Better to take fed courts or gun for magna? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Better to take fed courts or gun for magna?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Late to the game here but I’m adding another vote for Fed Courts, and maybe for the less gunner-attracting professor if you think it makes a difference (I don’t know anything about the HLS faculty). I clerked on the 9th and for a district court in a second-tier East Coast district (think EDPA, D.Mass, etc.). Both of my judges strongly preferred that applicants both took and did well in Fed Courts (and if you were interviewing as a 2L, they strongly advised you to take it 3L if you hadn’t already). This was the only course the district judge had such a strong feeling about; the circuit judge also felt similarly about Admin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Bumping this because I have the same question, only the difference between magna and cum laude would be taking fed courts for a letter grade versus pass/fail. Does that change anything? Also, at CCN so not gunning for a feeder or anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm
Bumping this because I have the same question, only the difference between magna and cum laude would be taking fed courts for a letter grade versus pass/fail. Does that change anything? Also, at CCN so not gunning for a feeder or anything.
Do you have a clerkship secured already? Imo a non-mandatory P/F on a class as important as Fed Courts would raise some eyebrows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm
Do you have a clerkship secured already? Imo a non-mandatory P/F on a class as important as Fed Courts would raise some eyebrows.
I don't have anything secured, wondering how much it will hurt my chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stupididiot

New

Post by stupididiot » Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am

Update us OP. Did you take Fed Courts? Did you get magna?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am

stupididiot wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am
Update us OP. Did you take Fed Courts? Did you get magna?
Also curious what happened. Looking back at OP's question and the various posters who offered advice, I think the clear right answer was to take Fed Courts but to protect the GPA by taking it with the non-heavy hitters at HLS. That is, take it with Field or Jackson or anyone else other than Goldsmith or Fallon. And LOL to the poster who said Fed Courts is "easy", presumably relative to what it means to be easy or hard in law school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”