clerkship cause you’re worried about harming chances with one DOJ honors sector. Your subsequent employment options will (or at least should, but who really knows ITE) be immensely better following fedclerk than following immigration judge clerkship. Anything you sacrifice in the bridge burning category will be well worth it. And i would say this even if you know for a fact you wouldn’t be able to exit into any facet of DOJ honors due to the withdrawal.

And I’ll at that DOJ is such a significant bureaucracy that I think it’s far from a guarantee that you’ll harm a future ap there.

ayylmao

Silver

Post by ayylmao » Sun May 03, 2020 3:54 pm

You just have to take the Art. III clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 pm

It’s not ideal, but you have to take the (fairly small) risk of burning the bridge. An AIII clerkship is a major career-launcher that will be on your resume for the rest of your life, EOIR is one of the least desirable jobs in DOJ and you don’t sound like you want to do immigration.

texanslimjim

New

Post by texanslimjim » Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 pm

No way the general rule against reneging on clerkships applies equally to immigration court clerkships.

I would apply that rule unequivocally to A3 judges, with mild reservation to A1 judges and SSC judges, and not at all to ALJs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”